Posts: 863 | Thanked: 213 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Goa
this topic is dumb **** i think cuz no ideas to develope this

Posts: 110 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Bangalore
Whatever the crap is going on here, Maemo is the best mobile OS i've ever used and N900 the best phone i ever had !!!

Now please get back to your work/school/college/etc

The Following User Says Thank You to Sandeep For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
You think it's possible to port plasma active on maemo? i think it has one of the most beautiful UIs.
I mentioned Mer before in this thread, so: http://makeplaylive.com/ - "Vivaldi is powered by Mer Core and KDE's Plasma Active".
At least these two work well together. ;-)

And I'm not sure how "Can I port $foo to $bar" questions help in this thread...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Spotfist View Post
Used my other halfs android last night, she is running ICS. All I wanted to do was run a DI.FM stream but there was like zero multi tasking!?!?! WTF!
I don't understand this at all. I've got ICS and I have no problem with running audio streams in the background in various ways (podcasts, streaming audio channels/shoutcasts, flash audio streams, etc.) Why wouldn't you be able to play an audio stream in Android? I want to see how I can recreate that to fix it, if you're willing to explain.

Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
For myself, I've gotta say, I have no problem with Maemo. But then, I'm probably not looking for what other folks are.

Maemo is (so far) the only version of Unix on a cell phone that has had any support. (Android, of course, runs on top of Linux, but there's no way to get down to the Linux layer without major hacking.) I can run all my favorite Unix utilities, edit text with vim, write shell scripts, and build apps using standard languages like C++ and standard libraries like Qt. In short, it does everything I want a computer to do.

But there will be other cell phones / pocketable computers in the future running Unix. It is, ultimately, the most successful OS in history, and eventually touches every platform. I don't really care if they end up running a relative of Maemo or not, I'll still be able to bring all my favorite tools and port all my favorite creations over, because in the end, Unix is Unix is Unix...
Correction: Linux is not UNIX. Sure, it's mostly POSIX compliant, but it's not UNIX at all (for better or worse, personally I often think for a lot of the better) and it has no shared history with UNIX.

Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
The next cell phone running Unix will probably be a Blackberry with QNX. It's not a relative of maemo. I doubt it will be easy to port maemo stuff over (would love to be wrong).
Also not UNIX. :P Anyone else want to drag Amiga or BeOS into this now? Sheesh.

Originally Posted by pycage View Post
The iPhone runs Unix, too. And that's probably more of Unix than Android would be.
Hopefully Tizen will be a worthy replacement for Maemo...
Ironically, iOS is based on Darwin (Mach 3), based on BSD, and thus IS a UNIX OS. heheh.. finally, someone got their history right whether they knew it or not. (Since Android runs Linux, yes--it's not UNIX in the least.)
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
I don't understand this at all. I've got ICS and I have no problem with running audio streams in the background in various ways (podcasts, streaming audio channels/shoutcasts, flash audio streams, etc.) Why wouldn't you be able to play an audio stream in Android? I want to see how I can recreate that to fix it, if you're willing to explain.

Sorry could have been a bit more specific, when I clicked on a stream option nothing happened. it looked like it opened a page and then killed it instantly but didn't play anything.

So on my N900 it would just open up the media player and play but my big beef was that I couldn't open the media player, go back to the website (with the media player still open) and some how copy the link, go back to the media player and paste the link to play.

On my N900 I can see all of the apps minimized much like in wondows, it was simply frustrating in ICS, perhaps there is a way round it but I can only assume that the problem would be far worse if I was trying to say update a text file based on a PDF document I am reading. how would I flip easily between the two and does having a web page open add even more complexity?

In the end the other half just installed the di.fm app lol

The Following User Says Thank You to Spotfist For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Correction: Linux is not UNIX. Sure, it's mostly POSIX compliant, but it's not UNIX at all (for better or worse, personally I often think for a lot of the better) and it has no shared history with UNIX.
Ah, yes, we've got an AT&T purist here, eh? I always loved how the AT&T folks would always yell and scream and pout that all the flavors of BSD or Linux or etc were not pure Unix. That code written to run on true AT&T Unix would not necessarily run on any of the derivatives. That you were taking your life into your own hands if you tried using a non-AT&T flavor of Unix.

It took a long time, but eventually that world turned around. Being an AT&T flavor of Unix is no longer important. I can still remember the day when IBM started advertising AIX as being "Linux-compatible".

