Posts: 1,539 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ With my N9
Wikiwide, pm I may be of some help to you

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

Times Banned from TMO: 4

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
So, since I have only N9 Service Manual, and not an N950 Service Manual, are these screws TorxPlus4 or TorxPlus5? Can I reuse them, or should I replace them with new screws just to be on the safe side?
Is it better to use Torx or TorxPlus screwdriver? Torx screwdriver would have loose fit with TorxPlus screw, but it's not like large torque is needed.
The most detailed photograph of the slot from outside I could take was already provided (yes, it's the original resolution, just cropped from a larger photograph): .
Will post the photographs of the inside when I get the proper screwdriver(s).
For now, it's expected that any soldering will be done only on useless SIM cards (there are two or three of them), not on the SIM port itself - just to confirm that the solder alloy conducts current and fixes the problem.

Last edited by Wikiwide; 2013-06-18 at 11:07.

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
This road was not short, of that I forewarn,
It passed by Misery Port, into lands forlorn,
Where maps are uncharted and travellers guided by stars,
Where hints are given by residents passing by in their cars,
Where sellers are not noted despite the bitter of price wars...
The Bunnies were kind, but their given product was of size
Unsuitable, and shown to be slightly too large for the device.
The loss of time refunded was by their freely offered advice
To visit Smith, located nearby, on the other side of the road.
Find him we could not; despite of the maps an extensive load,
We had seen neither head nor tail of him. But it was not a hoax,
Merely abundance of the roads and lack of posters outdoors.
When we arrived by bus to the place of many stairs and floors,
The Smith was found here; indeed, he held a reply to our need,
Collection of this and that, sizes four, five and six, in their midst.
Most of this collection would hardly be ever needed, but the case
We took, and - wonder - this time the driver and screw matched,
But the spares could not be found, either, in this small helpful place.
So, the four screws will be removed soon, and photograph then posted, but what should be attempted then, to repair somehow the SIM card slot? The least risky suggestions are welcome. Graphite or anything else crumbling into dust cannot be used, for obvious reasons.
Best wishes.

Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Yes post photographs from inside and please dont use solder alloy on sim card to make a hump. Yes it can conduct electricty but very quickly something happens to outer surface i.e a layer forms which hinders electricty flow . Believe meand as i said before if you make wrong contacts situation will be worseso just open board figure out and probably use a thin strip of x metel as like u see the other pins

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
U can use a thin copper plate fold it then solder it to the board.
This is where this stuff could come in very handy:
Wire Glue

I used to use it regularly for repairing battery contacts in quartz watches. It works well if you don't put too much strain on it, i.e SIM swapping excessively.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stickymick For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by stickymick View Post
Wire Glue

I used to use it regularly for repairing battery contacts in quartz watches. It works well if you don't put too much strain on it, i.e SIM swapping excessively.
I have it, if this small jar isn't empty already. I used it quite excessively when attempting to repair the contacts within a keyboard after spilling water on it. This keyboard doesn't work at all; just a source of spare parts for other keyboards.
Are you sure that this glue will hold? I am going to try it, since you used to use it regularly for repairing contacts. I am just afraid of short-circuiting something with electricity-conducting dust.
Thank you! Best wishes.

The Following User Says Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by stickymick View Post
Wire Glue

hey can you elaborate more on the glue please about strenth hardening time and corrosive properties and also reliablity
i have never used it but seen some using it . This could be great for my wonky donkey works where my hands shatter with soldering iron
thanx for the post !

Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
I have it, if this small jar isn't empty already. I used it quite excessively when attempting to repair the contacts within a keyboard after spilling water on it. This keyboard doesn't work at all; just a source of spare parts for other keyboards.
Are you sure that this glue will hold? I am going to try it, since you used to use it regularly for repairing contacts. I am just afraid of short-circuiting something with electricity-conducting dust.
Thank you! Best wishes.
i am glad that you got wary about short circuiting though it can be solved but its really a nuiance or too much work

Photograph.
Three inside pins are fine. Two outside pins are flat and possibly shorter than they should be. One outside pin is broken off, as known earlier. Black non-conductive material separates pins from each other.
Attached Images

Last edited by Wikiwide; 2013-06-22 at 04:23.

The Following User Says Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
How the hell did it happen anyway?!

Just bring it to your local repair shop. i'm sure they wont ask you much just to fix that

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:

Tags
fixed sim port, hw problem, nokia n950