Originally Posted by ed00 View Post
That's it! got today my bill just as i expected. Didnt help even after flashing . What i found out that its a cover up number from Vodaphone no matter who's sending sms text message behind it.
How do you mean "A cover up number from Vodafone"?

I've been following this for some time, but I can honestly say I'm certain I didn't get an SMS sent when I flashed my handset to PR1.2.

There's a hell of a stink kicked up about Vodafone withholding firmware updates for some obscure reason. Peeps on Vodafone handsets are still only on pre V1.1.1 of the firmware, unless they flash to PR1.2 themselves.

If this SMS is something that was instigated by Vodafone, then I would like to throw it into the equation on the Vodafone forum, ask them what the hell is it.

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Originally Posted by pelago View Post
Although people have suggested to try that, I don't think it actually works, as it's a full-screen window, not a dialogue box.
I don't know for sure, as I'm not cancelling anything during flash. I'd click ok on a box that says "You're an idiot".

It really doesn't matter, if this was ok because there WAS a cancel but not obvious and easily accesible, a dangerous precedent will be set.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Did anybody succeed in uninstalling the "cherry" package completely, such as by "apt-get purge cherry"?
I am a bit hesitant to do that as once I execute the command, apt-get tells me that many packages will no longer be required, including some libqt4 packages and even mplayer...

As well as many, who expressed their concern with this package, which was mysteriously included by Nokia, I am also a bit frustrated, to say the least. Just imagining the scamming possibilities of this package makes me shudder... There are way too many scams, like "send SMS to this number to win the prize", which empty people's accounts in a matter of seconds. And here we go - an automatic SMS sending machine...
I really hope that these Urho Konttori and Alban Crequy do understand the consequences of such mindless coding...

Posts: 162 | Thanked: 351 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Cotswolds, UK
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
I kept getting USSD messages every two seconds telling me my credit is down to £0.00 because I had no credit in the first place and CSD wants to get the message out. Deleted the one file in /var/spool/sms/outgoing and also deleted /var/spool/sms/regs_out.txt and it stopped.
Did you do this with a SIM inserted but with no credit? I wonder what would have happened with no SIM at all inserted? In that case it could not find the MNC and other information so I wonder if the process would have been deferred?

If so, it seems like a workround for reflash would be to boot with no SIM card, create .cherry_state and then reboot with the SIM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Graham Cobb For This Useful Post:
I have created a package called "notmynokia" which is in extras-devel. If you install this, it tries to protect you from the forced MyNokia registration.

You should install the package before upgrading to PR1.2. It seems to work for OTA upgrades. I have not yet tested it for re-flash but I believe it may work, as long as the eMMC is not re-flashed (unless the process removes the /home/user/.cherry_state file). Test reports are welcome!

I have attached the README file if anyone wants more information about what it is doing.

Graham
Attached Files
File Type: txt README.txt (2.9 KB, 143 views)

Last edited by Graham Cobb; 2010-06-24 at 11:13. Reason: Updated README for version 1.0-1

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Graham Cobb For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by Graham Cobb View Post
I have created a package called "notmynokia" which is in extras-devel. If you install this, it tries to protect you from the forced MyNokia registration.

You should install the package before upgrading to PR1.2. It seems to work for OTA upgrades. I have not yet tested it for re-flash but I believe it may work, as long as the eMMC is not re-flashed (unless the process removes the /home/user/.cherry_state file). Test reports are welcome!

I have attached the README file if anyone wants more information about what it is doing.

Graham
Many thanks for making this, Graham.

Regarding the ".USER_DOES_NOT_WANT_MYNOKIA" file, can you make it ".user_does_not_want_mynokia" instead? The "shouting" of upper case is a little distracting when doing an ls -a.

It would be good if your readme could reference the http://wiki.maemo.org/PR1.2_compulso...a_subscription page, and in fact some of your readme text would sit well on that page if you wanted to edit the wiki.

Do you have any ideas as to whether it is possible to programmatically clear out offending pending SMSes from /var/spool/sms/outgoing and /var/spool/sms/regs_out.txt, for the situation where people boot with a flashed eMMC and no SIM, or even, if you can get in early enough, if they boot with a SIM? I guess you would need to be careful to only target My Nokia SMSes.

Originally Posted by pelago View Post
Regarding the ".USER_DOES_NOT_WANT_MYNOKIA" file, can you make it ".user_does_not_want_mynokia" instead? The "shouting" of upper case is a little distracting when doing an ls -a.
Oh, all right :-) I was a bit annoyed with Nokia when I was creating it! There is a new version of the package (1.0-1) in extras-devel. Upgrading will remove the old file and install the new one.

Do you have any ideas as to whether it is possible to programmatically clear out offending pending SMSes from /var/spool/sms/outgoing and /var/spool/sms/regs_out.txt, for the situation where people boot with a flashed eMMC and no SIM, or even, if you can get in early enough, if they boot with a SIM? I guess you would need to be careful to only target My Nokia SMSes.
That is the problem. I haven't looked at this yet, but if we could find a reliable way to identify the MyNokia SMS I would be happy to add something to notmynokia to remove it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Graham Cobb For This Useful Post:
Thanks. Oh and something else - have you considered trying to remove the My Nokia Settings applet too?

I did consider that but I don't think I can justify that. I don't object to Nokia installing an app which allows me to register if I want to. I am not even against the My Nokia service -- it is the illegal holding to ransom of my device that I object to.

Also, some people may install this package who are already registered somehow and who need to be able to deregister.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Graham Cobb For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Graham Cobb View Post
Also, some people may install this package who are already registered somehow and who need to be able to deregister.
Good point.

Presumably if I wanted to hide the applet I could just delete the /usr/share/applications/hildon-control-panel/cpcherry.desktop file? Or would I need to delete /usr/lib/hildon-control-panel/libcpcherry.so too?