Notices

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
How can I open a link in a new tab?
Is there a history listing? If so, where do I find it and how does it work?
how do i copy a link location?
how do i save in image from a web page?
how do i save a web page for offline viewing?
how do i send a page by mail?
how do i go back to open tabs if i accidentally touched the "new tab" icon but really dont want to enter a new web address?
how do i copy text and images?
how do i use this browser in real-life?

it's really phenomenal how a browser that can do so little (and does what it does in such a complicated way) is so slow and has such a giant memory footprint.

(oh, and did i mention i had rendering issues with wrong fonts selected? why's this? shouldn't it render the same way as ff?)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
how do i copy a link location?
how do i save in image from a web page?
how do i save a web page for offline viewing?
how do i send a page by mail?
how do i go back to open tabs if i accidentally touched the "new tab" icon but really dont want to enter a new web address?
how do i copy text and images?
how do i use this browser in real-life?

it's really phenomenal how a browser that can do so little (and does what it does in such a complicated way) is so slow and has such a giant memory footprint.

(oh, and did i mention i had rendering issues with wrong fonts selected? why's this? shouldn't it render the same way as ff?)
You ask a lot of questions for a guy from Austria.

I agree, this little fox is neither sly nor nimble on the N8**'s

I'm going back to my UserContent managed microB using qwerty12's WMLbrowser plug-in and my locally stored HTML.

Yeah, I take back most of the good things I said. There's no way a QA person put this thing through its paces on an n8x0. And there's no need for me to be specific. Just browse your 3 favorite sites in separate tabs and try to bounce back and forth between them. Enjoy!

Well
still slow on the 800. Probably expected.
Got two out of memory errors when I had NYT and counterpunch loading in separate tabs.

Fonts were really badly rendered and got worse as I used the zoom buttons.

Back to Tear and MicroB

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post

I agree, this little fox is neither sly nor nimble on the N8**'s

I'm going back to my UserContent managed microB using qwerty12's WMLbrowser plug-in and my locally stored HTML.
Hmm, YoDude, what do you do with the WMLbrowser? I just installed it, restarted MicroB, it says the plug-in is enabled, and I don't see what it's doing; or I don't know what site to go to in order to see it in action.

On Google Mobile, it wants to know what phone I'm using and doesn't seem to work with my N800 (at least if I put in Android or Other).

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by thecursedfly View Post
Can we foresee a Fennec - MicroB "war" in a close future? ^^
Not at all. Both teams collaborate closely and actually the Maemo Brawser engine development is done mostly upstrean in mozilla.org

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:

(you would prefer me to do some yodelling instead, right?)

ah, wml. i love this plug-in. i had all forgotten about the wml-sites i'd created years ago, yet at least one of them still exists! it even gets updated because the wml-stuff is automatically created via XSLT from the same XML-source that also feeds the HTML and PDF-versions. i should ask the owner for statistics one day... if it's still being requested by clients.

(being able to frighten the kids away with creepy stories from the past is one of the joys that come with age.)

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 78 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Melbourne
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Not at all. Both teams collaborate closely and actually the Maemo Brawser engine development is done mostly upstrean in mozilla.org
it will be good if they can merge then... create the best possible browser in mobile device =) creating "MicroFennec-B" =)

Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
I just installed it, restarted MicroB, it says the plug-in is enabled, and I don't see what it's doing; or I don't know what site to go to in order to see it in action.
try
http://members.aon.at/neumair/index_en.wml

it doesn't give you the full, shiny WML user experience, but it works. what would happen on a real WML device is that the WML-site comes up automatically when you go to http://members.aon.at/neumair/
also, there'd by a stunningly beautiful black-and-white image on top of the page. (and by black-and-white, i mean real black-and-white: no shades of grey) the plug-in can't handle this image format.
and of course, you wouldn't see all of the text on one page. the sections (properly named cards) would appear as separate pages on your handset. this is why you need the links in between for navigation.

now isn't it beautiful?

Hi All,

Perhaps I'm missing something, but I thought the built in browser on the N900 was built on Mozilla's engine. If this is the case why have Fennec? Which presumably is also built on mozilla tech?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but it seems odd to have two browsers that seem to be from the same people (i.e. Mozilla).

Dex

Tags
browser, mozilla