Posts: 223 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ home
If I understand your question correctly, it went to the side "automatically". Since I made the skin with a "wide screen" (the n800 is longer wide than it is tall), the emulator automatically has it as if you were holding it sideways (from the perspective of a "regular phone"). I hope that answers your question.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
thats kinda interesting given the position of the bar and other items, and makes the system quite flexible by the looks of it

guess it triggered some kind of built in movement sensor code or something...

still, it could be fun if maemo adopted a similar slide in launcher...

Posts: 149 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by jzencovich View Post
So using an n810W.... making phone calls via Skype.... You just converted your tablet into a cell!
And how long is your N810 battery life if you have Skype connected the whole time? I think someone wants to call you and not only otherwise!?
If you want to have good voice quality you must set power save to medium in your wifi settings.
Then you can't have Skype running the whole day without a charger. This isn't a serious phone, this is like a toy.

The way I understand things, Android is very optimized (saving battery life...) to be able to run a full fledged Linux OS on a cell phone. Running lots of Java no less. So I think the guys at Google foresaw having the "need" to keep running skype without dramatically affecting battery life. (think Intent Receiver/Services; code is dormant till triggered)

And how long is your N810 battery life if you have Skype connected the whole time?
I'm not running Skype (on my N800) all the time, but sometimes I keep it running all day at least (and sometimes longer). It doesn't seem to have a major impact on the battery drain. I haven't noticed any at least.

I've had hours long conversations on skype (2-3 hours). The battery can handle it. But Skype need not be "always running", it could be integrated as a service. So only the most basic components are running, using up as little memory and cycles as possible, JUST to listen for incoming calls. As soon as one is coming through it will launch the full Skype program.

You think your phone runs 24/7 just waiting for a call? When you have few resources you learn to economize. A cell nor a tablet is no different.

Not to mention you're already running a VoIP client (of sorts) full time on maemo. Have people forgotten that you can do voice chat with your Google Talk contacts (and even video chat, if they're on a Nokia tablet as well)? With the rtcomm beta it also supports SIP for VoIP calls, and has a phone dialer. VoIP is definitely a viable alternative to traditional cell phone radios, assuming you can get an internet connection wherever you want.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by xiaohx08 View Post
great.provide plus size wedding dresses.we are a professional wedding dresses factory, provide plus wedding dresses for some people with larger size, if you don't know where buy, you can contact with us for free. we accept custom cust order, and free custom cust cost no tax.we also sale wedding gowns, bridal gowns and wedding dress.if our information not useful, you can cancel them.thanks!
I'm 6' 2" tall and 280 lbs... Do you have something that fit me? ...off white, of course.

WTF?

Posts: 125 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Bellshill, UK
Android 1.0 SDK, Release 1 http://code.google.com/android/download_list.html

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gerrymoth For This Useful Post:
Posts: 109 | Thanked: 196 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Guatemala
Originally Posted by slha89 View Post
And how long is your N810 battery life if you have Skype connected the whole time?
Then you can't have Skype running the whole day without a charger. This isn't a serious phone, this is like a toy.
Your claim that just because Skype is connected it will drain very fast your battery is pretty bogus, the way software works in modern OSes like Linux is that the app runs and then blocks (normally waiting for I/O, timers, etc.) until rescheduled, if the app doesn't block itself then the Linux scheduler will put it to sleep to avoid starvation. Skype as the majority of network apps will sleep waiting for events or expiration of it's timers. Powertop reports 10ms timers for Skype on x86 which are not that good but it's a hell lot of time to sleep for a CPU, I'm pretty confident Skype is not a battery drainer per se. Network traffic via WiFi or Bluetooth drains more the battery but Skype traffic when not in-call is negligible. Obviously there are a lot of factors so YMMV.

Tags
android