Originally Posted by gnuite
don't know if this means that the device has to actually be booted in order to charge the battery (seems unlikely - more likely it needs to be booted to show the animated "Charging" icon, which seems like a waste, but whatever)
It may require the machine in an active state to charge. That would possibly explain the old issues of the battery running down while in kernel debug mode.

The new flash image defaults to EN-GB and GMT. If you aren't paying close attention, the clock is assumed to be GMT, which is going to be 4-5 hours different from EDT and CDT.

I'll bet this is what people are seeing with the time change.

Posts: 94 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Oct 2006 @ Metro Detroit Michigan USA
Originally Posted by chill633
The new flash image defaults to EN-GB and GMT. If you aren't paying close attention, the clock is assumed to be GMT, which is going to be 4-5 hours different from EDT and CDT.

I'll bet this is what people are seeing with the time change.
It appears so indeed. I can't believe I missed that! I assumed setting the time on the initial splash screen after flashing would also set the clock applet contained in the menu. It does not and it appears the applet is where GPE gets its time from.

Peter

After using this new release for a bit, it seems that the onscreen keyboard can finally keep up with me without missed or improper characters, a great improvement.

One odd thing I noticed is that when I shut the 770 off using the power button, by morning, the 770 is back on again. When shutdown, I can tap the screen and nothing happens, as I expect. But come morning, if I tap the screen, it is instant on. When I shut it off, I expect it to stay off until I press the power button again. Is there a fix for this?

I too have experienced the "device decides to spontaneously turn itself on and drain the batteries" syndrome in this and previous firmware releases. Given that the battery must be charged inside the 770 and the lack of any 3rd party external battery charger for the 770, I have had to leave my 770 at home several times to recharge due to a discharged battery. The poor controllability and random behavior of power management in the 770 is perhaps my biggest single sticking point with the device.

Hmm,

The previous 2006 release for me was always well behaved in regards to power management. I use a leather case on my 770, so I don't rely on the magnetic switch for standby. Maybe there is a timer left running on the new release that times out and reboots it...

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
If your 770 is randomly turning itself on, please report it on maemo-developers or Bugzilla with the information here:

http://maemo.org/maemowiki/ReportingRebootIssues

Cheers,

Andrew

hmm... I've got a weird problem since update :

I try to install MaemoPadPlus and, eventhough I already have it, it keeps asking for sqlite3.

It was perfectly working before upgrade.

Anybody experiencing the same problem ?

Haven't upgraded yet...doesn't seem like it is worth it. And hey, I'm lazy.

The only drawback resulting from that, so far, is that I can't install Minimo.

Originally Posted by aflegg
If your 770 is randomly turning itself on, please report it on maemo-developers or Bugzilla with the information here:

http://maemo.org/maemowiki/ReportingRebootIssues

Cheers, Andrew
I would be happy to do so if more than just two of us are experiencing the same exact thing. When I loaded the binary, there was no backup done, so totally clean install. No phone set up, no addon aps, no large RSMMC... about as stock as you can get. I do not even have xterm on it to gather the reboot stuff for bugzilla. And yes, the alarm clock is off too.

With all aps closed , home page (desktop) visible, not connected to charger and the stock cover removed, press the power button and shut the 770 off (leave cover off). Check the next morning if you can tap the screen the unit comes on as if the power button was never used the night before. The unit should stay off until the power button is pressed again, or until you connect the charger to it.
Does anyone else have the same thing happening?