In short, stuff written to run on one flavor of Unix tends to be pretty easy to get running on other flavors of Unix. It doesn't really matter about the ancestry of the code.

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US

Also not UNIX.
OK, sure, it's not completely accurate to say that QNX is UNIX, I should have said it's a variant. But it is fully POSIX-compliant, and the point is that there will be a phone in the future that may be capable of running standard UNIX utilities.

The question is still out there of what will be the next generation of phones that has the same distinguishing SW aspects as the N9/x0s.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Spotfist View Post

Sorry could have been a bit more specific, when I clicked on a stream option nothing happened. it looked like it opened a page and then killed it instantly but didn't play anything.

So on my N900 it would just open up the media player and play but my big beef was that I couldn't open the media player, go back to the website (with the media player still open) and some how copy the link, go back to the media player and paste the link to play.

On my N900 I can see all of the apps minimized much like in wondows, it was simply frustrating in ICS, perhaps there is a way round it but I can only assume that the problem would be far worse if I was trying to say update a text file based on a PDF document I am reading. how would I flip easily between the two and does having a web page open add even more complexity?

In the end the other half just installed the di.fm app lol
Doh! You could also try installing a streaming player like XiiaLive or BUZZ Player or something.. once one of those is installed, the MIME type is recognized and the browser will launch the player as soon as you tap a streaming link.

Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Ah, yes, we've got an AT&T purist here, eh? I always loved how the AT&T folks would always yell and scream and pout that all the flavors of BSD or Linux or etc were not pure Unix. That code written to run on true AT&T Unix would not necessarily run on any of the derivatives. That you were taking your life into your own hands if you tried using a non-AT&T flavor of Unix.

It took a long time, but eventually that world turned around. Being an AT&T flavor of Unix is no longer important. I can still remember the day when IBM started advertising AIX as being "Linux-compatible".

In short, stuff written to run on one flavor of Unix tends to be pretty easy to get running on other flavors of Unix. It doesn't really matter about the ancestry of the code.
It's not a purest argument. It's a factual matter of lineage and history. If someone wrote whole new code that implements many of the protocols as another piece of code, that doesn't make the new code a derivative. It's a whole new piece of code that performs many of the same TASKS but in a different way. There was never an argument put to say that code would or wouldn't work when you migrate between POSIX OS's, just saying that Linux isn't a UNIX derivative. It's like trying to insist that ALL tissues are Kleenex. Ultimately, you can blow your nose into any tissue you want and they'll generally work fine--but you're using a SPECIFIC term to refer to a general product and that both a language and history problem. Perhaps you're a student of the Darl McBride school of mixing up your histories and code-bases?

As I'd also mentioned earlier, I prefer Linux to UNIX, so I'm not sure I understand your angle of trying to make it sound like I prefer UNIX. heh It's cute, though, and I was entertained just the same. Thanks!

Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
OK, sure, it's not completely accurate to say that QNX is UNIX, I should have said it's a variant. But it is fully POSIX-compliant, and the point is that there will be a phone in the future that may be capable of running standard UNIX utilities.

The question is still out there of what will be the next generation of phones that has the same distinguishing SW aspects as the N9/x0s.
QNX isn't even a UNIX variant. It's simply QNX and it's one of a huge number of POSIX compliant operating systems out there such as UNIX, BSD and an array of very nearly entirely POSIX compliant OS's like Linux, BeOS and so on. It's not UNIX, though. That label has a specific lineage and meaning. Why aren't you calling Linux a MINIX OS? It's MUCH more closely related to MINIX than UNIX, and even then it's actually NOT a MINIX but it was modeled on that very closely.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Maybe that UNIX discussion would become less heated when we start to talk case sensitive and distinguish UNIX, Unix and unix(oid).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
As I'd also mentioned earlier, I prefer Linux to UNIX, so I'm not sure I understand your angle of trying to make it sound like I prefer UNIX.
Here's my question: how can you tell the difference? All these various OSs have the same underlying philosophy, the same features, run the same software (at least with respect to open source code, which is most of what I use) -- if you don't call them Unix, just what do you call them? If you say you prefer Linux to Unix, just what is it about Linux that you prefer? It does have a different licensing scheme, and as you note, it was written independently from the original AT&T codebase; but these things have no impact on day-to-day usage...

Tags
buysomethinelse, not again!!, waaaahmbulance