Closed Thread
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I think a "tablets for dummies" site is looong overdue. Nice work!

Posts: 133 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ SF, CA
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Very nice. Thank you for doing this, and for writing instructions that are simple, step-by-step and aimed at beginners.

You asked for suggestions - I would suggest a tutorial for intermediate users about how to install apps, how repositories work, etc. Many users are accustomed to just opening an .exe file on a Windows PC.
I just added this (how to install apps, how repositories work, etc.) in the wiki of www.internettablettalk.com. I agree it was badly needed somewhere. Its for 770 but could me for both. check it out.

I wasn't expecting so many enthusiastic replies! Thank you for the support, this makes it much easier to put the work in on the site.

By the way, I've just added a new tutorial which is all about using a Bluetooth keyboard with the N800:

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/200...and-using.html

On the subject of collaborations, I wanted to stick to the video/text format and keep the same look-and-feel throughout for the sake of clarity, so that once people understand one tutorial from my site, they can easily understand another.

However, if other people want to write tutorials or do videos (or both) I'm totally open to linking to those from the Tablet School site, as long as the tutorials are easy enough for a beginner to understand. This is what I did on the post about "Even a three year old can do it", which linked to a video showing a small child using the N800's sketch application.

It's surprisingly hard to make a tutorial for absolute beginners though. For example when using the internet radio feature my relative didn't know that the triangle pointing to the right means "play" and the square means "stop". We might laugh at that kind of ignorance, but really there's no obvious reason why a square should mean "stop" outside the context of a CD player or cassette deck, and ordinary radios don't have stop or play buttons. I'm not saying absolutely everything needs to be explained in intricate detail, but if it can quickly and easily be explained it ought to be (for example by saying "click on play (the triangle)" instead of just "click on play"). This is why I wanted to do videos to accompany the text, because videos can't be misinterpreted as easily as text instructions can.

One thing I would need some direct help on is the 770. I intend to get one if the site proves popular, but for the moment I just have the N800. If someone out there with a 770 wants to help with the site, I'd appreciate it if they could check which of the tutorials work on the 770 and which don't. If a tutorial works with the 770, I can label it for the 770 and N800.

The Following User Says Thank You to krisse For This Useful Post:
I would like if it's possible,somebody to enable 770 to connect to wifi over PPPoE connection so i don't have to spend $50 or more on wifi router

Posts: 29 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on May 2007 @ cleveland
how about a step-by-step video enableing bluetooth pan on the n800?

Originally Posted by screener View Post
that is wonderful so now we can all learn our way around doing stuff that needs some one to help you with like boot from MMC, phonelink and more . . .

Thanks Man
Yea, like phonelink. You almost have to be a developer to get that going. I still working on installing it and getting it working. All the instructions I seen are sketchy.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
interesting to read this.

the original post makes me think of my theory that most people dont want a pc. they want a typewriter, calculator, mail and web device.

thats why its sad the foleo got cancelled. well there is s ill the eeepc. but interesting that a n800 and keyboard worked out. makes me wonder about those samsungs with foldable keyboards and what people would make of those with a hildon or similar ui.

hmm, maybe we will find out ones the mid's start shipping from multiple makers.akers.

Great to see someone helping newbies.

I sat through your first tutorial. Overall, nicely paced.

However, the music was more annoying than soothing...not good for a newbie that is already a bit on edge using a new technology device. I'd much rather hear a voice walking me through.

Keep up the good work.

I've made a couple of tutorials with very easy instructions (and pictures for every step) on my blog at http://dragon-gaming.com/blog/

Originally Posted by Nunim View Post
I've made a couple of tutorials with very easy instructions (and pictures for every step) on my blog at http://dragon-gaming.com/blog/
Nice. I checked out the YouTube/UKTUBE instructions...nicely written. Question: You mention a problem with Maemo repositories and a solution..."It seems that there is a fix out now, simply change the distribution from Mistral to Gregale for repository.maemo.org" How does one choose Gregale instead of Mistral? Perhaps another instruction page is in order. ;-)

Closed Thread