Notices


Reply
Thread Tools
tso's Avatar
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,252 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
#201
Got to admit, i am considering one of the galaxy player/wifi models as a N800 replacement. The 5" model in particular seems interesting.
__________________
Be warned, posts are often line of thoughts at highway speeds...
 

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 669 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Mar 2009
#202
Originally Posted by tso View Post
Got to admit, i am considering one of the galaxy player/wifi models as a N800 replacement.
Yeah, that would probably be my next move (probably with CyanogenMod). But I hope I'll never actually have to replace my N810. ;-)
__________________
* n810 since Feb 2009
* Most-used apps: Opera, gPodder, Panucci, Tomiku, Canola, Quasar, MaemoMapper, ATI85, Maemopad+, AisleRiot Solitaire, Anagramarama, Rapier, Gnumeric, pyRDesktop
* Mobile-friendly URLs of popular sites
 
Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
#203
Originally Posted by Den in USA View Post
...I now mostly use a Dell Streak 5,...

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=33251
umm... that is new for Den . I suspect that would be the common pathway for a lot of N8x0/N900... eventually!?

bun
 

The Following User Says Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
Den in USA's Avatar
Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 640 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
#204
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
umm... that is new for Den . I suspect that would be the common pathway for a lot of N8x0/N900... eventually!?

bun
What is interesting is that after finding an "alternate" device, I still get quicker responses to my "Dell Streak" questions on this forum.

Name:  Dell Streak 5.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  54.6 KB
__________________
N800 / Diablo / 16gb int / 16gb ext / Globalsat BT-359 gps ..... Dell Streak 5 - Android 2.2.2
 

The Following User Says Thank You to Den in USA For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
#205
Originally Posted by Den in USA View Post
...I still get quicker responses to my "Dell Streak" questions on this forum.

Attachment 24585
I am NOT surprised. This forum has a lot of good hearts and people will to help. Have you tried ice scream sandwich yet? I am still with gingerbreed... The tablets or smartphones I got, the manufacturer NEVER release any upgrade. NEVER. They stucked with whatever android it came with

bun
 

The Following User Says Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
Den in USA's Avatar
Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 640 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
#206
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
I am NOT surprised. This forum has a lot of good hearts and people will to help. Have you tried ice scream sandwich yet? I am still with gingerbreed... The tablets or smartphones I got, the manufacturer NEVER release any upgrade. NEVER. They stucked with whatever android it came with

bun
My Streak came with Android 2.2.2 and I have no reason at this time to upgrade. Like you, my Streak never prompts me to update to a later verson.
__________________
N800 / Diablo / 16gb int / 16gb ext / Globalsat BT-359 gps ..... Dell Streak 5 - Android 2.2.2
 
Posts: 3 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ New England / USA
#207
Originally Posted by iontruo2 View Post
Catching up ...been awhile. Hi friends of the N800. While my iPhone 3GS dominates the day...there is nothing like the Love I had for my N800...til the pregnant wife swiped it and I had to purchase a second one. lol
In the end it worked out good because we were video calling all over the house and from the horse barn while she was a little confined to bed.
After looking around for a very small WiFi device that I could use for travel, I picked up a new (old-stock) N810. My disappointment is that I can not get Skype for it because Skype is no longer providing their client, even on a legacy basis.

I really don't know too much about the N810 and its maemo OS2008, but was wondering if there is any other easy option to set up VoIP between the N810 and another computer, just to call home. (I have pidgin installed on the N810 and that works well via AIM for text.)

Any suggestions? Thanks.
 
tso's Avatar
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,252 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
#208
Some kind of SIP server perhaps?
__________________
Be warned, posts are often line of thoughts at highway speeds...
 
Posts: 2,802 | Thanked: 4,489 times | Joined on Nov 2007
#209
Originally Posted by The Old Bear View Post
My disappointment is that I can not get Skype for it because Skype is no longer providing their client, even on a legacy basis.
I don't use Skype, but I think the Maemo client is only available via the Nokia repositories. What happens when you run the (pre-installed) skype installer app?

I really don't know too much about the N810 and its maemo OS2008, but was wondering if there is any other easy option to set up VoIP between the N810 and another computer, just to call home.
The built-in SIP and Jabber clients both do VoIP.
 
n9ots's Avatar
Posts: 139 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ mid gulf coast florida
#210
Originally Posted by lma View Post
I don't use Skype, but I think the Maemo client is only available via the Nokia repositories. What happens when you run the (pre-installed) skype installer app?
I just ran the installer and it failed, but when I opened the app manager and chose Skype it installed just fine.
although the app is difficult to use as most of the settings seem to be white text on a white background. (could be a conflict with the maemo5 theme)
looking into it more....it seems that skype was updated a while ago. I took a look at the os2008 downloads page and there is a package called Communications v2.2.0.35 which leads to:
http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/get-skype/on-your-computer/linux/downloading.debian32

wondering if others with skype installed before 2011-10-31 were prompted to update.

Last edited by n9ots; 2012-02-02 at 16:02. Reason: why not?
 
Reply

Thread Tools

 
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 15:17.