Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Micha1982 View Post
can you imagine how hard it is for people who are not here every day to find the information they're looking for?
I do not need to imagine anything. I have been here for three years and I still find it hard to find anything in the Wiki. The main reason is that the Wiki search, in its infinite wisdom, decides to include results from the discussion forum as well. You can imagine that those results outnumber the Wiki results by a factor of at least 100.

That being said, using the search in the forum is dead easy. The OP had a problem with "catalogs". So I typed "nokia catalogs" in the search field in the top right corner of the screen and got 139 results. The first 5 would get me to something useful. Then I repeated the search, this time spelled properly ("nokia catalogues") and got 149 results, with the very first one being the right one.

It all took no more than two minutes, including typing this post. The search itself took about 5 seconds.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
this time spelled properly ("nokia catalogues")
Oh, you silly Brits. We've improved so many English words here on this side of the Atlantic, yet you guys insist on sticking with the old spelling...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Jun 2015 @ United States of America
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Well, yes, there are alternatives to Joikuspot. In particular, mobilehotspot / qtmobilehotspot. However, these are not quite "fire and forget" apps; they require a bit more setup and maintenance than Joikuspot does. But yeah, they may be the only options available at this time...
I found Mobile Hotspot with the Faster Application Manager version 0.7.1 after I had figured out how to get it load in extra repositories. I did it the hard way by typing the information for the repos and trying to load them, but that's another story. Anyway, I installed version 0.3.5 of Mobile HotSpot showing Eero of Heurlin as the maintainter. It seems to work although slowly as a WLAN. Both pages show the last updates in 2010 and list a place to be a maintainer. Since I'm taking night school courses in software developer, how do I find the SDK and software? In using Mobile Hotspot it doesn't seem to work well with a USB connection to my laptop. I guess Nokia PC Suite interferes with it. As for Joikuspot, I did leave a note on the Joiku Facebook page. I have yet to get a response. I can probably learn to update the Mobile Hotspot and/or QT Mobile program by the time anybody notices my message.

Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Well, yes, there are alternatives to Joikuspot. In particular, mobilehotspot / qtmobilehotspot. However, these are not quite "fire and forget" apps; they require a bit more setup and maintenance than Joikuspot does. But yeah, they may be the only options available at this time...
What SDK or computer is used? I know about Qt which is based on C++. Where can I find the source code if it is available?

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by sarek3 View Post
It seems to work although slowly as a WLAN. Both pages show the last updates in 2010 and list a place to be a maintainer.
Yes, it's been a while since that code has been under active development. My understanding is that the move to Qt Mobile Hotspot happened around the same time Nokia was switching everything over to the Qt system, so Qt Mobile Hotspot should be the more up-to-date package (as peterleinchen mentioned).

What SDK or computer is used? I know about Qt which is based on C++.
I am unsure what SDK was used by the original developers of this product; but in general, whenever you attempt to work on a large codebase created by someone else, I think you'll find that some adaptation to your local environment will be required. But luckily, several SDKs are still around! You can, for example, still find the Qt SDKs supporting Maemo at this site:

ftp://ftp.informatik.hu-berlin.de/pu...l.no/QT/qtsdk/

The best version to choose is 1.1.1, as that was the last version to include the full Maemo toolchain in the installer. There are versions of the SDK for Linux, Mac, and Windows operating systems; also, there are "online" and "offline" versions, but the "online" versions no longer work (as Nokia's servers are gone now). So, for example, if you want the Windows version of the SDK, the file to download would be:

Qt_SDK_Win_offline_v1_1_1_en.exe

An even easier solution (although I haven't yet downloaded a copy myself, shame on me) could be to try out the new live CD containing SDKs for a wide range of Nokia devices (including the N900), created by TMO member endsormeans. You can find info about it in this thread:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1472078

Where can I find the source code if it is available?
Luckily, the source code for everything in the Extras repository is available. If you navigate to the page describing a particular instance of a package, such as version 0.3.5 of Qt Mobile Hotspot:

http://maemo.org/packages/package_in...hotspot/0.3.5/

you will find a variety of links including one labeled "Source:". From that link, you'll reach another page:

http://maemo.org/packages/source/vie...hotspot/0.3.5/

which contains more links, including a link to the ".tar.gz" archive containing the actual source code.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Like Freeman, I could also use help. I have been trying to find package wireless-tools and also would like to find Joikuspot for the Nokia N900. I hope that I have found the right spot to ask!

I went to the Opera Store and bought Joikuspot Premium. Unfortunatelly that does not run on the Nokia N900. Oh well, I guess they can use the money!

Thanks for any help!
I managed to get Mobile Hotspt working before I downloaded something from the catalogs that stopped it. It seems that the power is stopped or something. What should I remove that conflicts with it? Thanks for any clues. When I re-installed it, it no longer gives me a choice between WLAN and USB.

If you would like to surf cableless a better and much more secure way is bluetooth. You need a Computer with bluetooth function and "Nokia PC Suite". On the N900 has to be installed the app "bluetooth-dun".

I managed to get Mobile Hotspt working before I downloaded something from the catalogs that stopped it. It seems that the power is stopped or something. What should I remove that conflicts with it? Thanks for any clues. When I re-installed it, it no longer gives me a choice between WLAN and USB.
1. Uninstall "Mobile Hotspot" and install "QT Mobile Hotspot".
2. Do not activate "Devel"-repositorys in generell. Activate them only for manually installations like "QT Mobile Hotspot". After that deactivate them.

The Following User Says Thank You to Acurus_ For This Useful Post:
I went to the Opera Store and bought Joikuspot Premium. Unfortunatelly that does not run on the Nokia N900. Oh well, I guess they can use the money!

Thanks for any help!
They still sell Joiku? I used it some years ago. The N900 was getting enormously hot. To hot. "QT Mobile Hotsopt" is the better choice.

The Following User Says Thank You to Acurus_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Opera store is selling only for Nokia Symbian devices, not anymore for Maemo/MeeGo.
So probably he bought the Symbian variant.

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Tags
maemo 5, repositories