Hi

I am not new to programming but I am quite new to linux. I would like to try and build my own UI like the one that Nemo uses and found that it uses lipstick. Can some one tell me how to get lipstick and its dependancy on mer and start playing around with them.

Thank you

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JamHobson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Thank you for the link but how to I build and install it along with its dependancies?

The Following User Says Thank You to JamHobson For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
I think it would be easier to get a vm build of nemo https://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Nemo/Installing and modify colorful home and themes.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by JamHobson View Post
Thank you for the link but how to
I build and install it along with its dependancies?
Dunno if lipstick runs directly on some linuxdist. But atleast your Linuxdist must have Qt5.

There probadly alot of dependies. I think you better try do it inside a merSDK/SailfishSDK:

But thats a bit tricky to learn and need patient and alot of tweeking mersdk is actually the build machine and runs best inside a Virtual machine:

https://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Pla..._on_VirtualBox

when that is setup you need to download and install an nemo rootimage inside mersdk/buildmachine and one for the actual target machine/device.

https://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Nemo/Installing

When all is up the build is done inside mersdk:

Code:
git clone https://github.com/nemomobile/lipstick.git
cd lipstick
mb2 build
This can also be done in QTCreator if that is setup correctly.

Actually I think its simpler to learn by installing http://sailfishos.org SDK and learn all stuff about mersdk build server and so on before start play with lipstick

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2013-12-01 at 11:28.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I have the exact same question. I've pulled down a Sailfish image for the Nexus 7 and installed it, pulled down the Mer SDK and (following the instructions) have built an image, and have generally exhausted all the documentation that I can find. Now, I want to play around with constructing a UI on top of Mer, and I've reached the same point: the lipstick and lipstick-home source code.

I'm just wondering, before I dive head-first into the code, is there any other documentation I am missing? It just seems to me that the existing Mer Wiki docs describe the SDK and the packaging process in quite a bit of detail, but never actually describe what Mer itself is in any detail...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
You just installed SailfishOS on your nexus 7, just installed SDK, and first thing you want to do is compile new lipstick with new UI, right?

The Following User Says Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by coderus View Post
You just installed SailfishOS on your nexus 7, just installed SDK, and first thing you want to do is compile new lipstick with new UI, right?
I installed an ancient SailfishOS image on the tablet, which was mostly broken; but it was the only version I could find for the Nexus 7. (The Plasma Active 4 image was even older, but at least it worked.) With the SDK, I can create an up-to-date armv7hl image (which, crossing my fingers, will be compatible with the Nexus 7 -- I'm still trying to work out whether I need to configure Hybris manually), but presumably lacking a UI; so, I next need to figure out how to add a minimal UI to the thing. So yes, my understanding is that Lipstick exists in the minimal Mer build, and I just need to add a Lipstick-Home package. I think.

Anyway, yeah, I'm kinda just starting from scratch, and learning how everything works.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
I installed an ancient SailfishOS image on the tablet, which was mostly broken; but it was the only version I could find for the Nexus 7. (The Plasma Active 4 image was even older, but at least it worked.) With the SDK, I can create an up-to-date armv7hl image (which, crossing my fingers, will be compatible with the Nexus 7 -- I'm still trying to work out whether I need to configure Hybris manually), but presumably lacking a UI; so, I next need to figure out how to add a minimal UI to the thing. So yes, my understanding is that Lipstick exists in the minimal Mer build, and I just need to add a Lipstick-Home package. I think.

Anyway, yeah, I'm kinda just starting from scratch, and learning how everything works.
Maybe better to run through the HADK and generate a newer SFOS base to work from.

From my understanding what you are trying to do wont really work

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by r0kk3rz View Post
Maybe better to run through the HADK and generate a newer SFOS base to work from.
Aha! Thank you, the HADK PDF looks like it has a whole lot more info than the Mer Wikis do at the moment. This'll get me up to speed more quickly.

From my understanding what you are trying to do wont really work
Well, honestly, I have no interest in actually porting SFOS to the Nexus 7. While I'm perfectly happy to purchase a Sailfish device or OS, I have no interest in helping to port a closed-source product; that's Jolla's business (literally). But, I would like to try out Mer on a device myself, to see what it can really do... So yeah, I do want to create my own UI.

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post: