Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
That raises a (slightly off topic) question: When watching movie (say, Divx with MP3 soundtrack using Mplayer), what clock speed(s) would be optimal?

Is the movie completely decoded with DSP? Or part DSP part CPU? Is the Kernel (or Mplayer engine) smart enough to pick the best CPU/DSP speed combination for any given decoding task?

Posts: 81 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Bucuresti
Maybe someone could find a way to make 400/233 cpu/dsp

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Mara View Post
Is the movie completely decoded with DSP? Or part DSP part CPU?
AFAIK video was decoded by dsp only with 770, with N800 they left just some audio decoding on the dsp (mp3,aac,voice codecs,..) and maybe mpeg2 video. divx, flash movies, mp4 is decoded with CPU as is real audio and video.

Just run
Code:
 cat /sys/devices/platform/dsp/*/devname
to see all available dsp tasks, 770 gives you:
pcm0
pcm1
videofb
mp2dec
pcm_rec
aep
g711_enc
g711_dec
ilbc_enc
ilbc_dec
avsync
audiopp
pcm2
aacdec
amrnb
amrwb
mp3dec
mpeg4dec

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
The kernel is here http://fanoush.wz.cz/maemo/kernel-2....-dsp133.tar.gz
It has sd/mmc high speed 48MHz mode enabled, extended brightness control, crypto API enabled just like any of my kernels. In addition, with this one dsp/cpu plays audio at 133/400 instead of 220/330.
So with this kernel, are you saying that if I play audio through the DSP, the CPU is forced to run at 400Mhz whereas before it would be throttled at 330Mhz? What if I'm not using the CPU for anything intensive whilst listening to audio - will the CPU be running at 400Mhz unecessarily whereas before it would be running at 330Mhz (again, unecessarily).

If the above is correct this kernel change might result in reduced battery lifetime and a heavy music listener may be better off avoiding it.

Does the new kernel improve Flash video performance? Is the DSP used when viewing a Flash video, in which case the CPU would be throttled at 330Mhz with a stock kernel? With this new kernel Flash might have an extra 70Mhz to play with...

and N800/OS2008 gives me
pcm3
pcm_rec1
amrwb
mp2dec
mp3dec
pcm_rec
g711_enc
g711_dec
g729_enc
g729_dec
ilbc_enc
ilbc_dec
pcm1
aep
audiopp
pcm0
pcm2
aacdec
amrnb
amrnb_enc
amrnb_dec
which all seem to be audio related (not sure about mp2dec but it can be audio too)
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
So with this kernel, are you saying that if I play audio through the DSP, the CPU is forced to run at 400Mhz whereas before it would be throttled at 330Mhz?
CPU is not forced to run but when it runs then yes it runs at 400MHz (and does the job faster and goes to sleep sooner). When it run always at 100% then yes it eats more battery. But OTOH dsp runs only at 133 so even in this situation total power (cpu+dsp) may be less. If I understood the conversation in the list correctly the DSP power management is worse so having it enabled and clocked at 220 may eat more power than 330vs400 clock difference of main cpu (with better power management).

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

http://lists.maemo.org/pipermail/mae...er/013555.html
However the voltage used @330MHz is the same used @400MHz and the
associated DSP clock is actually lower, therefore it _might_ be that the
power consumption is the same or lower. If anybody has time and the means to measure it (*), it would certainly be interesting to do a comparison.

Last edited by fanoush; 2008-01-08 at 19:59.

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Does the new kernel improve Flash video performance?
No, Flash playback should not use dsp (except uncompressed audio mixing) and cpu shoulds run at 400MHz already. But it may improve mp4/xvid/divx videos with mp3/aac audio track in default media player and also Microb may feel faster when you play mp3 on background.

The Following User Says Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
Posts: 81 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Bucuresti
how to install this kernel?

Originally Posted by DeeJay_XB View Post
how to install this kernel?
http://www.internettablettalk.com/wi..._to_a_computer
or use Nokia linux flasher over USB
Code:
flasher-3.0 -k zImage -f -R

Posts: 229 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Sacramento, California
Fanoush, hey, now seven months later does your kernal still work in Diablo OS2008 or will I be messing something up?

Or, preferably, is there an overclockable kernal where you can specify, through a script, the governors speed even past 400MHz. Maybe 433, 466 or whatever the multiples are? Of course, setting the DSP on its own as well.

I have overclocked almost everything I have owned and am not afraid of doing such. I've even unsoldered canister crystals (the actual frequency generator) just to place in faster ones and overclock on a hardware level. I'm very aware of the problems that can occur and lower battery life performance in most cases.