Active Topics

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
http://thenokiablog.com/2011/06/29/nokia-us-uk-closed/

this certainly speaks to the overall struggles of nokia. while i could care less about handsets (their prices were among the highest) what about accessories?

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Doesn't make sense to me. Overhaul the online sales, don't dismantle them.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
how much less could you care?

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
Originally Posted by jerryfreak View Post
i dont know, that expression has never made sense to me

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

If I recall, the amount of complaints the U.S. online store got was insane. Mishandling of orders, unable to cancel pre-orders etc. Not to mention that Amazon and brick-mortors sometimes got the phone BEFORE the online store were able to ship them!

The Following User Says Thank You to bugelrex For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
If I recall, the amount of complaints the U.S. online store got was insane. Mishandling of orders, unable to cancel pre-orders etc. Not to mention that Amazon and brick-mortors sometimes got the phone BEFORE the online store were able to ship them!
It wasn't just the US. Nor was it something that couldn't have been fixed.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
The US closure is a boon for Nokia in my opinion. They were a constant problem. Remember the N900 pre-orders? They took pre-orders for months, had months of delays without any information, then canceled all pre-orders (without informing anyone) and had everyone pre-order AGAIN a week or two before shipping. And yes, the physical stores had then in stock before pre-orders were shipped.

Overall, I'm hoping they have a plan to open a new store for the US/UK with a new partner. But even if they don't, US customers are almost better off. Better to have no support than the crap "NokiaUSA" was calling support.

The Following User Says Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 459 | Thanked: 669 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ The DMV
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
I don't think it's a terrible decision--Nokia's on-line sales department in the US was problematic to say the least. Perhaps the problems and the ensuing equity lost due to the bad PR were not worth fixing.

Certainly direct sales are not an option anymore, but it is not like they are taking away the carrier-independent purchasing option from potential customers. I suspect that third-party on-line vendors (e.g. Amazon) have always been a strong (if not stronger) distribution channel for Nokia in any case.

The Following User Says Thank You to klinglerware For This Useful Post:
Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by cfh11 View Post
while i could care less about handsets (their prices were among the highest) what about accessories?
Originally Posted by jerryfreak View Post
Originally Posted by cfh11 View Post
i dont know, that expression has never made sense to me
It's a corruption of "I couldn't care less", which makes a lot more sense. You'll hear it in everyday speech in the UK.

As usual, something has been lost in translation as the phrase travelled west across the Atlantic

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shallimus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi

Also applies to Nokia stores closing. At least in Europe they were very expensive. Never bought from Nokia store and don't remember anyone I know buying either. 3rd party resellers are so much cheaper.

Last edited by Rauha; 2011-06-30 at 21:06.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post: