Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
finally some useful info in this thread

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Why not? They've stumbled with the tablet, but they've finally started to crack open the OS market. They're looking like the only significant competitor to Android at the moment (that is, as a mobile device OS not tied down to a particular manufacturer's products). So, they do still have a story to sell...
I don't want o feed trolls like ZogG but...

It just marketing talk. So far no company has shown any device with SFOS. I am sorry to say it but I doubt we will see it in reality.

SFOS still missing features that almost all devices has support for today such as bluetooth profiles(RFCOM?), usb host mode etc... and QT API to use internal/external sensors, bluetooth etc.

Some of that could be there if they upgraded Qt... Jolla say they are a SW company but they lack time to upgrade the most important core components? Now that makes me wonder how they can compete with Android? If they want that they must support this basic stuff.

You may now say: "such stuff is only used by geeks". Seriously no!

More and more people use they phone/tablet to connect external stuff as sensors etc. Turn on/off light in home etc... Connected via BT, serial etc...

And ofcourse geeks also use phone/tablet to connect to RPI, Arduino, STM32 Nucleo etc... Connecting sensors to Tablet, Phone is already mainstream. That's why we need more ready API.

The thing is programmers are lazy and not interesting to use low end hack to get basic stuff working.

It is a really shame every time I see a youtube clip where they use some Android device to connect to a sensor or STM32 Nucleo, Arduino etc... I often think: "Hey that I should do with my Jolla Phone" then I realise: "I need that X API, lets see if Qt has this. I should forget this I need Qt 5.4 making that work " or "I need USB Hostmode"

Posts: 1,104 | Thanked: 5,652 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Holland
Any unit of water added to another unit of water becomes treated as just a single mass of water.
Yeah, but moisture is the essence of wetness.

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 1,340 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
SFOS still missing features that almost all devices has support for today such as bluetooth profiles(RFCOM?), usb host mode etc... and QT API to use internal/external sensors, bluetooth etc.
The first iPhone came out with ZERO APIs (no third party application support) and even at that time Nokia phones had very wide APIs to do communication with outside world. Still the first iPhone sold like hotcakes.

And the APIs will come but it takes time. It took long time for Nokia Symbian, iPhone and Android. It will also take time for Sailfish OS.

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
It is a really shame every time I see a youtube clip where they use some Android device to connect to a sensor or STM32 Nucleo, Arduino etc... I often think: "Hey that I should do with my Jolla Phone" then I realise: "I need that X API, lets see if Qt has this. I should forget this I need Qt 5.4 making that work " or "I need USB Hostmode"
I think there is a difference. In Sailfish OS there are lower level "Linux" APIs available for many of things even if the higher level APIs are not yet there. So writing that kind of apps requires more work right now with Sailflish OS but it is possible compared to other more closed platforms.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Any unit of water added to another unit of water becomes treated as just a single mass of water.
That's exactly where I am coming from. Addition is cumulative: if adding two parts of water makes a single part of water, so does removing a part. If you remove water from water, does it make the remaining water dry? Not unless you've removed so much that there is nothing left to remove.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by att View Post
And the APIs will come but it takes time. It took long time for Nokia Symbian, iPhone and Android. It will also take time for Sailfish OS.
The difference is that when the iPhone came out, it had no iPhone to compete with, if you catch my drift. The world has moved since 2007, releasing a half-baked system and expecting the masses swoon no longer works.

I think there is a difference. In Sailfish OS there are lower level "Linux" APIs available for many of things even if the higher level APIs are not yet there. So writing that kind of apps requires more work right now with Sailflish OS but it is possible compared to other more closed platforms.
THAT is definitely true. Thanks for saying that, I was going to say something along those lines but you said it better.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
The first iPhone came out with ZERO APIs (no third party application support) and even at that time Nokia phones had very wide APIs to do communication with outside world. Still the first iPhone sold like hotcakes.
That was 2007 and when Iphone came the phone was unique and cool for the masses. It is 2015 and most users expect what I listed is working from start.

It should already been there. Some of the API has been discussed since SFOS 1.0 beta two years ago. And some even since Harmattan time. Lets say they decide porting to newer Qt probadly means a 6-8 month work, testing etc... And that means we will see it a year from now. Do they have money doing that? Sorry I doubt.

Again developers, like myself, are lazy and expect API is there already and want to use their time make apps not spend time hack low level coding that may break next release or not even allowed in store.

For example if you are a employed developer that want to support SFOS you probadly don't have time playing with low level hacks.

And guess what? If Jolla want to success they they need pro applications. Apps like the masses want! And if the API is not in place no pro developer are interested in support the platform.

2007 was different you can't compare what IOS was in that time and SFOS is now. People expect more these days. When IOS came 2007 it was something fresh.

The problem with Jolla is. 2012 I though Jolla is great for hackers and geeks. And later they may get bigger.

But it is now 2015. Jolla Phone is not that hacker friendly that I hoped for and they still struggles getting companys release a mass market phone.

So who is Jolla for? Seriously I have lost hope on this company even if I have big respect for the people behind it, and the community. The idea to create something unique and pissing on Elop. But something has got wrong latelly...

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2015-11-08 at 12:26.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Why are you guys always stuck in the past?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Because there is a limit for how long you can wait for "bright" future

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
He who controls the past controls the future. That is how the pet consumer can be duped into believing that a supposedly 'new' feature is not merely a re-introduction of something that was previously taken away. Alternatively, they can be convinced that removing some basic feature is in their best interest because leaving said feature intact would simply be unworkable, despite the fact that there have been no problems with it to date (e.g removing microSD slot because it is too 'confusing' for the user).

My website

GitHub

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund