Notices

yeah, it's a bit weird I didn't go for flashing in the end. Got wind there was a firmware update due so thought I better wait and see. Then I can flash to the latest fw and have a squeeky clean install..... must remember to make a backup/restore point at that stage.

Just as a point of interest, why do some apps not remove all the files when you un-install? And would it be only apps from testing and devel that might be likely for that to happen, or possibly other repos?

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Which files are you referring to? I believe it's standard (debian) policy to not remove user configuration files when uninstalling a package. That would be anything in ~/.packagename, for example.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

can't remember all of them for freeciv, but I think I mentioned some of them earlier in this thread. Civclient and civ something else, there were 2 files to do with the icon and the apps list that remained after uninstall. There were 3 or 4 others I found too, but can't remember anything about those.

I think there was a similar situation with open arena but that llooked like just a couple. There might be others I haven't seen I just dont know. That's why I was asking the question-I have no idea what is usual or unusual in the linux world. I'm trying to learn the ways of the force

Originally Posted by ldrn View Post
If that is the case, you *should* be able to remove things with...
Code:
sudo gainroot
mv /var/lib/dpkg/info/freeciv* /tmp/
dpkg --remove --force-depends --force-remove-reinstreq freeciv freeciv-client-sdl freeciv-server freeciv-data
... but if the files are still there, you'd need to manually delete the files after.
Just for the record, I was getting the same issues trying to remove freeciv remnants from my system and this solved it! Thanks!

So, freeciv is in extras-testing now, but it can't install due to lacking freeciv-data and freeciv-server.

Did I catch it in the midst of promotion to testing?

Posts: 201 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted by mannakiosk View Post
Did I catch it in the midst of promotion to testing?
Let's go with that...

The Following User Says Thank You to ldrn For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ldrn View Post
Let's go with that...
Thanks for working on this.

Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
I have been able to install it from Testing but when I press on Start New Game it freezes and I have to close the application.

Have anyone experienced this?

Posts: 16 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Uithoorn, Netherlands
Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
I have been able to install it from Testing but when I press on Start New Game it freezes and I have to close the application.

Have anyone experienced this?
I get the exact same thing. I see someone else here had the same problem. I'm not sure what to do to debug it. Oh well, back to Wesnoth...

Posts: 16 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Uithoorn, Netherlands
Originally Posted by Shane Kerr View Post
I get the exact same thing. I see someone else here had the same problem. I'm not sure what to do to debug it. Oh well, back to Wesnoth...
I just went to uninstall and got the following:

Code:
/home/user # dpkg --purge freeciv-server freeciv-client-sdl freeciv-data
(Reading database ... 
dpkg: serious warning: files list file for package `freeciv-server' missing, assuming package has no files currently installed.

dpkg: serious warning: files list file for package `freeciv-client-sdl' missing, assuming package has no files currently installed.

dpkg: serious warning: files list file for package `freeciv-data' missing, assuming package has no files currently installed.
41333 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing freeciv-client-sdl ...
Removing freeciv-server ...
Removing freeciv-data ...
Maybe this can help the packager.

Tags
freeciv sdl, games, new port