I just got my N800 late yesterday afternoon. And of course after getting, quite plainlessly I might add, updated to OS08, installing FBReader and a couple other must have's, I had to begin getting into the OS. I have not managed a Unix-like system since the early '90s so I really can't remember much of the OS. I do however retain some info and also that at the command line in these OS's to recheck my spelling because for command all one needs to do is think of the task you want to do and then the most cryptic abreviation for that command/function and it will either to that or most certainly do SOMETHING else...hehehehehe...come-on it's FUNNY.

Anyway, I tried a few functions as root using

sudo {command}

When prompted for the password I researched and found it is supposed to be rootme. No go at all. And mind that this is a brand new device purchased directly from Amazon two days ago.

So my question is...has Nokia changed the default password? I cannot imagine they have but I simply do not kow what is wrong.

And I am aware the OS is, shudder, case sensitive. Plus as far as I know I never did anything to change the passoword. I didn't have the default anyway.

If they have not changed it, would reflashing potentially address the issue? I mean, I don't have much installed and it might be easier than sleuthing out the issue.

But when I look a directory listing of /etc directory I see the password file WAS changed Feb 12, yesterday @ 9:02 but not sure if that was AM or PM. the time doesn't matter as I might not have had it set properly anyway. But the day concerns me that I might have accidently changed it thinking I was baing asked to enter THE password not enter A password.

I figured I could just edit the file, deleting the encrypted password for root. But now I cannot edit and and save changes. Heck i cannot even make a backup of the file I assume that is because as "user" I do not have modify rights to that directory. Yes? No? But I was able to make a backup to /home/user/bak/passwd.bak so I do now had a backup.

OK, now how do I modify that file? Again will reflashing or reinstalling OS2008 be easier?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Install becomeroot.

Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
Anyway, I tried a few functions as root using

sudo {command}

When prompted for the password I researched and found it is supposed to be rootme.
First, "sudo" does not ask for root password, it asks for user password. Second, user is not in sudoers so you cannot get root permission that easy.

Do what the General says or install openssh if you want to be able to "ssh root@n810" from a desktop.

ahhh...will do..thank Mr General Sir!!

winkwink!!

BTW, I now see WHY a keyboard is a MUST have...we have full OS command line access and there is a LOT of typing involved.

Originally Posted by jussik View Post
First, "sudo" does not ask for root password, it asks for user password. Second, user is not in sudoers so you cannot get root permission that easy.

Do what the General says or install openssh if you want to be able to "ssh root@n810" from a desktop.
actually, yes it will ask for a password for when used with a command. Try it...

even something as simple as:

sudo ls

will ask for the password. From my understanding that is how you can run commands w/o actually become an SU or root. I am assuming the origin in "super user do"

The Following User Says Thank You to brecklundin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
actually, yes it will ask for a password for when used with a command.
Like I said it will ask for user password. Knowing the root password doesn't help. IIRC the user password is not even set on ITOSes by default.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I don't find a keyboard to be essential. I have a bt keyboard and usually don't bother with it. There is only a lot of typing involved if you choose to do a lot of typing on your N8xx.