Notices

Originally Posted by balta View Post

A direct translation would be "Punkte von Interesse (PvI)"

How about "Punkte vOn Interesse (POI)" ?

"Gods have mercy. Cats don't..." <- Kaotik@iotech

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to catbus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 105 | Thanked: 444 times | Joined on Jul 2013 @ Katowice, PL
Please, when/if implementing distance measurement, make it show azimuth also.

Possibility to add own map sources would be nice, too - there are so many useful OSM renders out there, and a few better aerial images than Mapbox. Given they use standard zoom/x/y url layout of course.

And could the route on night maps have a more contrasty (is it a word?) colour? Maybe it's just me, but I struggle to tell purple on blue fast enough during driving. What about yellow?

Last but not least, thank you and all involved in Poor/Whogo/Pure heritage and OSM Scout Server. The stack is my favourite map solution now, across all my devices and three systems.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to briest For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
+1 for the night colours.

Though I am not sure rinigus can do anything about that. It looks like the map renderer's choice.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by briest View Post
Please, when/if implementing distance measurement, make it show azimuth also.
its not even filed as an issue yet (you could do so, if you wish), so, working on it is in rather remote future

Possibility to add own map sources would be nice, too - there are so many useful OSM renders out there, and a few better aerial images than Mapbox. Given they use standard zoom/x/y url layout of course.
This is possible already. See instructions at https://github.com/rinigus/pure-maps/tree/master/maps

And could the route on night maps have a more contrasty (is it a word?) colour? Maybe it's just me, but I struggle to tell purple on blue fast enough during driving. What about yellow?
I could use some help with it. All OSM Scout Server map styles used with Mapbox GL tiles are at https://github.com/rinigus/mapbox-gl-styles. In particular, colors for night style are defined in https://github.com/rinigus/mapbox-gl...variables.less . There is a similar file for day version. Route on night map is defined separately, under Pure Maps control.

The help that I could use is

[1] look through color schema and adjust / improve / replace it

[2] look through which POIs should appear / disappear at which zoom.

If there are people interested in helping with map design, I will look into simplification of installation of corresponding app stack or some alternatives.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 191 | Thanked: 271 times | Joined on Mar 2015 @ Germany
Originally Posted by catbus View Post
How about "Punkte vOn Interesse (POI)" ?
Very good !!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to monkeyisland For This Useful Post:
Posts: 105 | Thanked: 444 times | Joined on Jul 2013 @ Katowice, PL
Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
This is possible already. See instructions at https://github.com/rinigus/pure-maps/tree/master/maps
Thanks! It works I have OpenTopoMap now and others will follow soon.

This is also solution to my last problem, with route visibility -- what I meant was the purple overlay showing suggested route, drawn by Pure Maps, not the map in background. So, creating a slightly modified version of osmscout_car_night.json with "route" changed to "yellow" did the trick. I have tested it this evening and the route is perfectly visible now.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to briest For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
Originally Posted by rinigus View Post

The help that I could use is

[1] look through color schema and adjust / improve / replace it

[2] look through which POIs should appear / disappear at which zoom.

If there are people interested in helping with map design, I will look into simplification of installation of corresponding app stack or some alternatives.
Even so I'm a little bit short of time, I could help with [1]. But just to change the colour theme, without seeing it in the real app is probably not the right way. Also I don't know if the colours i'll choose would fit universal needs. Wouldn't ist make sense to offer different themes. On the other hand that would mean more work for you - for not so important things.

[2] I think, for that I'm useless, because I tend extremely to see as much as possible on maps. Which makes it usually quite uncomfortable for people not used to that.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
Even so I'm a little bit short of time, I could help with [1]. But just to change the colour theme, without seeing it in the real app is probably not the right way. Also I don't know if the colours i'll choose would fit universal needs. Wouldn't ist make sense to offer different themes. On the other hand that would mean more work for you - for not so important things.

[2] I think, for that I'm useless, because I tend extremely to see as much as possible on maps. Which makes it usually quite uncomfortable for people not used to that.
I will look into how to make it simple to work on styles. In contrast to "normal" Mapbox GL styling via JSON and their point-and-click GUI, I wrote scripts that generate style JSONs from different files. This is maybe not as simple in the beginning, but removes lots of repetitive activities, in my take of it. And, as a bonus, allows to define multiple styles which have been tuned for one thing or another.

Can I assume Linux environment for development?

As for [2], we can keep all in check. At present, I think, its too sparse. And it does not use full potential of Mapbox GL - such as means allowing you to limit number of POIs shown at different zooms.

I have few other things I'd like to finish first, but will work on making it easier for others to contribute.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
yep Linux environment on my side. But just an average Linux user.
Not fearing Terminal but far away from beeing a geek or a developer.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
After finally upgrading my Nexus 5 to 2.1.3.7, I am able to enjoy OSM Scout Server and Pure Maps again. Mimic audio is working flawlessly and routing is much more sensible than some "traditional" products. Thanks a million for all your work, rinigus!

Just three quick questions, though.

1) Will there be an option to save points of interest? An editable format (like .csv) would be quite helpful. Also putting POIs into categories might come in handy.

2) Could you implement an alert feature to make Pure Maps speak up when you are passing e.g. a parking structure?

3) I use Talefish a lot. When an instruction comes up, Pure Maps dutifully stops the audio on Talefish which is great. Is there a possibility to make it start again afterwards? For now, I always have to press "Play" manually again.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dubliner For This Useful Post: