Active Topics

Posts: 310 | Thanked: 202 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Ireland
Originally Posted by andy_con View Post
nobs!

for your info i have had my n900 from new, ive also got the dual battery mod. thats how much i like it and am into it. you will see ive made a number of posts on this forum asking for help with my n900.

do you need anymore proof?

as much as i love my n900 its time to move on and get an upgrade, not everyone is stuck in the past.

dont bother with helping ill try another forum with friendly members.

the lumia 800 came out today in the uk
I did try to help and I'm interested in your new device. But I am a nob, I'll give you that.

i too, am a long time n900 ower, in the face of iphone adversity, and android... something, not sure what yet, have made the Lumia 800 jump. picked mine up lunchtime today.
OVI/Nokia suite or whatever its called these days, has sync'd my contacts, i've even backed up my old faithfull n900, but i can't for the life of me yet, figure out how to get them onto the Lumia. the bluetooth xfer fails, and zune seems .. oblivious?

i can sync everything but my contacts. argh!

loving the lumia for everything else (so far) though.

Posts: 364 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Australia
Originally Posted by darksun9210 View Post
i too, am a long time n900 ower, in the face of iphone adversity, and android... something, not sure what yet, have made the Lumia 800 jump. picked mine up lunchtime today.
OVI/Nokia suite or whatever its called these days, has sync'd my contacts, i've even backed up my old faithfull n900, but i can't for the life of me yet, figure out how to get them onto the Lumia. the bluetooth xfer fails, and zune seems .. oblivious?

i can sync everything but my contacts. argh!

loving the lumia for everything else (so far) though.
If OVI sync does not help then you should call Nokia support to fix it.

Posts: 412 | Thanked: 480 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Bronx, NY
Is this for real? The new win os cant handle vcard files? lol

seriously though you cant just export your contacts copy them to a desk/lap and then transfer them to the lumia. If it cant handle a vcard get a converter to change them to csv or something that is compatible.

I would export the contacts on the lumia and see what type of file it exports then convert the vcard to that

Edit even simpler email them to yourself and try to open them thru the email client(outlook?) it should be able to open and import a vcard

Last edited by Mike Fila; 2011-11-17 at 21:08.

Posts: 387 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Dublin
i've had some bad luck any my n900 lcd has stopped working(i fell down some steps and it broke my fall), i can use the TV out and touch screen etc. i have a htc radar free from my operator so i thought i'd use that untill i can fix the n900 but i can't sync all 400+ contacts over properly, i've no outlook, and if vcard them all and import to gmail then pull them from gmail it only gets the 1st number and ignores the work mobile number etc.
i'm wondering if you had a way that works and isn't time consuming to get 400+ contacts from n900 to wp7?

Export them to vCard then use http://vcf2csv.sourceforge.net/
to convert to CSV then import them to Hotmail/Live contacts as here.

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ SE London
So, here is a little step by step of how I did it...
  • Install nokia suite (LINK)
  • Connect N900
  • Auto install drivers
  • Choose "Sync Windows Contacts" in the options
  • Sync contacts
  • Install Windows Live Mail from Windows Live Essentials (LINK)
  • Import Windows contacts into WLM
  • Export contacts as .csv
  • Import into Gmail account
  • Have a good clean up while in Gmail /Edit/Delete/Merge...
  • Add that google account to the phone
  • Profit

Hope this helps to make some peoples day one experience a little less frustrating.

Also, F&^% YOU Nokia/M$/Vodafail for the various shortcomings regarding the Lumia 800, that I can't be arsed to go into right now.

Edit:

Bluetooth is not a single specification, but a long list of possible "profiles" for various purposes.

For the Lumia 800, the listed Bluetooth profiles on http://www.developer.nokia.com/Devic...ons/Lumia_800/ are: A2DP, AVCTP, AVDTP, AVRCP, GAVDP, HFP, HSP, PBAP, RFCOMM, SPP.

For, e.g., the Nokia N900 (Maemo 5) the profiles listed on http://www.developer.nokia.com/Devic...ications/N900/ are: A2DP, AVRCP 1.0, FTP, HFP, HSP, OPP

E.g., the missing DUN (Dial-Up Networking Profile) means that you can't use the Lumia 800 as a Bluetooth "modem" to a PC. The missing FTP (File Transfer Profile), OPP (Object Push Profile) and GOEP (Generic Object Exchange Profile) means that you can't send files or contacts, calendar events to/from the Lumia 800 over Bluetooth.

Here's a list of the various Bluetooth profiles and what they're for:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth_profile
Edited from http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/...ght/true#M1794

Currently there are 5000 votes from users who want this features in next firmware update on microsoft's official wp7 features wishlist/suggestions site.....you guys should vote too if you want it
http://windowsphone.uservoice.com/fo...sfer?ref=title

Last edited by DARKFiB3R; 2011-12-07 at 12:18.

I transferred all my contacts and calendar from an N900 to my Lumia. There are a number of simple steps involved:

Contacts:

1) Use Nokia PC Suit or Ovi to copy all contacts from phone to your Computer (VCF format)
2) I used Windows 7, so typed Contacts into "Search Programs and files", then open the Contacts folder on your computer (I don’t know if there is a similar function for Vista, XP or any other OS)
3) In the Contacts folder, use the "Import" function (option in the window toolbar) to import all VSF contacts that you've just saved on your computer
4) Once they're all imported, use the Export function to export as a CSV file (it looks like an Excel spreadsheet)
5) In Windows Live Hotmail, use the Import Contacts function, select Import from Outlook, it gives you the option to import a CSV file from your computer - iport the CSV file you've just created
6) Synchronise your Lumia with you Windows Live account, all contacts will be transferred over. As the formats used are slightly different, some of the details may show in Hotmail on Windows Live, but not transfer to your phone unless you edit the details appropriately. From experience, it is much easier to edit contacts in Gmail, so you may want to import the CSV file to Gmail, edit the details there (mobile phone numbers don't always transfer to the Lumia unless they're showing in Hotmail/GMail as a Mobile (Cell) phone). I find it quicker to edir in GMail then import from Gmail to Windows Live Hotmail, then sync with your phone (or alternatively, just add your GMail account to your Lumia)

It is that simple…

Calendar

1) Use Nokia PC Suit or Ovi to copy all calendar entries from phone to your Computer (text format)
2) In Windows Live Hotmail, use the "Subscribe" function when you're in your Calendar, use the "Import from ICS file" function (into an existing file) - select the text file you saved from step (1) above - all calendar entries will be copied into your Windows Live Hotmail Calendar, synchronise your phone, all calendar entries will now be on your phone.

It's easy when you know how....

Andy

The Following User Says Thank You to arg00001 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 19 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ SE London
You just repeated exactly what I said in my previous post lol.

Thanks for the tips about the calendar though

Posts: 3 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Nicosia, Cyprus
I've got the same exact problem like 'smegheadz'. I'm about to buy Lumia when suddenly my faithful N900 passed away.. No way to bring it back to life..
Fortunately I've got a full backup and a recent contacts/messages synchronization through Nokia Suite.
My problem is that I haven't synchronized my contacts to Outlook too, only on Nokia Suite. So, I cannot proceed to sync with Outlook anymore, since my N900 is dead.
Is that a way to get my contacts out of Nokia Suite and transfer them to Lumia?