I dropped my N900 2-3 weeks ago.

- When I try to turn it off, white LED glows but no vibration.
- No nokia logo or anything else on the screen
- When I plug it to USB, PC founds drives
- Seems touchscreen does not respond. I try to locate and click on Mass storage button on the screen to get in into mass storage mode to access the files.. but it fails.

I ordered a replacement flex cable with camera from ebay and I replaced it today.
- When I turn on the phone, white LED does not glow... Nothing happens

I connect the old flex cable without assembling the board, white LED glows.

Do you think this new flex cable faulty or something? I bought it from an UK located seller. He stated:
Perfect replacement flex ribbon cable!
Beware of cheaper OEM flex ribbon cable which will never offer the same performance as the official product.
This is why I paid a bit more than other items in ebay.

Any opinions?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sbk For This Useful Post:
Additionally :

With the replacement cable:

-When I plug charger or USB cable, LED glows orange without flash.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sbk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
the flex cable isnt broken? or more than the cable is broken

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to F2thaK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sbk View Post
I ordered a replacement flex cable with camera from ebay and I replaced it today.
i'll do that next week. Do you have any tip to me ? I mean, about the replacement process... How much time that glue needs to completelly dry ?
Any tip will be pretty much welcome.
Thank you very much.

EDIT: Just found a good thread about that: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=86597

Last edited by saponga; 2013-01-11 at 18:12.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to saponga For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by saponga View Post
i'll do that next week. Do you have any tip to me ? I mean, about the replacement process... How much time that glue needs to completelly dry ?
Any tip will be pretty much welcome.
Thank you very much.

EDIT: Just found a good thread about that: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=86597
Quick reply...
Ideally, the flex cable should arrive with its own glue-adhesive on the back, so you don't need to glue it on - the adhesive just works instantly as you put new flex cable into the place (don't leave any old glue from the old flex cable, though; I imagine that the adhesive of the new flex cable needs clean, not-dusty, not-oily, not-wet surface for the best results).
The original, Nokia's, adhesive was white in my device, and the new flex cable had transparent adhesive.
The main problem I experienced when assembling the device, after gluing the flex cable:
do not forget to put the small part (highlighted by red oval in the picture) of slider mechanism _under_ the keypad-keyboard, or it will cause much grief for you.
Best wishes.
Attached Images

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Thaks for the tips wikiwide. I'm asking about the glue because the seller told me that he is sending "the glue as well". So, it seems to me that i'll get a piece os s*
I'll report back.

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by saponga View Post
Thaks for the tips wikiwide. I'm asking about the glue because the seller told me that he is sending "the glue as well". So, it seems to me that i'll get a piece os s*
I'll report back.
Quick reply...
Either it's a case of poor wording (and he means the glue-adhesive on the back of the flex cable, trying to reassure you), or you might have to get another flex cable (be aware that some glues can eat through plastic and metal, or be highly flammable and thus intolerant of high temperatures).
In case you need another flex cable, here are links to the one I used: CPA, EBay

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 226 | Thanked: 270 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Bosnia and Herzegovina
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
Quick reply...

In case you need another flex cable, here are links to the one I used: CPA, EBay
Is this flex with working camera? Thanks

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dzano For This Useful Post:
Holy s* !!! I did it !!! I just can't believe that it works, but i did it !!! Now i've got two fully functional N900 .
Thanks all !!! I bought a suposelly broken N900 with that "all telephony functions disable" s*, just to take off the LCD from it and put on my broken N900. Long story short, the problem wasn't on LCD and i just change the ribbon and my N900 was born again !!! Plus, i managed to fix that "telephone functions" on the other N900 with the pen's spring approach and guess what ? It works like a charm !!! I don't remember now the name of the "spring fix" author but i'll will search just to thank him. Long life to the N900 !!!
And just for record, my ribbon came with the glue, so i think i just misunderstood the seller.

Last edited by saponga; 2013-01-16 at 13:25. Reason: typo

Originally Posted by dzano View Post
Is this flex with working camera? Thanks
i don't know about that one but mine is fully functional.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to saponga For This Useful Post:

Tags
best wishes, nokia n900 flex