Hi Everyone
So I finally got my N900 just under a week ago and I have to say I'm less that impressed with its performance. Some of the problems I'm having include:
  • Freezing up in Applications manager: I can't do ANYTHING else on the phone while downloading something.. if I try I have to reboot
  • Phone Calls: when calls come in the phone often freaks out.. Sometimes displaying a blank screen so I can't tell who's calling and I can't pick up the call.
  • Another call issue: sometimes I can't hear the person on the other side of the call and they can't hear me.
  • Yet Another call issue: I can't receive calls/ messages while on my network internet (3-3.5 g) but Ithink this might be a common bug.
  • General: occasionally choppy for no real reason... I downloaded the system info widget on the desktop and my CPU reads 100% when I have nothing running which is really wierd (I even closed IM, WIFI, weather, facebook, etc and it still did the same thing).

There's a few other minor things but I mentioned the most annoying things above. I got the phone brand new so I don't really think it should be doing this.. Is there something I'm missing or do I just need to flash? If I do, can someone direct me to instructions on how to do so?

Thanks heaps in advance!
Monika

Posts: 678 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Jose CA
With new firmware coming out, I think you should flash the device with that new firmware.
How to flash it? see link

Another thing you could try to make the CPU down by using the OptimizeN900 script from this link.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
You can use the things linked to, but I think you should just update using the Applications Manager -- the instructions linked to are too confusing at first, I think.

Or you can follow Nokia's instructions from the Nokia site, that's another source of software update information.

You might even find some useful information in your manual.

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
Freezing up in Applications manager: I can't do ANYTHING else on the phone while downloading something.. if I try I have to reboot
That's a general problem that a lot of people seem to have. Try installing Faster Application Manager to see if that helps speeding up the install process. Don't expect to be able to do very much while you are installing. But Faster App Manager lives up to it's name.

Phone Calls: when calls come in the phone often freaks out.. Sometimes displaying a blank screen so I can't tell who's calling and I can't pick up the call.
I did not have this problem, but this too seems to have happened a lot. The PR1.3 update has been reported to have fixed this.

General: occasionally choppy for no real reason... I downloaded the system info widget on the desktop and my CPU reads 100% when I have nothing running which is really wierd (I even closed IM, WIFI, weather, facebook, etc and it still did the same thing).
Even if you have no user programs open, in the background a lot of programs, some smaller than others, are running. So, cpu usage will not be a 0% if you don't do anything, while the phone is switched on.

Is there something I'm missing or do I just need to flash?
Well, some of those I pointed out. As for flashing, try figuring out first what causes your problem. Not only will you often be able to fix it without too much effort, apart from using your brain a bit , but you will learn a great deal doing so. The flash-happiness on the forum here is overwhelming for me, as I see flashing as the equivalent of a reinstall in the Windows world. If anything is wrong, don't fix it, just reinstall. I have, so far, never had a need to flash. Just be careful when you do things and read up on your future actions if you are unsure.