Active Topics

Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Posts: 257 | Thanked: 2,053 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Warsaw, Poland
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year from the Neo900 team!

http://neo900.org/news-0007-happy-holidays

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to dos1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 18 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Nov 2013 @ Hungary
Thanks! Merry Christmas to the Neo900 team as well! Hopefully next year i'll be able to donate to the project, since i love the idea and i want a Neo900 for sure!

Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
Anyway such contacts can do other stuff as well, e.g. VGA ;-).
Hey, that would be super-cool! For all *practical* intents and purposes, VGA output would be as good as HDMI (if not better, due to compatibility with more monitors, including pre-DVI ones).

I know, I know, DVI and pixel-to-pixel accuracy stuff... But, I can't tell a difference in picture quality between DVI and VGA input on my 1680x1050 desktop monitor, so I care even less for N900's output. As long as it is better than goddamned PAL/NTSC downscale, I'm super-glad with analog

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Why not send article to 2600 magazine www.2600.com/magazine maybe they could publish it. And guess it would be another effort to attract more supporters of this project.

Merry Christmas

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ed00 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Vga output on neo ? I just tried my netbook vga port with a large moniter it was awsome like a regular display so why on earth people are going crazy for hdmi ? What extra offrings does it have ? Merry christmas

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Nov 2013 @ Hungary
Moar pixulz! Hdmi can transfer higher resolution. Of course if the phone display supports it as well, i guess. As i read vga cables can support higher resolutions on tv as well.

For me vga would be better for now, since there are no hdmi devices around

In fact, Analog outputs are perfectly capable of full-quality resolutions up to HDMI maximum. The whole thing about going digital was (more) about possibility to protect copyright (HD protected content, or how was it called) and (less) about digital "it work great or doesn't work at all" quality control for unexperienced users.

But, that's a little OT here

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Another bit of off topic (even not full offtopic ).

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2013-12-26 at 12:23.

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
If HDMI is not possible, then maybe Display Port?

Considering, that Display Port is basically a more feature-packed thing than HDMI - and HDMI was already considered "not worth the effort", due to amount of chips required to support it vs available space (not to mention lack of physical space on standard N900 case, unless we use MHL), Display Port might sound even less likely.

But, again, for all intent and purposes, VGA port should fulfill needs of everyone and their uncle. Quality/available resolutions are exactly same, we already have stereo audio out (or stereo line-in as promised, depending on needs), and for all of those three people that need digital audio out, USB hostmode allow that already, even on N900 (via connecting a USB DAC, acting as external sound card). I hardly see anyone needing Ethernet over DP, as we have it through USB, too - finally, if someone own this one in the world device that accept DVI signal but have *no* VGA input (with or without passive adapters), there are external VGA-to-DVI active converters, that could act as a middle-man.

This quite complete set of HDMI *or* Display Port usable features, so if we have usable VGA output, we have everything. Unless, of course, someone want to stream a HDCP content from Neo900 to TV, but such person can expect a mob with torches at door. and trip to re-education camp, soon enough to not being able to make an Neo900 purchase

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

Last edited by Estel; 2013-12-28 at 23:26.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, thank you!