Poll: Would U like N9 "Swipe UI" for N900 ?
Poll Options
Would U like N9 "Swipe UI" for N900 ?

When I look at the swipe UI of the N9 I think that almost all the ingrediants for this are available within the current Maemo 5 install.

I would love a status area button to switch between Hildon desktop or portait swipe UI, Swiping between Dashboard, App menu and a selectable prefered app (for me the phone app)

Anybody thinking the same?

(excuse me for my englisch)

Last edited by Teun; 2011-06-30 at 07:34.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Teun For This Useful Post:
we can copy it and rewrite it, the core its easily ported.

@jo21
you cant...its not open sourced

Posts: 535 | Thanked: 598 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Republic of the Philippines
Isn't there some sort of hardware magic at the sides of the screen too? I think I read somewhere that it's also sensitive to the touch so swiping actually starts from the edge.

@vetsin
N900 is also sensitive on the sides (only in landscape).
The N900 OS also uses some small swipe movements like in the browser to show the select arrow or to go back..

The Following User Says Thank You to Pillum For This Useful Post:
Can it be build ?

On unlocking open menu (not Hildon) in portrait

Swipe from left to right open prefered app

Swip from right to left open dashboard, again open last run app

Swipe back for dash board, again for menu, again for prefered app

Thats all. (I am not a coder... just a user so don't blaim me if I make this sound simple)

You can almost emulate by using just dashboard and app menu by holding protrait and touch interface.

Posts: 535 | Thanked: 598 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Republic of the Philippines
Originally Posted by Pillum View Post
@vetsin
N900 is also sensitive on the sides (only in landscape).
The N900 OS also uses some small swipe movements like in the browser to show the select arrow or to go back..
wow! i didn't know that the sides are sensitive. thanks for the info! hehe
i'd better start mastering swiping in my browser in case we have swipe in our phone!
though honestly, i'm not that interested in swipe UX. hehe but it would be nice to have.

edit: i just tried it. it's a whole easier to use now that i know how it works! hmm... any devs interested?

Last edited by vetsin; 2011-06-30 at 18:07.

Posts: 770 | Thanked: 558 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Abidjan
Maybe they are interrested but as the N9 is out yet, I wonder how this functionality would be ported/implemented in our N900. Let's wait, after all, Meego is Maemo + Moblin. There is still a part of ou N900 in this new phone.

@Boemien I don't expect anything from Nokia.. they have erased the N900 from there books.

Still a portrait mode of the desktop was one of the wishes. I think the N9 shows that you don't need a desktop to use the device.

Maybe that's an option: a way to turn off the desktop

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Didn't someone say that the new UI is almost 100% closed source? We'll have to see about that...

Anyways, nobody's porting anything as long as that rootfs.lzo file ISN'T unpacked.