Hi... everyone ...

decided after years to reuse my N900... downloaded latest images and flash3.5...

Flashing went smoothly and then it asked for lock code after restart... which of course I forgot...

Most solutions offered here needs access to the terminal, so no solution for me...

Going through Updating the firmware:

Flashing the eMMC and rootfs on your N900 will completely reset the device to factory settings, reverting everything to factory settings, including /home with all (app-)preferences, bookmarks, contacts, communications, but again, excluding the external memory on micro-SD card and the lockcode. (you MUST flash rootfs as well, when flashing eMMC (because of /opt deletion)
Does this mean I can't use my N900 anymore???
Or is there a way to reset the lock code?

Posts: 862 | Thanked: 2,511 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Germany
Originally Posted by abuakram View Post
decided after years to reuse my N900... downloaded latest images and flash3.5...
good decision

Flashing went smoothly and then it asked for lock code after restart... which of course I forgot...

Most solutions offered here needs access to the terminal, so no solution for me...
In the past you could bypass the lock code by flashing and resetting it afterwards with recoverlock. But this got fixed by the latest firmware as far as I know.

So a ssh connection would be helpfull to bypass the lock code with a dbus command and to read the encrypted code from mtd1 and decrypting it with john or to install recoverlock for resetting it to 12345.

bypassing:
Code:
dbus-send --system --type=method_call --dest=com.nokia.system_ui /com/nokia/system_ui/request com.nokia.system_ui.request.devlock_close string:"com.nokia.mce" string:"/com/nokia/mce/request" string:"com.nokia.mce.request" string:"devlock_callback" uint32:'0'
reading:
Code:
echo root:$(grep -A 13 lock_code /dev/mtd1|tail -1): > /home/user/MyDocs/lock_code
decrypting (john is in extras-devel repository):
Code:
john -format:DES -i:digits /home/user/MyDocs/lock_code

But after flashing you will not have ssh installed.

Does this mean I can't use my N900 anymore???
Or is there a way to reset the lock code?
But hey there is still a way. I will quote myself.

The easiest method is to use a rescue os image which you booting with the help of the flash program.

There you can make a code_reset or you can grep the lock_code from /dev/mtd1 and with the help of john you can decrypt the code by brute force.

As you flashed your device you already have the flasher installed, and you can go on here:
rescue os
rescue os documentation

Other way could be to use my live image with included flasher and rescue os.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Halftux For This Useful Post:
@Halftux, Thanks alot for your more than helpful reply

The bypass method needs the n900 terminal which I can't get to...

So I guess I'll check out the rescue os and your live image...

I post the outcome

After resetting the lock code with your live image another flash is needed, right?

Posts: 862 | Thanked: 2,511 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Germany
After resetting the lock code with your live image another flash is needed, right?
No.

You need to load the rescue os into the ram, therefore the flasher is needed but no changes will happen to the N900 by booting it. You can download the image (rescueOS-1.3.img) from this side:

https://quitesimple.org/page/N900rescueOS

Please read the documentation about rescue os how to load the image and continue reading the documentation how to reset the lock code and read more the documentation how to poweroff the device.

After reset and power off, disconnect and restart and you are done.

My live image is only for people who struggle to install the flasher and as an extra I included the rescue image.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Halftux For This Useful Post:
Wunderbar... ein Versuch ist es wert

Danke Danke und alles Gute

rescueOS did the job well...

I managed within minutes to reset the lock code...

Thanks