Originally Posted by panjgoori View Post
gartner released stat for 2011. the most interesting part which i love to read is the declining of WP. it has been declined 65% since 2010. and now at only 1.9% market share. even bada has more market share than WP 2%.
here is quota from the article:

and the LINK FOR ARTICLE
i know, i know, market shares & % are always a tricky thing...
from 3.4 to 1.9 % market shares (a decline in 1.5 percentage points) amounts to a decrease of 44.11 %.
still ppl claiming m@ke$$h!t LostDOS Paralyzed ( ) is a success can't even be called fanboys anymore... bigots, @ best

Vote here for N9 http://www.engadget.com/2011awards/ . Don't let lumia to gather 1% :-)

Originally Posted by elemental View Post
Vote here for N9 http://www.engadget.com/2011awards/ . Don't let lumia to gather 1% :-)
Sorry, I don't visit engadget anymore but may the best phone win.

If you are wondering why i pledge to not visit that cesspool. As you might have known with my previous posts here I didn't like the place that much already but after commenting on a correction to an article and criticizing the use of unnecessary quotes with courtesy, I was met with a post by Richard Lawler (an Mod/Editor there) along the lines of telling me to learn to read. I posted an example of why quotes are not required because the sentence is paraphrased with only two words which were not out of the ordinary.

He must have taken that badly once people upvoted me and I was banned from commenting. All the while people insult each other and their mothers scott-free. While doing so he posted this ironic little nugget:

"Anyone who actually who understands language knows why there's quotation marks there, you can take your English professor act on the road."

Yeah, sorry about that rant but the mods there are useless and don't take criticism well. Not visiting there at all anymore.

Last edited by Cue; 2012-02-17 at 15:44.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by elemental View Post
What? It's not even listed under 'Worst Gadget of 2011'? I certainly wasn't going to vote for it as 'Smartphone of 2011' when I'm repeatedly told that Maemo devices aren't cellphones, they're computers. Right? Besides all that, this is a ridiculously flawed poll that barely makes any sense on so many levels as to make it a joke to begin with.

Originally Posted by Cue View Post
If you are wondering why i pledge to not visit that cesspool... <snip>
"Anyone who actually who understands language knows why there's quotation marks there, you can take your English professor act on the road."

Yeah, sorry about that rant but the mods there are useless and don't take criticism well. Not visiting there at all anymore.
When someone's job is on the line because you corrected them publicly, they get snarly and nasty. You may have been right, but you should probably have emailed him directly to point that out instead, if you wanted him to not have such a reaction. To that end, however, he would do well to consult an English professor and, from the sound of it, a communication and journalism professor so that these types of incidents do not continue to threaten his career. I cannot overstate how important consistent, clear and correct communication can be, especially when your job is journalism.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
and the war begin,

Originally Posted by ibrakalifa View Post
and the war begin,
"The" war? Which one? Near as I can tell, there's several "wars" going on, all of which Nokia & uberfans appear to be on the losing side of. It would serve Nokia well to abandon this course and seek to emulate the winning strategies of their past and of the competitors whom appear to be besting them. Thus far, Nokia has instead hired on as their new CEO, a person who had very little leadership success in the past and sided with a miserably failing platform (read: not just failing, failing miserably). Of course, it would be better to fail and ruin jobs and a whole local economy just to save face rather than admit their mistakes and seek a corrective coarse of action. This is an appalling shame. Instead of more and better competition--instead, Nokia is derping its way to leaving us with one less competitor in the market. "Nevermind!" says Elop, "It's the salesmen's fault" for not selling our excellent [failing product line] hard enough! Those terrible, terrible salespeople are far too interested in selling people quantities of other products that they're looking for JUST FOR PROFIT instead of the product we KNOW they really wanted. Sure they might disenchant the customers and they might go elsewhere--but its their fault for not pushing Nokia harder!

"The" war, you say, begins? :P No, friend, it's been running for about a year. Anyone still remember all fanboys of the Microsoft strategy (*cough* ericcson--appropriately the company of the same name is gone now too) saying things like, "This is GREAT!" and "Give it a year! You'll see!" Well... it's been more than a year now... how's that Elop+Microsoft strategy working out for Nokia again?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
and this masterpiece from nokia is a victim in this story, RIP maemo

Originally Posted by ibrakalifa View Post
and this masterpiece from nokia is a victim in this story, RIP maemo
It's another tragic case of "what could have been."

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
When someone's job is on the line because you corrected them publicly, they get snarly and nasty. You may have been right, but you should probably have emailed him directly to point that out instead, if you wanted him to not have such a reaction. To that end, however, he would do well to consult an English professor and, from the sound of it, a communication and journalism professor so that these types of incidents do not continue to threaten his career. I cannot overstate how important consistent, clear and correct communication can be, especially when your job is journalism.
I guess you are right, perhaps it would have been the better course of action, but I'm not concerned about a ban. The article author and editor which replied were not the same so his job wasn't really on the line. The author shall remain nameless just in case his job truly is at risk (which I doubt). If merely posting a correction did cause upset the person or I could easily delete the post afterwards anyway.

I'm not sure why such a reaction can be considered ordinary though. If I cannot expect an editor to suppress their emotions and not abuse their power when addressing a courteous correction then there is no reason for me to expect them to suppress their emotions and abuse of power when trying to write an impartial article. Then again, now that you mention it, it does make sense with Engadget and I should have known the outcome.

Last edited by Cue; 2012-02-20 at 18:56.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by raghavmurali View Post
can we vote elop out of nokia. is anyone from board seeing this.
maybe it is only good that maemo was killed, there is no way integrating a community that has such members with normal people.

I cannot believe myself that I could ever never say something such like this: I won't be missing you. My opinions are moving to the direction that if I keep visiting here much more, I'd probably be able to put my name under this thing from the past (those who don't know what happened then: you are probably the reason for the change of my mind. I really loved ITT and tmo at first but now....)

http://wiki.maemo.org/A_message_to_the_Maemo_Community
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Tags
blame others, deluded fanboys, kidsbeingkids, lumiadork, ms will die, salesdroids, the elop flop, wp blows