Posts: 30 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Flint MI
I finally got my N770 to boot from the MMC. But I had to delete a number of things to make room. (Thus the reason to boot from MMC to start with.) But as I go to reinstall many of the packages I installed just a couple of months ago, I find that they are closing down repositories all over the place. They have the new giant repository called Extras. There is even a link to activate it on your tablet. Except that it all appears to be for tablets newer than my lowly N770. So how does an N770 user install say DiskUsage? Or are we just out of luck?

Matt "Ducky" Howe

Interesting, I had sort of forgotten about the 770 (sorry!)

I'm not sure, off the top of my head, what the support lifetime of the product is (and therefore whether repos would continue to be hosted on maemo.org, but then again it's a community site so we could always add it back in if it's missing).

There may be other issues with the infrastructure of the Extras repo and submission process which don't work with the 770 toolchain, etc. It would be worth posting this question to maemo-developers so the right people see it.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
http://www.gronmayer.com/it

If I'm understanding the question correctly - which would be rare - then you are saying that all of the repositories are drying up? I still see about 50 that are still up, I use about 8 on my 770. I'm holding out that Android will invade my 770 and take over instead of OS2006 being my last stable OS on the thing.

It's a bit alarming, actually. It's fine that repositories are closed down as things are moved into Extras, but this should also be true for the 770. Software should not disappear.

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Poland / Bialystok
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
http://www.gronmayer.com/it

If I'm understanding the question correctly - which would be rare - then you are saying that all of the repositories are drying up? I still see about 50 that are still up, I use about 8 on my 770. I'm holding out that Android will invade my 770 and take over instead of OS2006 being my last stable OS on the thing.
Yes, up but not operable (vide eko.one.pl)
I've had the same thing with n770.

No becomeroot package for bora avaliable - eko.one.pl closed because of maemo.org repo admin request.

To sum up - madness and chaos instead.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by XTC View Post
No becomeroot package for bora avaliable - eko.one.pl closed because of maemo.org repo admin request.
Please see the incredibly lame maemo-users thread for more background.

He was asked (by X-Fade) to move his packages into Extras then close the repo (as were many other 3rd party repo owners). He decided that most of those packages were no longer useful, didn't bother to upload them, and closed the repo.

If you want those packages, you should either talk directly to the owner, or get qwerty12 to upload rootsh to Bora Extras.

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Poland / Bialystok
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Please see the incredibly lame maemo-users thread for more background.

He was asked (by X-Fade) to move his packages into Extras then close the repo (as were many other 3rd party repo owners). He decided that most of those packages were no longer useful, didn't bother to upload them, and closed the repo.

If you want those packages, you should either talk directly to the owner, or get qwerty12 to upload rootsh to Bora Extras.
I can understand that but what's the point in getting some order by cost of applications.
For me it would be better to have messy but more useful list of repos.
In this matter restrictions without some benefit to the one who should obey lead to nothing.
It's like 'we are the masters and we will lead all this' - but master's work should follow ithen instead.
Now - there is no alternative. That's not the way imho.

The Following User Says Thank You to XTC For This Useful Post:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to c_legaspi For This Useful Post:
I can understand that but what's the point in getting some order by cost of applications.
For me it would be better to have messy but more useful list of repos.
Absolutely, but hopefully we can have both order (i.e. just Extras) and the original range of applications (i.e. uploaded for the 770 too). I don't see any real problems here, 770 users should just encourage developers to upload their favourite apps to the Bora (?) Extras repo.

Tomorrow i remenber to sell my n770 "i dont think so " and a new linux user fall in love with n770 but dont understand nothing :s , this is killing the born of n800 and n810 , please show more respect for the first nokia internet table , im a webmaster and i know isnt that dificult to make a directory.....
After all i buy this , because linux plantaform ..... and this isnt linux spirit ....
this isnt gentoo were if you whant to learn you have to read , this is user friendly (i think) im just putting in the shoes of a newbie , i resolve my problem , but others are going to have some pain ....
Please dont forget your roots
AND LONG LIVE N770 , i still use for develop , hobby , and overboards to have a shell to manage my servers

Tags
770, extras, repositories