I have followed this forum for a long time, reading all the good, bad and ugly about the n900. After being certain of getting it, I found myself slowly being brainwashed by FUD, trolls and Apple marketing.

I wanted a keyboard, resistive screen, great browser with flash support, great still cam and great multitasking, didn't care about navigation, email, brick size, appstore.

Somehow, the whining got to me, and I started looking at the iphone 4.
"Nokia will not provide flash 10.1, multitasking lags, screen and keyboard to small.... At least Apple provides."
That was what I was thinking.. But today I just woke up from my brainwashed state and realized that I would be trading semi-working flash to no flash, resistive to capacitive screen, usb storage to no storage, small keyboard to no keyboard etc...

How on earth can not having a feature at all be better than having it, even if its not perfect...

I am still confused and chocked but will not be getting an iphone, but im still on the fence regarding the n900... Maybe connecting a string and two paper cups is the way to go, nobody seems to be bashing that.

Just wanted to share how FUD really can effect someone. Damn that troll magic...

The Following 52 Users Say Thank You to outdoors For This Useful Post:
Posts: 145 | Thanked: 237 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Helsinki
Your post demonstrates a very important point. Something that is constantly bashed will get a negative association in people's minds regardless of its other benefits. Eventually, even technologically inclined people will go with the safer option for emotional reasons.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jnwi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 333 | Thanked: 153 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ blah blah
what's FUD?

The Following User Says Thank You to longcat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
It should be called "brainsoiled", not "brainwashed".

I know what you mean. The trolls are fierce on this forum. I am happy to just ignore them most of the time. I love my N900 and would never trade it for an iPhone. I am still on the fence between buying a second one as a replacement/backup in case mine dies or to wait for the next Maemo/Meego device. I heard that the N9 will have a capacitive screen, so that is a turn off for me. How am I going to use OOo with a capacitive screen? How am I going to be able to use graffiti under the Garnet VM with a capacitive screen? We shall see.

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

Last edited by rm42; 2010-08-18 at 15:18.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rm42 For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by longcat View Post
what's FUD?
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikiped...inty_and_doubt

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
@rm42

Painting without pressure and without a sharp stylus is truly useless when it comes to capacitive screens (although some can paint using anything). But check out Tones latest pic. Awesome work done in mypaint on the n900 in this post: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=423

To bad this probably is the last resistive screen we will ever see. Pinch zoom vs great artwork.. apparently pinch zoom won. So sad.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to outdoors For This Useful Post:
Although the resistive screen dilemma is real, you might be suffering from Scoliosis. The FUD around here is generally spread by victims of marketing. Think for yourself, and never forget that an opinion is like an a*shole.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 45 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Montevideo
Is not brainwashing, but something older. You are getting the perception that "the tribe" moved somewhere else, and you are getting alone, and so must be wrong. Lemmings, flies and facebook are good examples of that kind of fallacy.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gmuslera For This Useful Post:
Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Originally Posted by outdoors View Post
@rm42

Painting without pressure and without a sharp stylus is truly useless when it comes to capacitive screens (although some can paint using anything). But check out Tones latest pic. Awesome work done in mypaint on the n900 in this post: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=423

To bad this probably is the last resistive screen we will ever see. Pinch zoom vs great artwork.. apparently pinch zoom won. So sad.
Excellent example. I sure hope the N900 is not the last resistive screen device. Otherwise i may just have to start hording them.

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rm42 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
Think different :P

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TiagoTiago For This Useful Post:

Tags
step away from, the keyboard