But does it run Crysis?

And will it blend?

I'm flattered

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 226 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Malaysia
I have to admit I'm a little bit disappointed with the specs... but at the same time, I expected it. At the price point and production quantity in question, anything more is unrealistic. Best guess is that it'll be the next (or next next) device that will have bleeding edge specs... and that this first batch is just to make sure Jolla survives until then

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by biatch0 View Post
I have to admit I'm a little bit disappointed with the specs... but at the same time, I expected it. At the price point and production quantity in question, anything more is unrealistic. Best guess is that it'll be the next (or next next) device that will have bleeding edge specs... and that this first batch is just to make sure Jolla survives until then
there is no next device if they dont sell > 500 000

Originally Posted by Thoke View Post
SailfishOS, TOH possibilities, NSA free, from a Finnish company, all are different reasons for different folks who find the phone worth the cash. Numerable reasons for not buying it exist too, it just depends what you want from a phone (of this price, if that matters to you).
They cannot claim nor market to be NSA free, it cannot be verified, because there are closed source components. Yet to be seen how much, but most likely relatively more than for example in Replicant Android. Closed source drivers and other OS code is exactly where NSA is hiding and to where it targets some of the resources.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...ons-roadmap-us
• The NSA spends $250m a year on a program which, among other goals, works with technology companies to "covertly influence" their product designs.

The Following User Says Thank You to zimon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Is that an official figure? I remember seeing that they needed only a fifth of that...

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by TDSii View Post
i can swallow the 1GB ram, though 2GB ram should be the norm. by the time this mobile goes public. 2GB will be common and 1GB will be for mid range devices.
I'm having 3GB now. 2GB is midrange...

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
I'm having 3GB now. 2GB is midrange...
Do you have Galaxy Note 3?
I am thinking to upgrade from SGS3 to it. That kind of hardware would be ideal right now for running Android and Qt applications at the same time 24/7 and not worry about process swapping (Sailfish) or pausing (Android).

The Following User Says Thank You to zimon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post
Is that an official figure? I remember seeing that they needed only a fifth of that...
yes, in some interview. And definitivly one of the reason they can not go to hiend because that would be even less chance to sell because of higher prices.

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2013-09-29 at 10:08.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 284 | Thanked: 661 times | Joined on Aug 2013 @ Finland
Originally Posted by zimon View Post
They cannot claim nor market to be NSA free, it cannot be verified, because there are closed source components. Yet to be seen how much, but most likely relatively more than for example in Replicant Android. Closed source drivers and other OS code is exactly where NSA is hiding and to where it targets some of the resources.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...ons-roadmap-us
While I lack the relevant knowledge about these matters, I think you're correct. At least the first Jolla phone will use Android drivers, because that's the only (affordable) option SoC manufacturers offer. But the point is more in that Jolla doesn't have to comply with NSA's demands due to being Finnish (European) company. You're right, if the source is closed we won't know what's the case, but right now, AFAIK, Android drivers are a necessary evil to deal with.

PS: I think only the OS needs to be open source for the verification of it being spying-free. UI can be closed source.

Last edited by Thoke; 2013-09-29 at 09:47.

The Following User Says Thank You to Thoke For This Useful Post:
Posts: 284 | Thanked: 661 times | Joined on Aug 2013 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post
Originally Posted by mikecomputing
I think they've said somewhere that they would break even if they sold 250 000 devices.

Last edited by Thoke; 2013-09-30 at 15:26. Reason: missed a zero...

The Following User Says Thank You to Thoke For This Useful Post: