Active Topics

Hey guys,

I just bought a touch-screen, tough book laptop for my 2 year old son. He can't use mice but he's great with touch screens. I'm basically just trying to set it up so he can easily watch his cartoons. Nothing too fancy.

At first I was going to just customize a window manager or build a custom app for this. Then I thought about using MeeGo instead ... it'll give me a chance to play with it at the very least.

Would it be feasible to setup MeeGo on an x86 laptop with touchscreen? I've honestly never played with it so I don't know if it sits at a fixed resolution. I'm sure there are plenty of other aspects I haven't thought about as well.

Thanks

I have MeeGo (Netbook UX, Tablet UX and Handset UX) running on my O2 Joggler (X86 Intel Atom CPU). It's entirely possible with the knowledge.

I have also ported WeTab OS on to it which is MeeGo-based.

Awesome, I'm glad to know it's do-able. Was there a lot of hassle when you set it up yourself?

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Birmingham - UK
which model netbook have you got ?

I installed Meego on my Asus EeePC 1000HE. Very easy to install, and worked beautifully. Unfortunately, VLC wouldn't install, so I was left without subtitle support for my German movies, but other than that I would recommend just giving it a shot.

It's actually an Itronix Gobook 2 I picked up off of ebay for $125. I'm going to try to just use Debian first to see what all drivers and hardware works. When I have more information about what works with this specific system then I'll definitely give this a shot. I'll let you guys know if it works out!

Originally Posted by kurtis View Post
Itronix Gobook 2
With Debian, probably, but not MeeGo (as currently built.) This is mostly because the CPU used in that laptop does not support SSSE3 instructions. Additionally, it uses ATi graphics, which are not supported by default (or officially) on MeeGo.

You would need to rebuild it without the SSSE3 requirement, and add support for the Radeon Mobility graphics. This might be a little over the top for a $125 laptop.

Last edited by wmarone; 2011-04-08 at 01:59.

The Following User Says Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
With Debian, probably, but not MeeGo (as currently built.) This is mostly because the CPU used in that laptop does not support SSSE3 instructions. Additionally, it uses ATi graphics, which are not supported by default (or officially) on MeeGo.

You would need to rebuild it without the SSSE3 requirement, and add support for the Radeon Mobility graphics. This might be a little over the top for a $125 laptop.
Ahh okay. I'm glad you pointed that out before I wasted a whole weekend trying Thanks a lot!

Posts: 302 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ England
LXDE has a simple interface that'd go nice on a touchscreen or Sugar from the OLPC project. Tell me what you decide on in the end. Was thinking of modding an old eee 701 to be a tablet

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Reffyyyy View Post
I have MeeGo (Netbook UX, Tablet UX and Handset UX) running on my O2 Joggler (X86 Intel Atom CPU). It's entirely possible with the knowledge.

I have also ported WeTab OS on to it which is MeeGo-based.
I've been looking for image for Joggler to try out Tablet UX. We tab OS would be very interesting too.
Could you please share info/installable image to be able to do that?