Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
According to the draft schedule a Maemo Party will be held in the first night of the summit, I don't know if the organizers expect any input/ideas from the community or if the party will be entirely decided by them, but after read about the very good party's that was held at GCDS, I think we should share some ideas here .

Personally I would love a more dynamic party, karaoke, instruments for the maemo musicians will be a plus, I also discourage very loud music and techno/trace music, rock/pop will fit better with the expected audience IMO.

Thoughts ?

Ideas ?

What are your opinion about last year party ?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VDVsx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Last year's party was good in terms of food, drink, having an outside area near some water. Not a fan of the trance-like music, though.

I'd love more of a party atmosphere: some background music with which you can chat to people (not far too loud) and then a set or two from a band playing rock/pop people can sing along and dance to after a couple of beers.

For the band bit, there's a Queen covers band based in Amsterdam which looks quite good: http://www.miracle-online.nl/promo/

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 528 | Thanked: 895 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Moscow, Russia
Oh, no Queen covers for god sake, especially that one karaoke is a very good idea though :P

The Following User Says Thank You to wazd For This Useful Post:
Posts: 263 | Thanked: 679 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Lyon, France
Originally Posted by VDVsx View Post
According to the draft schedule a Maemo Party will be held in the first night of the summit, I don't know if the organizers expect any input/ideas from the community or if the party will be entirely decided by them, but after read about the very good party's that was held at GCDS, I think we should share some ideas here .

Personally I would love a more dynamic party, karaoke, instruments for the maemo musicians will be a plus, I also discourage very loud music and techno/trace music, rock/pop will fit better with the expected audience IMO.

Thoughts ?
Important things for a great party:
  1. Inside space for people who want music & dancing, outside space for people who want conversation
  2. Activities for fun - Wii tournament or Guitar Heroes or Karaoke (last 2 can substitute for music)
  3. Beer & food (although food not required)
  4. Places to lounge around & mingle with people who you don't know
  5. Late start the following day

Another idea for fun stuff: sumo wrestling: http://www.morfabaywales.co.uk/sumo.html - I've seen this be fun before, for about the first two hours of the evening (then the novelty wears off). Alternative suggestion: wait until midnight to start the sumo wrestling, when people are already a little plied with drink.

Ideas ?

What are your opinion about last year party ?
I liked last year's party - except the mood was pretty subdued inside, Karaoke might help there, as would the wii (with 4 wiimotes). I did bow out pretty early (around 1am) tired & wary of the day after, mind...

Cheers,
Dave.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dneary For This Useful Post:
Posts: 263 | Thanked: 679 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Lyon, France
Originally Posted by dneary View Post
Important things for a great party:
  1. Inside space for people who want music & dancing, outside space for people who want conversation
  2. Activities for fun - Wii tournament or Guitar Heroes or Karaoke (last 2 can substitute for music)
  3. Beer & food (although food not required)
  4. Places to lounge around & mingle with people who you don't know
  5. Late start the following day

Another idea for fun stuff: sumo wrestling: http://www.morfabaywales.co.uk/sumo.html - I've seen this be fun before, for about the first two hours of the evening (then the novelty wears off). Alternative suggestion: wait until midnight to start the sumo wrestling, when people are already a little plied with drink.
One more idea: Amsterdam = canals = boarts. Party on a boat cruise, maybe?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dneary For This Useful Post:
boats+alcohol=fewer attendees for the next day (and next year)

Sounds cool though

Last year was good, the priorities are imo, some music but not too loud as some of us would like to chat and hack while drinking too, beer and some food.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I don't remember food at the Summit party. Some pretzel sticks, but no food. That was actually a disappointment-for me...

The Openismus party was way better in terms of food -- pizza!

They also had a Wii, for those who like that.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 131 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Pistoia, Italy
It would be GREAT

but... I relly don't know how much would be cost... in particular a boat that can contain 2-300 people

Anyway I suggest you, if you have at least 1 hour free time, to do a touristic trip on a boat. It's cheap (about 6-7€ if I can remember) and you have the opportuinity to see a lot of things around that lovely city

Posts: 152 | Thanked: 620 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Netherlands
I guess Jussi needs to join this thread as he is the one organising this party and the one with the supposed budget

Rumour has it that he knows how to party though...

The Following User Says Thank You to X-Fade For This Useful Post:
Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
The boat party in GUADEC Istanbul was great at least :-)

The Following User Says Thank You to bergie For This Useful Post:

Tags
party, summit