Posts: 896 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Greece, Athens
Originally Posted by nokiaqueen View Post
sooo will you be developing for winOS now too? hehe
The stuff he did on maemo...is doable on winphone?

i doubt it

Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
Hey Pycage, knowing you a long time, do you really believe that WP7 isnt even worth calling a smartphone os just because it doesnt do true multi tasking. By thats standard ios is not it eitger. Nor is Android.

Now lets leave indv. Features aside. Does a phhone really need multitasking all the time? No..
It is your opinion. I think it is crazy to have multi-core smartphones (even quad core @ 1,5 GHz) without multitasking.

Hence the absolte neecd for a multitasking os is not that high apriority on a phone. Rather it should do each task well suited to its form factor and use case. So when making acall I want acall to be unhindered by multi tasks which make a call stutter on the N900.
Practical fact : open a PDF reader in Android, change to other software, then sometimes the PDF reader reopens the document at the 1st page...

So lets be objective sometimes andnot be blinded by our love for our favourite Maemo os.
It is impressive how Apple, Google and Microsoft can change people minds so that dumbed down (mobile OS) are accepted without real multitasking, open Bluetooth, screenshot capability, USB, microSD, offline maps, etc.

I own a Asus Transformer TF-101, IMHO Android 3.x/4.x is indeed a dumbed down OS. Wasting good hardware.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Last edited by rcolistete; 2012-04-17 at 14:59.

The Following User Says Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Posts: 314 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Bratislava, Slovakia
Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
Even the 5yr old N95 beats the L800 in that rating. I wish I never gave mine away Great little handset.
I´m still keeping mine in good condition

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jleholeho For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MohammadAG View Post
It's a gift for anyone with a launchpad account
It's not an upgrade nor a downgrade really, as a phone it beats all te devices I've used, quick for stuff like calls and texting.
The N900 may have offered more features but frankly, it sucked as a phone, choking when there's an incoming call.
all nice & shiny, 'til the registry gets messed up
then, back to the shop, re-flashed including but not limited to loss of all your (recent) data & start from scratch, including buying all the apps all over again
have fun

The UI is well thought out really, best there is right now, it's not a standard looking OS but anyone I've handed the device to could explore it easily, whereas with the N950 I had to explain swiping.
if they don't get swiping right away, maybe they should stick with a NOKIA 1100?

As for what's under the hood, there's not much, multitasking is suspending and resuming the apps, it even says resuming at times even with the 1.4GHz CPU, probably due to an IO bottleneck.

For the average consumer it's a good device all in all, for most Maemo power users, it's probably something you'll not want to get.

BTW, WP7 is a strong comeback really, WM sucked a lot compared to it
pity the masses don't care, huh?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
It is your opinion. I think it is crazy to have multi-core smartphones (even quad core @ 1,5 GHz) without multitasking.
Yet... a phone that has multi-tasking has hardware that was state of the art 2 years ago and yet lags occasionally. The N9's hardware is woefully behind the times by a generation.

It is impressive how Apple, Google and Microsoft can change people minds so that dumbed down (mobile OS) are accepted without real multitasking, open Bluetooth, screenshot capability, USB, microSD, offline maps, etc.
Offline maps has been on Android for almost a year. If the "smarter" OS's are so great, why are they falling to the wayside and not being developed by the majority?

Solve that and you'll be able to do what the folks at Nokia cannot do - solve why Maemo didn't catch on like wildfire.

I own a Asus Transformer TF-101, IMHO Android 3.x/4.x is indeed a dumbed down OS. Wasting good hardware.
I own a Xoom. ICS, dual core Tegra... yet when I need to do what I need to do on a tablet, it does it well. It's doubtful that I'll ever create a PowerPoint presentation or full blown AS3 project on it.

But I can. Not bad for a "dumbed down" OS.

I can't do that on that aforementioned "smart" OS at this moment though.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jleholeho View Post
I´m still keeping mine in good condition
Mine met a sad ending... It was still going strong even after 4+ years, only had minimal signs of pocket wear on it and still have the box and goodies too, I kept it as back up with the N900. Gave it to my GF (now ex) when hers died, then she wrecked it within a week. There were strings of pixels bust from it being in her bag with other junk and the chrome came off the D-pad as she kept hitting her nails against it.

Such a sad way to go for a great phone. Made me remember why I should never lend people anything.

Last edited by MINKIN2; 2012-04-17 at 17:49.

The Following User Says Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
...especially not girls as they tend to do x-actly this: stuffing things in their purses/bags, and tossing devices/remotes/phones around.

The Following User Says Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
No, WP7 doesn't do multitasking at all. It's serial tasking - same as iOS.
As someone said: strange that you need dual and more cores for
that.

Doing so without any lag, even better.

True multitasking is good for a lot of things, but if it means I can't do what I purchased the phone for (talking to people) and the lag intercepts my user experience with lag or difficulties, it serves me no use whatsoever.

N9 does well. Very well in that aspect. The N900 wasn't quite there because it would sometimes lag so much when a call was coming in that you'd miss the call (rotate from portrait to landscape was a killer sometimes) or you'd hit the same button multiple times in your rush (or anger) to get to the phone.
I am not sure what the problem was on your N900.
I just did a smooth phone call on my N900 today via loudspeaker while I was looking something up on the web browser.
No lag, no stutter.
Of course you should pay attention that your internet connection shows a firm 3.5 .

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PMaff For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Yet... a phone that has multi-tasking has hardware that was state of the art 2 years ago and yet lags occasionally. The N9's hardware is woefully behind the times by a generation.
Psion with Sibo (or Epoc 16) and Psion Epoc 32 have proper multitasking, great battery life, stable for years (my Revo+ completed 2 years without reboot). Take a look at their processors... Full multitasking is not related to the processor power, it is a design choice of the OS maker.

Offline maps has been on Android for almost a year.
Sorry, it is not true. You have to choose the region/path to donwload manually and some time later the off line maps are erased. Why have you ommited this "detail" ? With Nokia Maps on Symbian/Maemo 5/MeeGo Harmattan I can download GB of country/continental maps.

I own a Xoom. ICS, dual core Tegra... yet when I need to do what I need to do on a tablet, it does it well. It's doubtful that I'll ever create a PowerPoint presentation or full blown AS3 project on it.
I can't even trust Android "sequential" tasking for just reading long PDF texts and web sites in multiple tab/panels... while I can do it on N900 & N9 without problems.

I like good designed & engineered OS : EPOC was IMHO the best mobile OS in human history until now. Compared to it, iOS, Android, WP7 are a joke. Symbian is a lot worse than EPOC 32. Maemo/MeeGo are more open as they are full Linux mobile OS.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,161 | Thanked: 1,707 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by PMaff View Post
As someone said: strange that you need dual and more cores for
that.

I am not sure what the problem was on your N900.
I just did a smooth phone call on my N900 today via loudspeaker while I was looking something up on the web browser.
No lag, no stutter.
Of course you should pay attention that your internet connection shows a firm 3.5 .
My N900 froze 6-7 out of 10 calls i recieved. On the way up from my pocket or table etc. it went into landscape for a short second and just struggled to get back into portrait and it was here it froze and became unresponsive so lost the call.
This happend with a freshly flsshed phone, with it running powrr kernel set at 1150 and with power kernel(1150)/CSSU installed.
The N900 does alot of things great just not the phone call part.

Regards Dousan...

My Søciety6:
http://society6.com/Dousan

The Following User Says Thank You to Dousan For This Useful Post: