Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
Just to say I am impressed with the whole 'firmware upgrade' stuff. I had an n95 on first release, and there were a few upgrades. My technician kept telling me 'no don't bother' till there was one really making a difference. It made a huge difference to the phone (espcially to the camera software).

What I'm hoping is that the n900 will basically do that itself without scaring me too much. The n95 went back to the technician for upgrade, and some things were somewhat screwed up by their practice of removing everything to back up, upgrading, and just bunting it back. This time I'm counting on the community to hold my paw through upgrades.

And ArnimS, I appreciate people who push the device to see what a user could break. Cos I bet someone will, and it might be me.
Having used Diablo for years and hearing that the feature is basically unchanged for the N900 you should be very impressed. A little indicator appears in the status area near the battery and signal meter to show an update is available. Tap on that and app manager launches listing available updates. Click on Update or Update all and watch it download and apply the updates in a manner similar to an install. Often no reboot required.

Posts: 245 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Bad Homburg, Deutschland
What I missed in the application manager when it comes to updates, and installing applications in general, is the fact that you can not select more than one application to install/update at the time, which can be annoying sometimes. Of course it is always possible to use apt-get from the terminal, but that would not be greeted well with the mainstream users, I guess.

Posts: 183 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by UCOMM View Post
how so?

They did it for diablo and everyone + more are buying up the n900 like its no ones business
Internet tablets just do not have such a big audience.
If you want mobility without missing features you ask yourself:
Is 10" screen size to big? Probably not.
So you will buy a small netbook/umpc instead of an Internet tablet with 4.x" screen.

But if you are going to plan on buying a new smartphone. All have the same screen size, so you buy the one with the most features. Which today would probably be the N900, the new xperia or an iphone.

So this is a totally different story here.

-Albert Camus
If this post was useful, please use the "Thanks"-button and I will do so, when you post something useful.

Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by nowave7 View Post
What I missed in the application manager when it comes to updates, and installing applications in general, is the fact that you can not select more than one application to install/update at the time, which can be annoying sometimes. Of course it is always possible to use apt-get from the terminal, but that would not be greeted well with the mainstream users, I guess.
For updates you can tap the menu and choose "Update all" just like in Maemo4 .

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VDVsx For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by VDVsx View Post
For updates you can tap the menu and choose "Update all" just like in Maemo4 .
But what if I don't want all of the updates?
This seems like a fairly simple task, don't know why it hasn't been implemented?

The Following User Says Thank You to nowave7 For This Useful Post:
But what if I don't want all of the updates?
This seems like a fairly simple task, don't know why it hasn't been implemented?
I would say that 99% of the users want all the updates .
But I agree with you and it seems easy to implement, can you make a enhancement bug report about it ?

Thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to VDVsx For This Useful Post:
Of course, no problem.

The Following User Says Thank You to nowave7 For This Useful Post:
Of course, no problem.
Please post the link back here, in order to the ones wanting that feature (me me) can vote for the bug .

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VDVsx For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dantonic View Post
Not many knew what an N800 or N810 or maemo was prior to the N900. The community was very small. It is now growing very fast and the N900 is barely out.
Very true. I am a massive Nokia fan and in ten years of owning mobile phones I have never had any phone that wasn't made by Nokia. Yet until the N900 I had never heard of internet tablet, N800, N810 or maemo.

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
What I missed in the application manager when it comes to updates, and installing applications in general, is the fact that you can not select more than one application to install/update at the time
As written before you can choose "Update all" from the menu.
For installing, feel free to vote for https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=601 .