Posts: 44 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Internet_Cafe_W3
I'm giving Nokia till dec 14th, if no 770 then I'm buying an OQO just because I'm getting upset!

The OQO is quite expensive Chuck! You can get three to four 770's for its price!

that's true, it's the only thing that I have seen that draws my interest in what I want to do. competitor wise.

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ It's dark in here. I hear laughing.
I have an OQO -- it's an OK device. Pro: it's small with multiple forms of input (pen, keyboard, nub-mouse...). It's relatively quick with nice big 30 GB of disk. Con: display slides too easily, pen drops out easily (lost one already), it's expensive, and docking is really stupid. Oh...and it's WINDOWS -- which means a lot when you compare to Linux. It's also a lot heavier and it gets quite hot when you let it run for a while.

It comes with no handwriting recognition software; good SW is from EverNote (evernote.com).

-F

Thanx for the remarks!

question

Can the OQO model 01 run Linux?

answer

The OQO model 01 is a standard x86 PC and can run Linux. However, you will have to install and support it on your own.

OQO does not currently have any plans to offer a Linux-based product, nor does it provide technical support for a model 01 running Linux.

However, OQO is actively contributing to the Linux-on-OQO, specifically, we have provided some Ubuntu packages. Check out the following links for more details:

Information: ftp://ftp.oqo.com/unsupported/linux/OQOLinux.html
Files and prebuilt kernel packages: ftp://ftp.oqo.com/unsupported/linux

Additional links:

One reviewer has installed Linux, and you might find his writeup (10/13/04) helpful: http://www.handtops.com/show/news/55
Another handtops.com poster has published a through "tutorial" of a Linux install: http://www.handtops.com/forum/752/0/...figurati.html#
Find a Linux enthusiast email discussion list for your Linux flavor, and see if anyone's working on porting OQO drivers. We currently haven't heard of anyone doing this, but would love to hear from anyone working on OQO linux projects; we'd be happy to list your URL here.

The Following User Says Thank You to ChuckP For This Useful Post: