Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
This post/thread:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=45213

Might be a good thing to read through regarding many of the issues discussed in here - from N900 user point of view.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
You certainly can update any of the (open source) components whenever you want. Nokia are only pushing out the updates in monolithic patch-sets, but there's nothing preventing you from compiling & installing your own fixed version before then (someone has already put up their own repository for doing just this).
come on.. thats not a solution.. for many many users..

If somebody could just compile and generate a deb file of Modest and put it in one of the repositories then it is a solution yes.
I still hope that there are developers that would pickup the code of Modest and patch it and make there own release so that we can get things like IMAP-IDLE and drafts/send mail on the server. Not downloading all messages in the boxes but only the first X number. Having a bit better ui (for example the send button should also just be somewhere on the screen, now you have to scroll). And more and more issues.
If there is one app that needs in my eyes improvements and fixes it is Modest..
But i guess i was just spoiled with ProfiMail on my E90. That worked so well...

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Kajko View Post
Exactly. Which to me is a bunch of crap.
Indeed. Nokia must change or die. The competition are supporting their devices with major OS updates and typically with support for at least 2 years or more. Mobile networks now tie subscribers to 24 month contracts because of the cost of devices.

For Nokia to have an attitude whereby they deny OS upgrades to consumers who buy phones that barely work in the first place will increasingly make Nokia look like an expensive and unattractive option irrespective of how pretty the OS turns out to be.

Of course Nokia just want to shift more devices in the hope we'll stump up for the next device, but when it turns out to be full of bugs (hey, it's a new OS - AGAIN!) and missing features it's not going to be much fun to learn "everything will be fixed in the next OS, available only on the next device".

This attitude can't be allowed to continue.

The Following User Says Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by jcompagner View Post
Having a bit better ui (for example the send button should also just be somewhere on the screen, now you have to scroll).
Until that's fixed, one of the fastest ways to scroll back to top is ctrl + f, space, enter (it's highly unlikely that you don't have a space in the first couple of lines)... Once you get used to it it makes the inconvinience to scroll large emails back to the top just to send them far more bearable...

Originally Posted by zwer View Post
Until that's fixed, one of the fastest ways to scroll back to top is ctrl + f, space, enter (it's highly unlikely that you don't have a space in the first couple of lines)... Once you get used to it it makes the inconvinience to scroll large emails back to the top just to send them far more bearable...

there is a faster way CTRL-ENTER (thats send)
So that works for me,
But that doesnt mean that the ui is correct/ok...

The Following User Says Thank You to jcompagner For This Useful Post:
Nokia MeeGo Announcment confrence at Once Bercalona
in according to nokia the nokia n900 will be get it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SNafLSS4JQ

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajflex For This Useful Post:
if you where to listen keenly clean your hears properly you would hear what have been said same for many of you stop complaining
start with existing nokia n900 and moblin os devices that existing willl get it first laptop tv will get 2nd quarter

same kernel used in moblin and maemo 6 =meego

qt 4.6 willl make Symbian and me-ego or (maemo6) will be easier to create the same game and application
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SNafLSS4JQ
but n900 will be getting me-ego os

time fine tuned is 11:00-11:40 talk about Symbian and me-ego os and the future in terms of Nokia n900 me-ego os

q&a will n900 get the me-ego os
15:42-17:02

The Following User Says Thank You to ajflex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
I just watched that. From that conference, it's difficult to say if N900 is getting the MeeGo OS 100% or not.

But he does say that MeeGo would be the perfect platform for N900.
But that is not a definitive answer on if N900 will get the upgrade to new MeeGo platform or not.

Posts: 119 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by ajflex View Post
q&a will n900 get the me-ego os
15:42-17:02
I sincerely didn't watch it all, but besides any interpretation from the listeners, couldn't Nokia repeat then what they say in an official statement?

If Nokia already told N900 will be upgradable to Meego, there would be no warm in reafirmung that to cease all the noise from the users, and the N900 sales figures would only rise.

From my research there is no fact about getting or not Meego for N900, only speculation and assumptions. I will continue to research though, since the importance of having Meego upgrade can not be ignored with the QT app portability excuse, that's only a collateral benefit that even Symbians users will have as well.

>>From my research there is no fact about getting or not Meego for N900, only speculation and assumptions.

The silence says everything you want to know, imo - quite clear at this time there are no plans

if there were plans, then it would have been accounced with meego for additional impact, instead there was the very weak "developers can start developnig on the n900" excuse

instead the first meego device is to be LG - HAH

Tags
compatibility, future, harmattan, harmattan is for new $$$, maemo, maemo 6, n900, speculation, upgrade