Notices


Reply
Thread Tools
Posts: 119 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Brazil
#121
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Rants about Maemo 5 updates, Nokia or even myself: please bring them somewhere else. We are trying to work on a specific goal in this thread and the extra noise doesn't really help. Besides, when it comes to business/proprietary stuff I'm just a messenger and I try to be a useful one. Don't kill me.
Extra noise and FUD was generated by Nokia when they got official about abandoning Maemo 5 and help N900 owners to get "community support" (how considering... like a charity donation, thanks!!).

I don't earn money with Maemo or Meego, in fact as a customer I only spent a lot of money buying my N900, so I don't care for your so called effort as a messenger to get a community version, that's just collateral damage control to avoid hurting N900 sales and keep developers on the Meego path. Your messages objective is clearly to avoid FUD and keep the community aligned with Nokia business plans.

Don't take this personal. Although I am probably not being so polite due to emotional reactions to recent news, when anyone refers to you is not the person Quim, but Nokia company since you represent it. Messengers were always used to the purpose of their bosses... you are lucky not to be a messenger during war in medieval times, when they cut their heads off... (at least as dramatized by movies...)
 
daperl's Avatar
Posts: 2,427 | Thanked: 2,985 times | Joined on Dec 2007
#122
@reggie

I'm not sure if it's technically possible, but can you please ban russo_br from this thread. The noise is killing me.

Oh, and russo_br, f*ck off already.
__________________
N9: Go white or go home
 
Stskeeps's Avatar
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,477 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
#123
Oh and the other thing that everyone seem to be forgetting..

Harmattan UI framework development is opened.. and where did it run.. what was it.. N900? Widgets gallery.

So, can we at least agree it seems likely a port of Harmattan to N900 is entirely possible?
__________________
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.
 

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
mikec's Avatar
Posts: 1,366 | Thanked: 1,185 times | Joined on Jan 2006
#124
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Oh and the other thing that everyone seem to be forgetting..

Harmattan UI framework development is opened.. and where did it run.. what was it.. N900? Widgets gallery.

So, can we at least agree it seems likely a port of Harmattan to N900 is entirely possible?
Any reason why we cant have the net book UX on N900
It looks quite finger friendly to me.
__________________
N900_Email_Options Wiki Page
 
Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
#125
Originally Posted by smoku View Post
Harmattan = Maemo 6 + Meego compatibility layer

MeeGo Core + Nokia hardware adjustments + UI from Nokia = What-this-thread-is-about
Aha!

That means I am on the right thread. Good.

Can I assume the UI from Nokia will be truly open source(e.g. Release of source code and developed publicly)?

EDIT: Just read the thread on Harmattan becoming publicly open source project. Will it be the same for MeeGo(Nokia UI)?
__________________
I like cake.

Last edited by johnel; 2010-05-28 at 07:52.
 
Posts: 289 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Tampere, Finland
#126
Guys, it's not that difficult. This thread is about Harmattan (Maemo 6 core + Nokia hardware adjustments + UI & applications from Nokia), period.

The Harmattan UI Framework is open sourced and it's already been renamed MeeGo Touch UI Framework. I assume the Linux Foundation reference Handset UI will utilize this same framework as Harmattan. Linux Foundation's reference UI + applications should be open source. Nokia can replace some of these with closed source equivalents in their own products if they so choose.
 
Posts: 29 | Thanked: 360 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Pirkkala, Finland
#127
Originally Posted by smoku View Post
Harmattan = Maemo 6 + Meego compatibility layer

MeeGo Core + Nokia hardware adjustments + UI from Nokia = What-this-thread-is-about
Sorry but NO.

Perhaps I have caused the confusion, so I try to clear it a bit:

This thread is about "MeeGo-Harmattan" on N900 (I confirmed that from Quim).

So it does NOT have much to do with 'MeeGo hardware adaptation for N900'. There may be some or even lots of sofware like kernel drivers that are used on both, but essentially they are doing different things.

I try also with those equations :

MeeGo-Harmattan = Maemo 6 + 'Meego compatibility layer'

MeeGo = MeeGo Core + MeeGo UX

In reality, the actual difference is much smaller that it looks. Because before we started MeeGo, Maemo 6 and Moblin 2 were almost the same already, and we have not gone far from that baseline. But properly explaining that would require real comparison document rather than a post here.

Br,
//Harri
 

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to harrihakulinen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
#128
Oh no I've gone cross-eyed:




Basically Harmattan was an independant development from Nokia.

MeeGo was an independant development knows as Moblin.

Nokia said "f*** me - Moblin and Harmattan are very similar let's get naked and merge"

Harmattan project is continuing but going to include software that makes it compatible with MeeGo.

MeeGo development continues as usual using n900 as reference platform (using a MeeGo UI - modded by Nokia).

???????
__________________
I like cake.
 
Posts: 1,224 | Thanked: 1,763 times | Joined on Jul 2007
#129
Originally Posted by flailingmonkey View Post
I find it hilarious that people don't even realize what this means. How about I yell it?

HARMATTAN ON N900!!
HARMATTAN ON N900!!
HARMATTAN ON N900!!

Anyway, let me just say "voi ei!" can't some marketing staff help you convince the business guys that, yes you really do need to be allowed to say more, for the sake of happy community? =P Good luck with that!

And to all you whiners and doomsayers, eat crowwww.

When you say "HARMATTAN ON N900!!"

Do you mean that it will include the phone program that will be on HARMATTAN device? It will surely not be as pathetic as the maemo5 one.

Do you mean that it will include the hardware accelerated Flash 10.1 that HARMATTAN device will probably include?

Will it include the improved OVI maps that HARMATTAN device will probably include?

Will it include skype?

Because without all those, it will be "HARMATTAN ON N900!!" in the same way that mer is "FREMANTLE ON N810!!!".

Those are four simple Yes/No questions. If they were answered in this thread or in any other offician statement from Nokia, I did not see the answers.
__________________
My repository

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.
 
Posts: 1,667 | Thanked: 561 times | Joined on Feb 2010
#130
Seriously.. wipe your mind of everything you know. We need to start fresh.

There is two operating systems. Harmattan, think of it as a Maemo 6, and MeeGo - think of it as.. MeeGo.

Harmattan will be on the next device. This device will be compatible with MeeGo, but it is not MeeGo.

The N900 is the development platform for MeeGo. There will be (and is) MeeGo ports for the N900.

Harmattan has, at this point, nothing to do at all in any fashion way shape form or transparent mist with the N900. There is, however, a thread started by qgil about working on a Community Hacker Edition of Harmattan to run on the N900.
-fatalsaint
 

The Following User Says Thank You to nosa101 For This Useful Post:
Reply

Tags
harmattan, meego

Thread Tools

 
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 16:01.