Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
(Experimental) Debian 7 (Wheezy) images :

1) Sulu's squeeze upgraded to wheezy :
- "debian-wheezy-upgrade-sulu.img.ext2.lzma" (506MB compressed), ext2 image with 2.0 GB (240MB free);
- with Abiword 2.9.2, Gnumeric 1.10.17, Iceweasel/Firefox 10.0.6 (without Flash / Java plugins), Python 2.7.3;
- Chromium ( 20.0.1132.57) doesn't work (there is a bug);
- Leafpad, Midnight Commander, Xarchiver, Xf (File Explorer, File Packager, Image, View, Writer), Claws Mail, ePDFViewer, gv (GhostView), ImageMagick, Geeqie, Audacity, Brasero, Music Player, VLC media player, etc;
- there is no wallpaper and menu when "clicked" in desktop background;
- it is already "Harmattanized", ready to be used by Easy Debian Harmattan.

2) Estel's squeeze upgraded to wheezy :
- "debian-wheezy-upgrade-estel.img.ext3.lzma" (1002MB compressed), ext3 image with 3.0 GB (708MB free);
- with LibreOffice 3.5.4, Iceweasel/Firefox 10.0.6 (without Flash / Java plugins), Icedove/Thunderbird 10.0.5, Python 2.7.3;
- Chromium doesn't work (there is a bug);
- Leafpad, Xarchiver, Putty SSH Client, Evince, gv (GhostView), Aqualung, Brasero, GNOME Alsa Mixer, Music Player, PulseAudio, etc;
- "/.debian/var/run/onfirstchroot-ext.rc" doesn't umount "/home/user/" so "/home/user" is shared with Maemo/MeeGo;
- dpkg and apt-get will show warnings "Errors were encountered while processing: network-manager network-manager-gnome", which can be ignored;
- it is already "Harmattanized", ready to be used by Easy Debian Harmattan.

3) Sulu's wheezy "Sci" modified (from Scientific, with many softwares about programming and science) :
- "debian-wheezy-sulu-Sci.img.ext2.lzma" (757MB compressed), ext2 image with 3.0 GB (486MB free);
- with LibreOffice 3.5.4, Abiword 2.9.2, Gnumeric 1.10.17, Iceweasel/Firefox 10.0.6 (with Flash & Java plugins), Icedove/Thunderbird 10.0.5;
- TeXMaker/TeXLive;
- wxMaxima 12.04 & Maxima 5.27.0, Yacas 1.3.2;
- Python 2.7.3 with IPython 0.13 (with notebook and Qt Console interfaces), NumPy 1.6.2, MatPlotLib 1.1.1, SciPy 0.10.1, Sympy 0.7.1, PyGlet 1.1.4;
- gcc/g++/gFortran 4.6.3, make, etc;
- Leafpad, Xarchiver, Evince, gv, GIMP, Filezilla, gFTP, SSVNC, gedit, Geany, etc;
- there is no wallpaper and menu when "clicked" in desktop background;
- gedit .desktop is edited so its icon appears in "Programming" desktop menu, and "IPython Notebook" icon is added;
- it is already "Harmattanized", ready to be used by Easy Debian Harmattan, with OpenOffice linked to LibreOffice.

These Debian wheezy images are experimental and not well tested. They are here to be tested and improved by other users.

Here a more detailed list of Debian images, with comments targetting MeeGo Harmattan users.

For MeeGo Harmattan : use Easy Chroot 0.2 onwards, which sets root with correct $PATH to apt-get, etc.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Last edited by rcolistete; 2012-08-27 at 21:52. Reason: Added suggestion to use Easy Chroot 0.2

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
@Estel You can replenish http://meegoforum.pl/instalacja-easy...mo-5-t559.html and instruct us how to install debian in a wheezy or N900 as it then uninstall?

Code:
~ $ sudo mkdir /.debian 
~ $ sudo qchroot /home/user/MyDocs/debian_wheezy0sulu.img /.debian
Mounting...
using image file: /home/user/MyDocs/debian_wheezy0sulu.img
fs type is img
Don't know img: Using ext2 file system
Using ext2 file system
mounting /home/user/MyDocs/debian_wheezy0sulu.img on loop
.../home/user/MyDocs/debian_wheezy0sulu.img mounted on loop0
Updating the /etc/mtab file...
Everything set up, running chroot...
[root@wheezy0sulu: /]
The file unpacks only the img, what about the?
How to install a permanent Debian Wheezy? How to create a startup and disconnect icon in Maemo menu for this ver. Easy Debian?

Last edited by pinochio; 2012-08-16 at 21:42.

I love the new wheezy images, I was still using the old squeeze ones but it had a lot of issues

Originally Posted by JadeH View Post
I love the new wheezy images, I was still using the old squeeze ones but it had a lot of issues
As it installed?

