Notices

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
Ah, tested it now myself and it seems that the Conky Layout Switcher is after updating Conky not longer able to foist Conky a different config file.

I guess the simplest solution for this is to uninstall ConkyLayoutSwitcher using the application switcher and reinstall it again. After this its working again.

Please DONATE if you like my work!
It's the best way to motivate me to create more stuff for your Device.

The Following User Says Thank You to helex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
Sorry, I didn't break it on purpose! I thought layout switcher and most users would be messing with the .conf file in MyDocs or whatever the secondary location is. Updating Conky shouldn't really touch that.

The Following User Says Thank You to Creamy Goodness For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by helex View Post
I guess the simplest solution for this is to uninstall ConkyLayoutSwitcher using the application switcher and reinstall it again. After this its working again.
But with this suggest conky will be downgraded to Version 1.9.6 version, as you told in the first post. Am I right?

Originally Posted by Creamy Goodness View Post
Sorry, I didn't break it on purpose! I thought layout switcher and most users would be messing with the .conf file in MyDocs or whatever the secondary location is. Updating Conky shouldn't really touch that.
No problem. My fault! My app does a chmod during the installation regarding /usr/bin/conky.sh from your package. This way I'm able to enable and disable ConkyLayoutSwitcher as user without breaking any kind of user created config files.
But it reverts this changes when conky gets updated. Hmm... not ideal.

Originally Posted by Dvd25 View Post
But with this suggest conky will be downgraded to Version 1.9.6 version, as you told in the first post. Am I right?
No it gets the newest package from the currently activated repository. If you install ConkyLayoutSwitcher from extra-devel you will get conky from extra-devel too if it is not already installed on your device. But yes, it will be newer than 1.9.6.

The Following User Says Thank You to helex For This Useful Post:
Can you add a layout option for this one?
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=119
I don't want to make it the default in Conky because it is a bit slow, but it's still pretty awesome. When I have some time I'll see if we can get Conky to reload the .conf file when we swap it out without restarting it or anything.

The Following User Says Thank You to Creamy Goodness For This Useful Post:
Can you add a layout option for this one?
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=119
I don't want to make it the default in Conky because it is a bit slow, but it's still pretty awesome.
No, sorry. I can't.
This is not the way ConkyLayoutSwitcher works. It doesn't "switch" the config file. It's a single, big and heavy file that checks what to show depending of my code. And I would say this config wouldn't fit in the concept.

When I have some time I'll see if we can get Conky to reload the .conf file when we swap it out without restarting it or anything.
Yes, because of this fact I needed a different solution.
If you trying to make this possible, don't forget to keep the diagramm data from the old config for the new layout.
And my work ended very often with a screwed up Conky process because I replaced the config with a new one while Conky was running. Only a kill -9 avoided a battery drain within 4 hours in such a case.

I thought after the last weeks often about writing my own Conky without the possibility for user created config files but on the other hand with a proper maemo/MeeGo styled UI... with scrollbars and options.
But I'm not sure if this is all the effort worth...

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
I love your Switcher UI, but have a problem.

I use Conky 1.6.1, since I like the layout when used as a live wallpaper. Its default settings also refresh properly as a wallpaper. But installing your app brings a new .conf file and Conly version that has different colors and doesn't refresh properly as a wallpaper.

Once you launch Conky using the Switcher, it downgrades my live wallpaper to this new look, which isn't my preferred layout or colors. It also doesn't refresh at a rate I like for a wallpaper.

I have an idea. Why not have this app actually read a different .conf file based on what we need? My live wallpaper is perfect, so I don't want whatever .conf file it reads from v1.6.1 change, but I'd like a few custom views/layouts for specific use cases. Say a process view, a faster refreshing CPU/RAM view, a storage view, and a network monitor view OF MY CHOICE.

Is there currently a way I could keep my old 1.6.1 layout for the main Conky button in Switcher, and use other .conf layouts for CPU, Network, Disk, and Process views.

Also, why can't Conky have cool analog looking gauges like a car's instrument cluster? Like a cool HUD for our N900.

The Following User Says Thank You to christexaport For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
I love your Switcher UI, but have a problem.

I use Conky 1.6.1, since I like the layout when used as a live wallpaper. Its default settings also refresh properly as a wallpaper. But installing your app brings a new .conf file and Conly version that has different colors and doesn't refresh properly as a wallpaper.

Once you launch Conky using the Switcher, it downgrades my live wallpaper to this new look, which isn't my preferred layout or colors. It also doesn't refresh at a rate I like for a wallpaper.

I have an idea. Why not have this app actually read a different .conf file based on what we need? My live wallpaper is perfect, so I don't want whatever .conf file it reads from v1.6.1 change, but I'd like a few custom views/layouts for specific use cases. Say a process view, a faster refreshing CPU/RAM view, a storage view, and a network monitor view OF MY CHOICE.

Is there currently a way I could keep my old 1.6.1 layout for the main Conky button in Switcher, and use other .conf layouts for CPU, Network, Disk, and Process views.

Also, why can't Conky have cool analog looking gauges like a car's instrument cluster? Like a cool HUD for our N900.
You can make analog guages with lua and cairo, we won't stop you! It would be hard as hell though.

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
I can't code a bit. Just wondering why Conky has to look like a TRS-80 app. Would be nicer if it looked more modern. Maybe a new Conky is overdue? Or Monky, Maemo/MeeGo's answer made with Qt? I'd go ape (no pun intended) for Monky...