Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
@jaanusa,

It's not always software that drains the battery. I've noticed a couple of times that the battery starts draining (much) faster than usual although nothing heavy is running.

Normally (although it rarely happens) I just turn it off and on again, because I have no time to investigate.

The other day I had that again and, suspecting a WLAN fvck up, did (as root) rmmod wl12xx. The temperature went down and the battery consumption "flattened" again.

From my (little) experience this may happen when you get out of each of a WLAN AP, but that's just a guess..

I suffered this problem very seldom, about 10 times since I got my N900 in Feb 1, 2010.
I used always the standard kernel with all official fixes.
The last time it happened I used the KP50 kernel.

I say from careful observation:

1. it is not a software (app) problem, though it may be triggered by some kind of usecase with 3G data and GPS at the same time.
"top" shows no process going wild, when the fast energy loss is in progress. This is not a Maemo/app process problem!

2. on the N900 there are much more (embedded) processor cores than just the main ARM CPU. My guess is, some of those cores which serve the 3G/UMTS radio (phone) or GPS or audio codecs or whatever crash, or run endless loops, which will not show up in the Maemo-Linux process tools.
Or even some hardware has an internal, temporary shortage. Yes this is possible, but it all this is impossible to track down on a living N900, and one would need very expensive test equipment to analyze it. No luck.

3. If you note that battery indicators (I use Battery Eye) drop fast, reboot the phone immediately, after reboot the problem will be gone - until the next time...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rm53 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by rm53 View Post
I suffered this problem very seldom, about 10 times since I got my N900 in Feb 1, 2010.
I had something like this not long ago.
It wasn't a process but powertop showed loads of wakeups.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=85701

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

Seems that battery drain period is over, battery lasts with one charging again couple of days (phone calls mostly).
During "draining period" I even switched phone during night to offline mode but nevertheless battery was almost completely drained in eight hours. Although I noticed that phone charged better by using USB cable connected to computer rather than by using Nokia's original charger.

Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Originally Posted by jaanusa View Post
I have the similar problem - battery discharges very quickly. I'm using standard kernel, latest CSSU stable (and Battery Patch), battery is Nokia's original, nor WiFi or Bluetooth are not turned on. It seems that some program is running on background with increasing speed (see BatteryGraph image).
In X terminal top command doesn't show nothing unusal.

Yesterday evening I charged battery full and in the morning it was almost empty although I switched phone to flight mode.
When rebooted with ~25% of battery resulting with empty battery level indicator after phone is restarted. Only good thing was that rebooting was killed that mystery program eating up CPU recources (and battery).

Can anybody help?
AFAIK, battery patch may cause strange problems http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=81358, posts starting from #5

Projects no longer actively developed: here

Tags
battery drain, bugss, nokia-n900, ranting