Poll: What to accept as replacement for N900 under warranty?
Poll Options
What to accept as replacement for N900 under warranty?

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Lumia 800 is sold new in crashed prices. Here in Greece even less than the E7. I'd get the E7. It's a fine piece of equipment, with an awesome keyboard, rgb amoled and usb otg. The only drawback is the EDoF.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following User Says Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 116 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Chennai, India
Originally Posted by ranbaxy View Post
Do you think they'll give you an N950?
Not even If I learn to develop for it something now :P

The Following User Says Thank You to manojkumaru For This Useful Post:
Posts: 12 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ South Africa
Never used an N900 so not sure if its there but I usually use the 'Phone Switch' feature to transfer my contacts, messages, etc. to and from my phones.

The Following User Says Thank You to discordia For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Quick reply...
What about inductively charging your N900?
World's first inductively-charged N900!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by manojkumaru View Post
I would buy thedeadman's idea But I think it will come with almost no warranty(just 13 days remaining).

Gerbick, what could be a proper replacement? N950 with 64GB memory?
They've announced the 820 and 920, whereas the Lumia 800 is a dead-end that cannot be upgraded past 7.8, whereas WP8 is the newest release. To me, that's rather crappy on their end to give out something that's yet another "dead-end".

A proper replacement? Another N900. As time passes, perhaps my memory of it is getting more fond; however it's definitely one of a kind.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 116 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Chennai, India
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
Lumia 800 is sold new in crashed prices. Here in Greece even less than the E7. I'd get the E7. It's a fine piece of equipment, with an awesome keyboard, rgb amoled and usb otg. The only drawback is the EDoF.
Okay, a quick question. What wins? Windows 7.8 or Symbian belle?

Posts: 1,161 | Thanked: 1,707 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Denmark
When the N9 was just released in Denmark I had an issue with my N900's jack stick or so I thought as it turned out to be the headset. The point is i talked to Nokia Denmark about a possible replacement and first it sounded like I could get a N9 if they couldn't fix my N900 (talked with Nokia before I found out it was the headset, only had other mobile headsets wich didn't work with the N900. It was when i hooked it up to a friends external speaker with the jack stick I found out, I only used the FM transmitter at home to listen to music), but the Nokia guy kind of laughed when I asked directly about the N9 being a replacement and he answered it was a brand new smartphone, so no and it would be something else but he didn't know what.
So I don't think they're gonna give a not yet released smartphone as a replacement for the aging N900, would be cool though (if you want a L920/820).
Another thing wich phone out there can really replace a N900. I meen there truly ain't no phone out there that can do the same as the N900 (here I'm talking the whole easy debian shabang, mypaint and what not, not the usual mobile story, rooting, ssh, OC'ing etc.)
So if you're lookong for the same experience you're pretty much f****d, unless you take what ever will give you the best resell price and go for another phone wich suites your needs best or go for a refurbished/used N900 if you're still hooked on it.

Dousan...

My Søciety6:
http://society6.com/Dousan

Last edited by Dousan; 2012-11-01 at 09:29.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dousan For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by manojkumaru View Post
Okay, a quick question. What
wins? Windows 7.8 or Symbian belle?
General Speed+Fluidity: Win 7.5 (7.8 isn't released so I won't be able to tell)

FM transmitter: Belle

Camera: WP

Display: E7 is a 4" panel with a 640x360 res while 800 is a 3.7" panel with 800x480 res however E7 is pure RGB compared to the pentile on the 800 (you choose who wins; although if you ask me my n9 display is something I like more so the 800 is IMO nicer to look at)

Apps: You see what you want from both the stores (WP has more but maybe in India Belle has more local apps)

Storage: Same

Keyboard: E7 has a hardware keyboard after all

Size+Weight: related to your keyboard preference

Overall, WP7.8 is as dead as Belle with the caveat that the 800 has a faster processor more RAM so on pure UX maybe the WP is better than Belle Refresh on the E7

Why not head down to a Nokia store try both? Try the 808 in place of the E7 but do remember you are going to get a slower 808 in the E7...Also if you don't intend to keep either might as well confirm the resale price at your place and maybe even agree to a deal to sell first so that you get the most bang for your buck...

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 896 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Greece, Athens
Between the E7 and the L800, I'd definitely go for the E7.
Better build quality, more features and of course ... a qwerty keyboard!

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 891 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Royaume Uni.
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
both e7&800 are not worthy replacements...

My suggestion would be take the 800 as its a more fluid experience than the 680Mhz of the E7...

If i was you i would take the 800 sell it and buy myself a n9 as 800 has a higher resale value than the e7...
They've recently slashed the cost of Lumia 800's and in Europe they can now be picked up for €200, which is actually a little less than an E7. My daily phone is an E7 and ironically, my wife is using a Lumia 800. She's only interested in Facebook and Whatsapp, so the Lumia is ok for her. For me though, it's useless. Battery life is woeful, the 800 doesn't mount as a mass storage device, you can't even set your own ringtones, you have to use Zune to transfer music to the device, multitasking is terrible, the OS is now as obsolete as Symbian, the list goes on.

I would take the E7 over the Lumia 800, but to be honest, neither device is good enough in today's market. Consider selling the E7 and waiting to see what Jolla bring out, or just use the proceeds to buy a Nexus 4.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NokiaFanatic For This Useful Post: