Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Looks like an actual review of the tablet is now out (and came out a few days ago -- sorry if this has been noted elsewhere already); note that it is in Finnish (but the Google translation seemed mostly readable):

http://www.digitoday.fi/vimpaimet/20...t/201511074/66

The reviewer finds that the tablet has sufficient processing power (he/she compares against the Jolla phone), a decent screen (but not quite as good as the iPad / Samsung competitors), decent battery life (better than I had expected), and pretty awful cameras .

Apparently, the most significant issue the reviewer found was compatibility with Android apps. Perhaps due to the Intel processor (I wasn't quite sure on this point) many of the apps are not able to run. So, something to beware of if you are intending to use Android stuff on your tablet...

interesting to see the Aptoide webstore mentioned, i was never very comfortable with Yandex as a threat vector with trusted access into my device.

Originally Posted by Copernicus
note that it is in Finnish (but the Google translation seemed mostly readable):

Well, mostly. My favourite sentence:

Originally Posted by google translate
Problems of Android support, are the result of the choice of processor and Dinghy w outboard motor known.
But that's actually not Google's fault, translating company name...

Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix
interesting to see the Aptoide webstore mentioned, i was never very comfortable with Yandex as a threat vector with trusted access into my device.
Aptoide store is actually already available for Jolla phone, too. You can get it in the Jolla store.

Posts: 100 | Thanked: 389 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Apparently, the most significant issue the reviewer found was compatibility with Android apps. Perhaps due to the Intel processor (I wasn't quite sure on this point) many of the apps are not able to run. So, something to beware of if you are intending to use Android stuff on your tablet...
That part of the article is a bit vague but imho it means probably the different architectures used in the tablet (x86) and in the phone (ARM). For example: https://together.jolla.com/question/...izing-the-ndk/

For the same reason I guess that over 90 % of the apps currently in the Jolla Store for the phone are not available during this year for the tablet. To convert the pre-existing apps for the tablet and to get them in the store devs have to do some work:

1) Adapt the app UI for the bigger resolution. Most of the current apps will look awful on the tablet if some serious changes are not done for the UI. Depending on app this might take only some hours but I'm pretty confident that this means dozens of hours of additional work for many of the devs.

2) Compile the app for x86. This should be easy.

I might get maybe one of my apps converted during this year (if the tablet SDK is released before October), rest of them maybe next year.

Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Looks like an actual review of the tablet is now out (and came out a few days ago -- sorry if this has been noted elsewhere already); note that it is in Finnish (but the Google translation seemed mostly readable):

The reviewer finds that the tablet has sufficient processing power (he/she compares against the Jolla phone), a decent screen (but not quite as good as the iPad / Samsung competitors), decent battery life (better than I had expected), and pretty awful cameras .

Difficult to call a couple of paragraphs a review. It's a small preview, even if it is on final software / hardware.

Re: Aptoide ... it's been available for over a year.

Posts: 423 | Thanked: 478 times | Joined on Sep 2014 @ Netherlands
I had a Motorola Razr i with Intel x86 for about a month 1,5 years ago and I didn't find any Android apps that were missing from the Play Store. What has changed since then (if I have to believe that so-called review)?

Originally Posted by bluefoot View Post
Difficult to call a couple of paragraphs a review. It's a small preview, even if it is on final software / hardware.
It's not on final software, as mentioned in the article. Version tested was 1.1.9.26, updates were also pushed during tests. Hopefully it's not too buggy on delivery...

Posts: 100 | Thanked: 389 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Finland
Originally Posted by vistaus View Post
I had a Motorola Razr i with Intel x86 for about a month 1,5 years ago and I didn't find any Android apps that were missing from the Play Store. What has changed since then (if I have to believe that so-called review)?
I guess it has something to do with the Alien Dalvik + x86.

Originally Posted by vistaus View Post
I guess the reviewer has misunderstood what's causing problems. Most likely the issue is in Android compatibility layer, which has to be adapted to x86 same way it had to be adapted to Qualcomm chip on Jolla phone. It was quite unstable on initial release back then... hopefully it's not that bad on release.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Intel has developed ARM-emulation for Android NDK stuff, and since the tablet is built on Intel's reference platform, Intel might license its technology for use on the tablet.

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund