Active Topics

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
For anyone who was using USB LAN connections in Chinook but found that they were stranded in Diablo, here's the info you've been looking for:

Nokia was kind enough to half-fix the problem (they provided a module to support dummy connections, but it doesn't work quite as well as it should); they're saying that there will be a full/proper fix but that will come later when the developers have more time (i.e. Sept?).

Anyways, in the mean time I've taken what they put forth and done some hacking up to get it bundled into the latest version of the usbLAN package that you can grab from my support files here:
http://www.electronicproductonline.c....3.0_armel.deb

I've confirmed that it works on Diablo without issue; the only big difference between using the package on Diablo VS Chinook is that instead of getting a connection named "WIRED" showing up int he connections panel, it's called "Dummy" (that was one of the issues with the Nokia provided solution thus far... the DUMMY connection is hardwired to be called Dummy).

Outside of that though it works exactly the same way: install package along with Dbus-Scripts, connect network adapter to ethernet cable, plug network adapter into USB port using OTG (if desired), select "Dummy" from the available connections in the connection manager, and away you go.
When you're done, disconnect the USB cable and the Dummy connection will automatically disappear.

Details for anyone who's unsure about the process are in the Wiki Entry:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/wi...de_and_OS_2008

I'm also going to add another post to the main General forum describing this since this one's pretty tucked away and I think a lot of users are going to miss it here.

Thanks,
-Rob

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to jolouis For This Useful Post:
I was able to easily share a wireless connection on my tablet by using a small proxy server:

http://www.acme.com/software/micro_proxy/

(attribution style license, very compact)

Yes, I could turn it into a full NAT router using iptables or such, but I just needed to update some wireless drivers for my laptop so I needed to use my tablet to connect to the internet wirelessly, but ethernet to the laptop until the new drivers were installed.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tz1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by jolouis View Post
When you're done, disconnect the USB cable and the Dummy connection will automatically disappear.
Is there a way to change that behaviour?

If you'd like to have the DUMMY IAP present all the time then all you need to do is install the original Nokia fix:
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3306

(Basically just apt-get install libicd-network-dummy)

This will permanently install the dummy connection; the usbLAN package is setup so that if you have your dummy network setup this way it will simply leave it alone and forgoe the "auto add/auto remove" functionality for the Dummy connection.

Thanks,
-Rob

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jolouis For This Useful Post:
Thank you for this timely driver. My Linksys connector arrived and my first attempt went very well .

Posts: 166 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Hampshire, UK
Thanks for sorting this out, will be ready for my holidays now, I was dreading not being able to connect to a wired LAN while away.

Can you have two dummy connections? One for bluetooth pan and one for usb networking?

Speaking of usb networking, anyone get it working under XP yet?

Originally Posted by st5150 View Post
Can you have two dummy connections? One for bluetooth pan and one for usb networking?

Speaking of usb networking, anyone get it working under XP yet?
Not yet. Nokia half-patched it because they really didn't understand the uses of the old functionality. The full patch (which will allow two) is coming later, though, as they have been enlightened.

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Not yet. Nokia half-patched it because they really didn't understand the uses of the old functionality.
Technically Benson's right, the question comes down to how sneaky the BT PAN guys get with their package. The way I handled USB LAN was to make it symlink the dummy module when a USB LAN adapter was attached, and remove the link again when the adapter was disconnected. Theoretically if the PAN guys setup some kind of "Launcher" (or a command line that you run, whatever, I've never used PAN so I'm not entirely sure here), they could use the same trick, so that while you can't technically have two DIFFERENT dummy connections, you can cheat and have the same "dummy" connection only enabled for a specific purpose at any specific time. (i.e. when you activate PAN, the dummy connection is installed and used for PAN; when you're done with PAN the dummy goes away. When you connect USB LAN, the dummy connection comes back for it, and when you're done, dummy connection once again goes away). Not quite as good as a proper fix, but it would certainly suit most purposes I bet... but, that's up to the PAN guys ;o)

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Rob, you flat out rock. I hereby add you to the list of the We Need To Get Together In Real Life For A Beer contingent.

Disclaimer: aforementioned crew is known to be crude, rude, motley and largely in need of showers (especially when rcadden is present). Join at your own risk. Sponsors and recruiters not responsible for effects of beer.