Originally Posted by drizek View Post
Here is what you need for usbaudio. Can someone with a dev environment check to see if these options are compiled in the kernel?
drizek: All this is not only beyond my competence to effect or check, but beyond my competence to even fully understand -- although I have some familiarity and experience in working within the Linux file system. Let's just hope that there's someone out there who can walk us specifically through what has to be done, or tell us if it's even possible to do within N800 limitations. Thanks again.

Basically it boils down to whether a checkbox for "usbaudio" is ticked in the kernel configuration page. If yes, it means it will most likely work. If not, then we need to compile a module for it. Thats a bit complicated, but it is something I can figure out.

Originally Posted by ascherjim View Post
Hey, you guys. By chance I'm going to a Head-Fi Forum meet in Seattle this week-end where I expect a lot of the members will be showing up (and showing off) their USB/DAC portable amplifiers. I plan to bring my Nokia N800 with me in the hopes I can try it out with some of these portable amps and get some expert advice on how to make it work. Will report back if there's any positive results.
ascherjim,

If you get a chance checkout this thread on otg usb adapter for n8xx.

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...t=15111&page=7

I just put in a request to modify script for usb audio hopefully it can be done. We have usb host, ethernet and mouse working beautifully on n8xx. You guys should pick one up from Jolouis who custom makes the otg adapters for us n8xx users on this forum. Dan

Originally Posted by dan View Post
ascherjim,

If you get a chance checkout this thread on otg usb adapter for n8xx.

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...t=15111&page=7

I just put in a request to modify script for usb audio hopefully it can be done. We have usb host, ethernet and mouse working beautifully on n8xx. You guys should pick one up from Jolouis who custom makes the otg adapters for us n8xx users on this forum. Dan
Dan: Thanks. I've checked it out. Good to see these parallel threads proceeding apace. Maybe there'll soon be some light at the end of the tunnel in this matter.

Originally Posted by ascherjim View Post
drizek: All this is not only beyond my competence to effect or check, but beyond my competence to even fully understand -- although I have some familiarity and experience in working within the Linux file system. Let's just hope that there's someone out there who can walk us specifically through what has to be done, or tell us if it's even possible to do within N800 limitations. Thanks again.
Well, gang, I attended the Head-Fi meet today in Seattle. While I found the people there great, and the experience both interesting and educational for me, I had no luck regarding the USB audio use of the N800. The focus of the meet, obviously, was on discussion and demonstration of headphone audio equipment, with such equipment ranging from quite sizable and costly high-end stuff to a smattering of portable headphone dacs and amplifiers. And while I tried out a number of the latter -- there wasn't a single one whose audio input was USB based. So I couldn't try out my N800 in USB Host mode -- and no one there seemed very Linux knowledgeable. So, at least for me, I/we are back to square one. Sorry.

If anyone here is considering buying a bithead, how about emailing the people at headphone.com and asking if they can send one to see if it works with the n800? The people there are very nice and I would expect that they will agree to do it.

I would try it with the iBasso D2, but I am not sure if I want to buy one right now because it is a lot of money.

Also, if someone has 30 bucks they don't know what to do with, you can buy an Alien USB DAC. The Alien is actually very good, but you have to solder all the bits together yourself.

Last edited by drizek; 2008-03-22 at 22:40.

If anyone here is considering buying a bithead, how about emailing the people at headphone.com and asking if they can send one to see if it works with the n800? The people there are very nice and I would expect that they will agree to do it.

I would try it with the iBasso D2, but I am not sure if I want to buy one right now because it is a lot of money.

Also, if someone has 30 bucks they don't know what to do with, you can buy an Alien USB DAC. The Alien is actually very good, but you have to solder all the bits together yourself.
Someone might want to check this web site item for a relatively inexpensive "test" tool to experiment with on the N800 in USB Host mode. http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/micro/home.aspx

I had one of those, but it didn't work very well with linux on my laptop, so it probably won't do too well on the n800 either. Also, I think we want something with a built in battery because the usb host doesn't provide the full .5amps of power.

Oh, and I just remembered that the Alien is USB powered unless you build your own power supply for it. You would need a hub/battery pack to use it with the n800.

Last edited by drizek; 2008-03-23 at 18:56.

I had one of those, but it didn't work very well with linux on my laptop, so it probably won't do too well on the n800 either. Also, I think we want something with a built in battery because the usb host doesn't provide the full .5amps of power.
Oh, well. It was a thought. Thanks for setting me/us straight.

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
So I finally got a chance to test things last night in regards to USB audio. First off, with my particular device I needed a USB powered Hub, but I'd kind of figured that since the card I was using had a built in FM transmitter that I imagine draws a fair amount of juice (it goes up to like 200 feet sort of thing, so). Secondly, the stock kernel does not have the usb-audio module compiled into it, so that needs to be compiled and loaded up; shouldn't be too difficult to do, I'll see what I can pull together in the next few days if nobody else has one pre-compiled and lying around (anyone ask Fanoush about this? He seems to have all of the kernel modules under the sun lying around somewhere...). The most unusual part though... without the usb-audio kernel module loaded, the kernel seems to think my device is a HID and tries to attach it to an input event! I really hope that the USB audio module will override this behaviour as I've never seen it on any other kernel before!

-Rob