Active Topics

Add to this apparent success of N8. It is quite probable that N9 as we dreamed about it (Meego device) is really dead and it will live as Symbian flagship while they create separate line for Meego phones - as was situation with N900.

Heh, with changes in upgrades strategy and failing prices I am seriously considering N8. Only this small screen...

Posts: 590 | Thanked: 475 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ New York City
In March last year when I was in the New York Nokia 'flagship' store (now closed), I was trying to decide between the E75 and the much more expensive N900. I ended up saving $200 and buying the E75 (which got shoved in a drawer 6 months later when I bought the N900!) Anyway, during discussions about the two phones in the store with the Nokia rep, she told me that the E75 was a great phone (it wasn't) but the N900 was Nokia's "flagship model". At the time I thought, wow, that phone must be getting tons of support and attention from the big boys and girls in Finland. I was a little surprised later in the year when I bought the N900 "flagship" and soon discovered that, if it wasn't for Maemo.org and the wonderful supportive community, it would be a series of fruitless phonecalls to Nokia customer service to help me out with the little beast.

At the end of the day, the N9 is a rumor, Meego could be over a year away for a consumer end-product, and I don't think "flagship" is a label worth any weight. If the N8 was the December 2010 flagship phone, then the E7 will be the new flagship for February 2011. And then August it'll be something else (E6?) and then Christmas 2011 something else again. One thing's for sure, all of this will be based on speculation, rumor and unreliable sources. Nothing from Nokia itself, but then again, why should they?

The Following User Says Thank You to AndyNokia232 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
yeah. Nokia...Why should you comunicate with your customers and shareholders. Just keep your heads in the sand and see how it turns out for you.

Nokia will have a strategy and numbers presentation in london a few days before barcelona. Will see if they have any strategy about the high end market. cant continue like this. They need to get E7 to the stores and another announced pronto.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
nothing new with this many has already said here that maemo harmattan was killed in november when libmeegotouch and orbit/symbian4 was killed. My guess is one of the reason Jaaksi leave was cause he know this was the plans... infact his little project died including the phone.

The new Meego people probadly dished it cause they want theyr own. We know for sure N900 was developed by a very small team inside nokia.

Now this probadly has changed and some of the projectleaders in the symbianteam is now taking over the meego cause they know its the way to go for more advanced phones.

But this also means they want todo it theyr way. so why not just kill old n9...

just my guess...

Infact nothing special with that, big companys has always many prototype products that never get released. Kinda sad for many who for example like n900. My guess is n900 would never get released last year if Elop was CEO that time. Now we probadly see this is the case for N9..

Just my..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Seriously If Nokia did kill the inFamous N9 then I would be happily jumping up and down with my support and thanking them. N9 was announce in late 2009 after the N900 is released that it will be using Ti OMAP3xxx, WTF!!! only OMAP3?? If it's true then N9 is already failed before it release date. The processor and specs would be outdated 1year to 1 year and half by the releasing time.

Thank god Nokia cancelled that damned thing. Bring out the big boy toy Nokia, Dual Cores and 1GB RAM, all Nokia devices are either insufficient in RAM or Processor muscle. N900 has the potential but at the same time lacking potentials. 256MB RAM << FTW!! It's barely enough to do things sometimes.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/...3&viewall=true

Last edited by maxximuscool; 2011-01-23 at 22:09.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to maxximuscool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Agreed - I hope the RM680 has been shelved in favour of a more recent design.

The RM-680 specs are hardly cutting edge in todays market, and they were barely cutting edge assuming it was meant to be launched 6 months ago. Nokia would run the risk of becoming a laughing stock if they launched the RM-680 in another one, two or three months time and tried to claim it as their flagship MeeGo device when everyone else is (or has already been) shipping dual core devices with more memory and higher resolution screens. I wouldn't be surprised to discover the RM-680 also lacks something like NFC which is becoming de rigueur on high end devices.

The RM-680 is only fit to be an E7 upgrade running Symbian later in 2011 or maybe early 2012. It is not fit to be a MeeGo device.

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Yorkshire, UK
Glad I am not the only one who saw this coming. Makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

Anti-Nokia Ambassador

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Agreed - I hope the RM680 has been shelved in favour of a more recent design.

The RM-680 specs are hardly cutting edge in todays market, and they were barely cutting edge assuming it was meant to be launched 6 months ago. Nokia would run the risk of becoming a laughing stock if they launched the RM-680 in another one, two or three months time and tried to claim it as their flagship MeeGo device when everyone else is (or has already been) shipping dual core devices with more memory and higher resolution screens. I wouldn't be surprised to discover the RM-680 also lacks something like NFC which is becoming de rigueur on high end devices.

The RM-680 is only fit to be an E7 upgrade running Symbian later in 2011 or maybe early 2012. It is not fit to be a MeeGo device.
All this stuff about dualcore is just soo hyped.

Are we sure those handset who has dualcore is really is optimized yet for dualcore?

I am not an expert but I am sure dualcore is not the only thing that makes the phone fast/best. We have seen it before with Qualcom 800mhz vs Cortex A8 600Mhz.

The same goes for mobilecameras is like when manufactors make us think 12mpix mobilecamera is better than a DSLR camera of 6mpix. 12 mpix on a mobile camera is so damn pointless when the sensor is so damn small. Yet people a dumb enough buy theyr arguments and think its better. Some maybe even think 12mpix mobilecamera is better than 6mpix DSLR camera.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
good. now they can add hardware keyboard.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
there are more than one thing that dual core ARM doing better than single core.
* 1080p encoding and decoding without consuming all the cpu cycles
* Multitasking will be smooth and less time to do tasks
* gaming will be on a different level
* smoother GUI transitions
* better batter usage (in theory, two horses can climb steeper hill than one horse)
* May need OS optimisations to make good use of the muscle. ( for crying out loud, android Honeycom didn't even have dual core support and yet there are devices released with dual cores for it)

Please don't compare a DSLR to a mobile camera. it's like you are comparing a DSLR to Hubble telescope. Two on different class of devices. DSLR has the optical capability but mbile is fixed lense. Comparing Qualcomm to Cortex is like AMD to Intel. We've seen the war before and both archetectures are similar just different approach.

if N9 doesn't have atleast dual core A9 + 1GB RAM then I don't think Nokia will ever compete in the fast growing mobile era. Also having 12MP camera is a bonus when recording video in high resolution and densing the pixel to 1080p is better than 5mp, eg. N8 took great videos quality.

The Following User Says Thank You to maxximuscool For This Useful Post:

Tags
cia debunked, its true, n9 is a myth, no kia, scifi, top secret