Active Topics

Notices

Closed Thread
Posts: 1,412 | Thanked: 594 times | Joined on Aug 2005 @ Recife, Brazil
Hi, well here in finland is now almost 15:00 and in Brazil 10:00am =)
5 hours less than finnish time. I think 4 to barcelona, 3 to lisbon.

BR =)

Marcelo

@ LinuxRebel
Looking at the screenshots and video's to me the question is. How much of Hildon will this be able to render "moot". With Canola providing the gui it really does change things IMHO. But maybe I'm wrong about that too.
Hi Linux, Sorry I didn't understand you question. what do you mean by "render moot" ? =)

Marcelo

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Madrid, Spain
Originally Posted by linuxrebel View Post
Looking at the screenshots and video's to me the question is. How much of Hildon will this be able to render "moot". With Canola providing the GUI it really does change things IMHO.
This is a key point to me, Canola2 in addition to looking a "sexy media player" provides an alternative GUI framework from which we will be able to launch many home grown applications.

Hopefully because some elements of Canola2 are closed source, where others are open, Canola2 could just become the "conduit" framework enabling NIT Open-source development individuals to "just not really care anymore" about what Nokia decide to keep open and closed on the NIT's.

I believe Canola2 will be a real asset to keeping the closed and open source teams happy.

---edit--- Marcelo, Render moot = not required for general day to day use of NIT [My understanding, yours & others may vary ]

Last edited by MikeL; 2007-12-12 at 13:05.

Posts: 231 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Singapore
Almost out almost out!!

Man, we're at 3 pages and it's not even out yet! This is going to be a long night

Can't wait to get this, as it was the main reason I bought my 810 in the 1st place. However we might have to wait a bit longer, the beta site has been saying "1 day left" for 48 hours now...

It's currently lunch time in Sao Paulo, and still got "1 day left" on there, I don't think it's going to be for today.

Hei e-motion : It's already updated the site (since 00:00am) Brazil to show "10pm brazilian time". So, it's 5 (actually) hours difference from finland for example (that is now 16:22 here while in brazil is 11:22)

Last edited by handful; 2007-12-12 at 14:37.

Posts: 231 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Singapore
According to the clock app on my tablet, it'll be 9 hours more to go!

First, Canola2 release time appears to be GMT-3. Here is a link to the time:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=209

I've never used Canola before and am new to the N800.

One thing I would like to do is listen to my collection of ripped MP3 that are located on my music server. Its a large collection, but I want to listen to it locally in my house. Browsing the collection via CIFS takes a long long time and UPnP also seems to take a long time. (My server is running Mythtv). Does Canola2 'cache' the song list so it doesnt need to query things so slowy? What other options are there for this? So far I've been disappointed with my N800 since I cant really find anything that just works or that isnt a huge learning curve or hangs/takes too long. I've got a short time before I either make it work or return it.

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Madrid, Spain
krbvroc1, did you try Twonkyvision as your UPnP Media Server. (30 day trial)

I found that Twonky (Win, MAC, Linux) and TVersity (Win only, currently free) enabled the Media Streamer application in OS2006/2007 to interact and operate quickly seamlessly with a large Media collection. I liked the way Media Streamer allowed a playlist to be selected from the UPnP server, manipulated and "additionally added too" on the fly on the NIT.

I especially liked the Album Art support in Media Streamer and Canola1 with the Twonky UPnP Media Server.

I will be testing the new UPnP capabilities of Canola2 in my environment to see how well it performs with UPnP in comparison to Canola1 I am hopeful that some of the ideas proposed from previous activities have already or are making there way into Canola2 as feature improvements.

Last edited by MikeL; 2007-12-12 at 16:58.

Closed Thread