Hi !

In the ringtone settings screen, when we add a sound in a category (email, chat, etc.), it remains in the list even if it is not chosen.

The list of proposed sounds seems to come from the "/etc/ringtones" file, but adding a new choice in a category doesn't modify the "/etc/ringtones" file.

So, where is list of "non-default sounds" written ?
I tried to turn off/remove battery/turn on my device and the sounds added were still proposed (so they are not only stored in a kind of cache).

An advice : Never let your phone to a friend who find fun to put xxx sounds with a xxx name as your ringtone

Posts: 88 | Thanked: 35 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Czech Republic
user/home/.ring-tones

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MaemoJirka For This Useful Post:
Wow many thanks !

I was sure to have grepped this directory but I certainly missed it

Just another question : How did you know what file it was ? Is there some manual I could read with this kind of information ?

Posts: 230 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Helsinki, Suomi (Finland)
Originally Posted by Bearserker View Post
How did you know what file it was ? Is there some manual I could read with this kind of information ?
In Linux the user settings are traditionally in user's home directory ~ in hidden files/directories. (names beginning with a dot ".") Names of these files and directories often correspond with system wide settings that are found in /etc.

There are plenty of Linux handbooks downloadable on the net. Can't really recommond any specific one...maybe someone else knows better.