Active Topics

Posts: 162 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California
Originally Posted by yiannis View Post
Thanks, I've asked what sort of buffering the 07 Prius MP3 player has in the prius audio forum.

What's a "large" buffer?

I am proud to say that a google search for 2007 prius mp3 buffer yields my thread as a first result
A buffer that buffers more than 10 seconds worth of music would be large (?)

Posts: 219 | Thanked: 94 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by lardman View Post
Anyway the problem I have streaming music from the N900 (mp3s in this case, but assuming you have good 3G coverage it shouldn't make any odds) at speeds ranging from rather slowly to super-duper fast, is that I can't usually find an FM frequency band that stays clear for long enough, which means it starts out ok, then gets static-y due to interference from commercial stations.
Hi, I think the original question was to use bluetooth connection to the stereos/headset or similar, so no FM transmit needed here. BTW, I wouldn't call analog radio waves a stream

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
my question would be why drive a prius at high speed. a 'normal' car is much better for the environment if you ever venture over 30mph.......

as it stands you are using a 1.5 to drag half a tonne of batteries around.
that was exactly my thoughts but thought it wasn't necessary to say that (sooner or later everybody will do the math when they start to think how much gasoline the car consumes ).
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
Technically this will work at high speeds, but the doppler effect makes the music sound like trash.

Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
that was exactly my thoughts but thought it wasn't necessary to say that (sooner or later everybody will do the math when they start to think how much gasoline the car consumes ).
The 1,5 at high speeds (75-78 mph) gets 46 mpg (5.11 lt/100 km) at 50 F emitting almost zero CO2. In the suburbs 55 mpg is more like it.

Thanks for playing though

Originally Posted by Swirnoff View Post
A buffer that buffers more than 10 seconds worth of music would be large (?)
Ok so what's the N900's buffer?

And what's the Droid's buffer?

Originally Posted by eiffel View Post
Technically this will work at high speeds, but the doppler effect makes the music sound like trash.
Why isn't that a problem for Rafio waves, are the much different than internet packet waves? Does the network's starting λ change this?

We're talking about 75 mph here?

Posts: 161 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ SLO, CA; United States
I can stream radio through my E63 (edge) moving along the backroads of San Luis Obispo (where coverage is spotty at best) and it works just fine. I don't think the cell towers are going to have much issue if t-mobile shows a strong signal along the way. I am looking forward for my 900 to do just the same thing around here.

The Following User Says Thank You to thorbo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by Swirnoff View Post
Well the digital stream only turns into music as it enters the phone's receiver. Until then it's only an internet packet. And internet packets can't go in reverse because that would cause the whole internet to collapse...
No, they'd just be erased...from existence.

Yiannis, a lot of people here are just joking around based on your qualification "high speed". The only issue you would have is the 3G cell network handoff/switching. That's why they say you need a big buffer, so that your stream keeps playing while the download is interrupted.

The Doppler comment was one such joke. The effect for audio wouldn't apply as you are traveling at the same speed as the source. The bit about the car behind you getting it is just a joke, as well. Even a Prius can't violate the relevant laws of physics.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 223 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ West Kirby, UK
It should work OK up to near light speed, just keep circling...

You'll need a good data plan though?!