Poll: N900 - Harddrive is in Read Only Mode
Poll Options
N900 - Harddrive is in Read Only Mode

Posts: 391 | Thanked: 908 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ suncity
Originally Posted by michaaa62 View Post
The vfat file-system does break easily. A crash while operating on a file surely does you give a corrupted file system!

The only way out would be a file-system check, fsck or chkdsk, but it seems you do not feel the need to do what is necessary.

Stop complaining!!!
michaaa62,

please, take it easy... you helped me about 3 years ago, and i was very thankful for that. I know how easy is to break our n900, I have done it several times, but I'm learning every day... I wasn't complaining, I just wanted to point out that such thing - i.e. frozen file explorer in windows - could do such thing.

And just for the record: with linux live cd I was able to browse the "broken" folder and even delete it (no fsck was used at all), so it won't bother anything on the n900, everything is working fine, no error messages.

cheers ,

jm

The Following User Says Thank You to justmemory For This Useful Post:
I don't get the "stop complaining" part, but, otherwise michaaa62 is right. You should fsck.vfat /dev/mmcblk0p1 (BTW, it doesn't account for "fsck emmc", as you're fscking only a partition on EMMC, not all of them...), or you may end up with FUTURE data corruption, too. Not very healthy to left damaged filesystem in such state.

Note, that if you're worried about losing data, you may backup your MyDocs content (minus said known damaged file), and fsck it only afterwards.

Cheers,
/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 391 | Thanked: 908 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ suncity
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
I don't get the "stop complaining" part, but, otherwise michaaa62 is right. You should fsck.vfat /dev/mmcblk0p1 (BTW, it doesn't account for "fsck emmc", as you're fscking only a partition on EMMC, not all of them...), or you may end up with FUTURE data corruption, too. Not very healthy to left damaged filesystem in such state.

Note, that if you're worried about losing data, you may backup your MyDocs content (minus said known damaged file), and fsck it only afterwards.

Cheers,
/Estel
hi Estel,

yes, thank you both. I was wondering even flashing my device (again) because some other little things are bothering me.

From the last big data loss (that michaaa62 helped me solving) I always do backups, I'm just sometimes too lazy and looking for the easiest way
Anyway, thanks!

jm

EDIT: the next time I attached my n900 to win 7 PC in mass storage mode it warned me that something is wrong with the filesystem and asked me to run checkdisk automatically. I did, everything is looking fine.
(DISCLAIMER! Maybe I was lucky so this isn't a suggestion to anyone who has the same issue as me. Always do backups and check the filesystem the proper way - as michaaa62 and Estel said!)

Last edited by justmemory; 2014-07-16 at 13:08.

Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
My irony tags went corrupt, obviously, sorry.
I tried to solve this but I can't....I can live with this