I'm back from vacation, and I have zillion of TMO threads to read, before getting into loop again, so please, be patient

I've managed to fix wicd problem - following my idea from here:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...postcount=2800
... I've purged everything that had wicd in name. Easiest way to do it that I was able to find is purging wicd *and* (with ED image *not* mounted, to not follow any symlinks to Maemo's folders):

(replace /dev/mmcblk0p3 with your ED partition)
Code:
mount /dev/mmcblk0p3 /.debian
cd /.debian
rm -r */*/*/*/*/*/*wicd*
rm -r */*/*/*/*/*wicd*
rm -r */*/*/*/*wicd*
rm -r */*/*/*wicd*
rm -r */*/*wicd*
rm -r */*wicd*
rm -r *wicd*
rm -r */*/*/*/*/*/*wicd
rm -r */*/*/*/*/*wicd
rm -r */*/*/*/*wicd
rm -r */*/*/*wicd
rm -r */*/*wicd
rm -r */*wicd
rm -r *wicd
rm -r */*/*/*/*/*/wicd*
rm -r */*/*/*/*/wicd*
rm -r */*/*/*/wicd*
rm -r */*/*/wicd*
rm -r */*/wicd*
rm -r */wicd*
rm -r wicd*
After that, you ma check that no wicd left-overs slipped in, via:

Code:
cd /.debian
find -name *wicd*
all wicd problems are gone, and LXDe startup time is back to normal (i.e, very fast) - at the end, I have image without both network-manager and wicd (and friends). There is no problem with apt-get, as wicd was purged before, anyway. It just seems, that uninstalling/purging wicd doesn't delete *any* files (bug in upstream wicd removal procedures?), so we fix it via manually deleting any traces of it.

Warning - it's quite radical solution, and no one can guarantee, that it won't break anything in ED image. Personally, I'm using many things in Ed for a week now, without any regressions, but do it on Your risk.
---

Chromium still isn't working, and I have no freakin' idea why it spazms out. I've installed Iceweasel back, and enhanced it with extension, that allow microB-like grab&drag (again, retaining possibility to highlight text). I can't find a way to delete scrollbars *and* reclaim saved space for rendering web page

It isn't very important, as Iceweasel is still unusably slow, as in slow -> slower -> firefox (iceweasel). Sure, Chromium wasn't performance beast, but Iceweasel is hopeless in comparison.

Other than that, everything works great in Wheezy ED

/Estel

// Edit

I'm aware that my "solution" for nuke'ing wicd remnants is lame, and that it could be implemented in some smart one-liner - I was pissed off by WICD, and haven't had time for delicate formatting If some sh guru can improve it, feel free to post better syntax'ed command here.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 244 | Thanked: 354 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Scotland
Disclaimer: Crap Solutions R US

Code:
MOUNTDEV=/dev/mmcblk0p3
MOUNTPOINT=/.debian

mount ${MOUNTDEV} ${MOUNTPOUNT}

URI=http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/all/

for PACKAGE in wicd-daemon wicd-gtk wicd-curses wicd-cli wicd-client
do
    for FILE in $(wget -qO- ${URI}/${PACKAGE}/filelist | grep ^/)
    do
        rm -f ${MOUNTPOINT}${FILE}
    done
done
This might work better ...

Code:
find /.debian -type f -name '*wicd*' -delete

Last edited by gregoranderson; 2012-08-20 at 18:35.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gregoranderson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 244 | Thanked: 354 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Scotland
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
I've managed to fix wicd problem - following my idea from here:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...postcount=2800.
I also found this:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...ml#post3897912

Which in effect is:
Code:
cp /etc/xdg/autostart/wicd-tray.desktop ~/.config/autostart/
and then edit ~/.config/autostart/wicd-tray.desktop to disable wicd from starting ... but I'm pissing in the wind here given I'm not running Easy Debian.

So, I'll download an image tonight and have a fiddle to see if we can come to a better solution than wiping out a load of files.

The Following User Says Thank You to gregoranderson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
I've installed Iceweasel back, and enhanced it with extension, that allow microB-like grab&drag (again, retaining possibility to highlight text). I can't find a way to delete scrollbars *and* reclaim saved space for rendering web page
Could you give the name(s) of the extension(s) you installed to enhance Iceweasel, especially to allow the grab & drag behavior?

Originally Posted by gregoranderson View Post

This might work better ...

Code:
find /.debian -type f -name '*wicd*' -delete
Thanks!

Originally Posted by gregoranderson View Post
I also found this:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...ml#post3897912

Which in effect is:
Code:
cp /etc/xdg/autostart/wicd-tray.desktop ~/.config/autostart/
and then edit ~/.config/autostart/wicd-tray.desktop to disable wicd from starting ... but I'm pissing in the wind here given I'm not running Easy Debian.

So, I'll download an image tonight and have a fiddle to see if we can come to a better solution than wiping out a load of files.
The thing is, that we don't need wicd neither network-manager, as network access is provided by Maemo anyway, so no need for wicd files to sit inside our ED partition/image.

Also, the whole thing is that even after purge'ing via apt-get, it doesn't delete single file related to wicd, which sounds like obvious bug. wicd is only one package presenting such behavior in ED.

Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
Could you give the name(s) of the extension(s) you installed to enhance Iceweasel, especially to allow the grab & drag behavior?
I can't check it on N900 right now (doing backup via backupmenu), but if You search firefox add-ons for "drag and drop" and choose one with "acrobat" in name, it's the one that is most configurable and works best.

I've also tried "scrollbars anywhere" - which is exact same add-on as used in Chromium by us - but, firefox version is either crippled or unfinished, and doesn't work properly (not to mention that doesn't offer such configurability as Chromium's counterpart)

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2012-08-20 at 19:30.

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Thank you Estel. The add-on might by simply "Grab & Drag". I can't try it right now as I have not my N900 with me and Iceweasel won't launch in Easy Debian Harmattan (SCI image from Rcolistete).

The Following User Says Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:

Tags
beta, debian, easy debian, extras-devel, fremantle, i <3 qole, squeeze