Posts: 289 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Tampere, Finland
@tissot

Harri's team is working on bringing the Linux Foundation MeeGo on N900 and there's a separate but somewhat related community (with assistance from Nokia) project to port Nokia's Harmattan.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jsa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 29 | Thanked: 360 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Pirkkala, Finland
About MeeGo 1.0 Core release for N900

It does NOT include

- Mobile UI/UX (N900 will boot to Xterm)
- Reference Applications

It is intended for MeeGo developers for development purposes, and

- has practically NO value for end users
- has little value for MeeGo application developers.

Please do NOT install it if you don't know what you need it for.

For mor in formation, pls. see
http://wiki.meego.com/ARM/N900

Br,
//Harri

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to harrihakulinen For This Useful Post:
What about the theory we could install xfce using meego xterm?

And another question - is meego installable on SD card?

Perfect/fully working UI for meego isn't needed on n900.. What's very important is for the UI to be implemented enough to use the core OS of meego for it's phone functionality. Maemo's UI is good enough already and suit the n900's design. Remember what most users aim for meego is the OS's additional functionality which focus more on the device's telephony module like T9 keyboard, 3g video calling, portrait mode GUI & many more(I mean very2x many). You would know if you would read all the replies of members waiting for the official meego release or ask them what they aim at the meego platform.

So a wild guess... Upon alpha release of the meego OS w/ initial UX on june. Probably most n900 users would prefer to dual boot it already just for the sake of the maemo 5's lack of features. That is if the alpha version would be enough to make the said features work at least slightly stable.

Last edited by Radicalz38; 2010-05-27 at 14:08.

Posts: 296 | Thanked: 126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ New York City
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
I know right?... I totally can't believe they plan to completely build, design, and totally create a complete, stable, operating system in less than 6 months!

That's awesome!
As nice as this thought is, I can't see anything but a bunch of "it's a 1.0 OS" excuses. Maybe Nokia just learned that if you keep starting over you should start the version number over so those excuses work (even though in this case they still won't be good excuses). I cringe every time I hear them used for Maemo.

I wish Nokia (and their loyalists) would just man up and admit the stuff that isn't up to par (but should be at this point). I hope things change with MeeGo as I like a lot of what Maemo had to offer but I won't hold my breath.

Posts: 208 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Belgium
everybody says that it's only coding. Why does every site where the meego 1.0 story is mensioned they use this picture. So what is this? this isnt real or not available?

Originally Posted by nielsvg View Post
everybody says that it's only coding. Why does every site where the meego 1.0 story is mensioned they use this picture. So what is this? this isnt real or not available?
That's for netbooks

Irresponsible journalism, I guess.

Originally Posted by nielsvg View Post
That's for this one...
http://download3.meego.com/meego-net...20100524.1.img
Unfortunately that isn't for the mobile but for the netbook. To make it short the image file for the n900 is still just command line while the netbook version has the User Interface already which the picture represents.

Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by lucas777 View Post
So can someone that knows whats going on break this down im dumb terms for peple that dont know much about what is going on. Specifically in point form.
Like... everything?

The Following User Says Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sadfist View Post
As nice as this thought is, I can't see anything but a bunch of "it's a 1.0 OS" excuses. Maybe Nokia just learned that if you keep starting over you should start the version number over so those excuses work (even though in this case they still won't be good excuses). I cringe every time I hear them used for Maemo.
Look, I was all about this argument from Maemo4 -> Maemo5. I think that "restart" was silly, so while I was understanding of certain things lacking or software from M4 not working in M5 because the OS was a complete re-write.. I think a step 4/5 or whatever it was shouldn't have been a "complete rewrite" to begin with.

However, Nokia is not doing this again. They were already too far along in development of Maemo 6 to stop and start over. I think that's what people are ignoring here and getting confused.

MeeGo is a totally new, from the ground, base OS that is stealing parts from Moblin and Maemo. However, the next device from nokia will not be a MeeGo device; it will be a Harmattan (Maemo 6) device. It will just have (theoretically) complete MeeGo software compatibility built-in to the structure.

Nokia is not "starting" over and just calling something "1.0"... MeeGo really is a fresh start of a totally different project. The Harmattan device is not called "Maemo 1.0".. course.. what it actually is called right now *shrug*.. qgil mentioned calling it "MeeGo-Harmattan" since it's a bit of a hybrid for both.

MeeGo-Harmattan will still be Deb-based, for example: which is a dramatic difference from MeeGo's RPM-base core. I'd venture that "MeeGo-Harmattan" will actually be more Maemo, than MeeGo. But, of course, we really have no idea what it is right now as it's not in the open.

What most of you should be concerned about is not whether MeeGo will be on the N900.. but whether the next official OS from Nokia will be - and that's MeeGo-Harmattan (pending more formal naming)... and there is an entire thread about the possibilities or not of a full Community Edition of that for the N900.

MeeGo is an entirely separate beast, and should be treated as such. Unless, of course, we start getting bugfixes marked as "Fixed in MeeGo".
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post: