I didn't find the character '|', you know, This is a Linux system. How can I live without '|' ?

Thanks!

You don't say which keyboard, but I'm assuming the physical keyboard, as the onscreen ones both have it.

Fortunately, (one) answer is the same for any of them. Use ukeyboard, and design your own layout. You can also do xmodmap, same as any system (but this is reset whenever you connect a bluetooth keyboard), and I think also edit some system files with keyboard defs. Not sure which ones, though, as I only have N800s, but hopefully this is enough detail to suggest some search terms. I know it's in these fora (search on pipe maybe), and probably also in either the deprecated itT wiki or the maemo.org wiki.

Posts: 157 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Oxford, UK
Assuming you are talking about xterm: Menu/Tools/Settings... Press Toolbar shortcut, press New, enter something like Pipe or Bar as title and bar in the value field. Press Ok/Close/Ok and now you have a toolbar button for the character you wanted.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Duncan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Press the Chr button and you'll be able to scroll down on the right (one time down). Now, select the |.

(The pipe is important in UNIX-land, it should be more prominent.)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
i guess nokia expected the knowledgeable users to find their own solutions, while making sure that it would be easy for everyone else to update their facebook profile

Originally Posted by tso View Post
i guess nokia expected the knowledgeable users to find their own solutions, while making sure that it would be easy for everyone else to update their facebook profile
|\|00[3, ! |\|33[) 73h p!P3Z0|¬z +0 /\/\4}<3 f4(e[300x t3H 133720|¬54V(3!!!!11!!!one!!eleven!!!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
/usr/share/keyboards/en_US.vkb (or whatever localization) can be hex-edited. On mine + is on the unshifted keyboard making entering negative numbers annoying.

There is a perl script that can turn it into editable XML, but if you can find that, hexedit should not be any worse.

/usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/nokia_vndr/rx-44 (the name may vary, but this is also on the rx-48) is a text file with the regular, shifted, and function keys.

I tend to replace the currency symbols with something more useful, e.g. yen (since I think the sharp zaurus yen gave the bar).

Mine has a line reading:

key <AB01> { [ z, Z, bar, bar ] }; (with tabs and spaces condensed).

I also have a bug filed for the virtual keyboard (vote for it if you have the problem)

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3976

Since the rx-44 file is editable (and there are threads about it) I haven't filed bug reports, but have escape, tab, brackets, braces, bar, and other characters replacing things including where function and shift map originally to the same thing. It is by localization so mine is in the US English section.

Yen is | (bar)
euro/pound are brackets.
Function-greater/less are braces.
- _ adds escape
+ = adds tab
' ? adds grave (`)
(I may swap the escape and tab, though they are on the bottom - you can do these in the Xterm bottom pickbar, but other apps or dialogs don't have that, for example osso-statusbar-cpu to run commands with pipes)

The Following User Says Thank You to tz1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
|\|00[3, ! |\|33[) 73h p!P3Z0|¬z +0 /\/\4}<3 f4(e[300x t3H 133720|¬54V(3!!!!11!!!one!!eleven!!!
not sure whats worse, that you took the time to write it, or that im able to read it...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
oh, thanks all you guys.
I think it's time to uninstall the scim. It disabled the onscreen keyboard. and feature of locking Fn/Shift, also the Chr doesn't work with it.

Thanks again!

2TZ-1 i have replaced the yen with {[z,Z,Tab,Tab]} but the tab only works somtimes in the browser and not at all in exterm. any sugestions?