http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/20/n...restown-power/

I would actually prefer a 1.5Ghz dual-core ARM-based CPU like the TI OMAP4440 or Marvell Armada. The Atom is slower and would be a power guzzler compared to an ARM-based CPU, the only upside would be the ability to run closed-source apps compiled for x86, including running Windows apps on Wine.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GameboyRMH For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
Given the fact that in MeeGo repos there are only ARM compiled builds I find it hard to believe that Atom will power a Nokia phone , maybe it will be next year or when Intel produces a tablet platform but for handsets its very unlikely , Atom is not a handset CPU and Intel knows that and my guess is Nokia knows too. If Nokia does something stupid like this it will be the same as with Windows 7 tablets

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to HellFlyer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 559 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cyprus
dont know what to say.........its a gamble......

Posts: 173 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London, UK
Nokia have released intel compatible handsets before. The 9000 and 9110 Nokia communicators could both be booted to a dos shell and run basic x86 utilities. Also the wine option is quite exciting as long as there is still an X server (I've heard they're thinking of using some different framebuffer display manager), I guess you should still be able to start one. Sounds interesting.

Posts: 675 | Thanked: 923 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Needs more bezel... maybe a bezel in the bezel bezel?

Kind Regards,
D4rKlar
* D4rKlar on DeviantART * Maemo5 on DeviantART *
_
* M4riNa D4rK Theme and Iconset *
_

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to D4rKlar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NYC
LOL, this is pretty misguided and goes against everything I have read on this forum in the last three years. If that really is the case, I'd lose any compassion I have left for Nokia...

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
So... MeeGo on ARM was Nokia's backup plan?
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Why are you guys so surprised that the first Meego phone will be running on an Intel x86 processor??

Did you honestly think that Intel a chip manufacturer would join hands with Nokia in developing a new mobile Linux distro, only so that Nokia can produce more phones with ARM processors that are produced by other not-Intel chip manufacturers??

Get real... (trying really hard not to be snide here...)

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to hopla For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
Originally Posted by HellFlyer View Post
Given the fact that in MeeGo repos there are only ARM compiled builds
Not true - they have been working on x86 from the start (see Aava Mobile). If true, I would not be surprised as the x86 handset build seems to be a lot further along than the ARM version. I remember Stskeeps saying a while back that for whatever reason they have encountered all kinds of problems that the x86 team has not.

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

The Following User Says Thank You to cfh11 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
Yeah right I totally forgot about that well if that's is the case then N900 is really gonna be last and the most mistreated device in Nokia's history

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011