Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by fpp View Post
Hmm... how, where? ... :-)
Me too... I haven't received update notification yet.

Any of the lucky ones care to comment on ICS experience on Note.

How is responsiveness, memory usage, task management, premium suite and so forth...

EDIT: Ahh! I need to use Kies. At last! Downloading now...

Last edited by mscion; 2012-05-11 at 16:48.

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Originally Posted by Cue View Post
I remember there being one for Chinese but I don't think there was any for other languages.
I got lost in the posts... I was trying to ask if there is a way to add sketchy notes on the N900 desktop like you can on the note.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

I just realized that using the pen from a wacom tablet instead of the included stylus is much more convenient and the eraser on the back of the pen works out of the box. Nice touch.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
I got lost in the posts... I was trying to ask if there is a way to add sketchy notes on the N900 desktop like you can on the note.
Not that I know of.

after upgrading to ics, fennec became unusable. The beta had the same behavior. So l tried aurora with the native Android Gui and it is perfect. Fast & smooth. this, along with Microb confirms that gecko with a native interface flies. Or in other words that xul runner is to blame for firefox's slowness. I wish we had a Qml UI for the N9 fennec and a newer gecko for microb.

another thing I noticed after upgrading to ics is that there is no more flicker when the backlight changes brightness

The Following User Says Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
I just realized that using the pen from a wacom tablet instead of the included stylus is much more convenient and the eraser on the back of the pen works out of the box. Nice touch.
Thanks for the tip (no pun intended!) I tried the stylus from my X220t thinkpad (it has wacom) and it is much more responsive than the one that came with the Note.

Not sure if I have a problem but during the kies update to ICS three things were supposed to load. The S Note update, the new firmware (ics) and some new drivers. For some reason the new drivers failed to load (according to error message). Anyone know what these drivers are about? They do not show up when I connect to kies any longer so I don't know if they eventually were loaded.

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
do write the Review Guy's Before/After ICS

aspects like
SPEED, UI, STYLUS, AVAILABLE RAM, APPS BEHAVIOR, GAMING, CAMERA, VIDEO PLAYBACK, YOUTUBE, BENCHMARKS, YOUR EXPERIENCE
&
ARE YOU MISSING ANYTHING FROM GINGERBREAD,

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to immi.shk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Wait for some days before installing the LPY firmware (only stock ics so far). It has been said it could have a bug in the kernel which might brick your device.
Source:http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1648362

Me, I've already updated and before I knew of this issue, I had engaged in at-risk behaviours like wiping from recovery console, reinstalling a nandroid backup with potentially dangerous kernel, and finally installing again ics. I had no problem, but go figure, I might have been just lucky.

Concerning performance, after upgrading to stock ics: you can feel the accellerated graphics, and this is the most evident change. Apart from look and feel that's changed, we have the S-Note app which is a S-Memo on steroids (but inexplicably without being able to show a document as a widget on the desktop screen), and all the remaining things work well.

I've yet to test USB guest connectivity. ICS should have made it more difficult to start in linux, but there are references which could help, like http://www.androidcentral.com/ics-fe...and-how-set-it

Last edited by debernardis; 2012-05-12 at 07:46.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
I played around with a Note on stock 2.3.6 firmware earlier.
It's remarkably thin, and for someone with ham hands it's quite nice (software keyboards still feel uncomfortable for me, but I haven't hit the wrong key on it because they're so damn big.)
For those asking if the Galaxy Note is laggy with Touchwiz, no, it's not. The transitions feel artificially sped up, yes, but there is virtually no lag at all.

One gripe I do have about it are the tiny, tiny mono speakers. They're about the same size as the ones on the SGSII, and the training video preloaded on it, played at maximum volume sounded tinny.
(Oh, and the tip of the pen doesn't feel right, for some reason.)

It's nice, and I think I'll be waiting for the Note 2.

Last edited by Hurrian; 2012-05-13 at 12:34.

Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
One gripe I do have about it are the tiny, tiny mono speakers ... played at maximum volume sounded tinny.
(Oh, and the tip of the pen doesn't feel right, for some reason.)
We've all been spoiled by the N900 speakers.

With the Note, you can get a worthwhile improvement in sound quality (and volume) by leaving a gap of 1cm between the back of the phone and the surface behind it. Rest the Note on a matchbox or something.

Tags
android, galaxy note