Hi Guys,

I tried the search function to no avail.

I have followed 3 different guides about setting up windows and my n900 to stream, and followed all the procedures opening my network up and sharing all my vids etc but for the life of me cannot get the n900 to see my laptop/nas/anything.

to explain- I have one cable modem, connected to a 4 port router upstairs(this router is the one with DHCP enabled) and down in my area a wall ethernet port which i have connected to a linksys WRT54G2 wireless router(DHCP disabled) which give my laptop and n900 wireless connection.

I have done all the windows media player streaming options and made sure my network was "public" and all sharing options are "yes" but still no success.

I tried mediabox and knots, but this requires me to actually have access to the "server" icon(the one when it is actually working) on the n900, which at this point doesn't show up.

IS this because the router downstairs is not the primary router, or am I missing a fundamental step in the process?

any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

also, all my files are in the "public" folders, but the issue here is the phone is not "discovering" the router files.

I am also using the enhanced power kernel and 1.3 pr. I have tried with O/C and without O/C.

thanks in advance.

any help would be great as previously I was able to.

Thanks in advance.

need more info. is your secondary router on a different subnet? does it have a firewall enabled etc. are you using dd-wrt?

first thing I would do is try to ping the other machines or at least the primary router to see if it is reachable.

Last edited by Cue; 2010-11-20 at 04:34.

Posts: 187 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, UK
Do you use UPnP? I set up XBMC(crossplatform) as UPnP media server and works like a charm and you don't need any extra program on N900 just the default file manager and the default media player. Are you trying to use WMP 12 streaming feature? What has changed since your previous settings(the tiltle suggest it worked before) Does the PING work? IP range and subnet mask matches?

ok, I will try for more detail

So, originally, I had a modem/router/ethernet cable combo which meant the lappy was wired, and I would connect to the wifi on the same network. Problem is, the modem can only be put in a part of the house where the wifi signal is terrible. so I thought I would use my spare linksys router as a wireless AP.

so i turned off the broadcast of the out of range wifi and now the 2nd router supplies my internets to the phone and lappy via wifi.

so esentially, the router upstairs is DHCP enabled and the one down in my room(the one that is now the "network") is connected to one of the ports(not into the one marked internet as this causes the 2 routers to screw eachother).

Both routers have Upnp enabled,

i tried the old set up(the one where it would drop out of range) and it too is now non functioning.

in Windows 7 I have both the public amd home and pffice profiles set to have all sharing related options to "yes"

i have set up windows media player and the

I have checked wmp and the media devices show up in Network and sharing, but N900 still cannot for the life of it find it.

I have reset the routers and set them up again, but nothing seems to work- the n900 never gets an icon in the corner of media player.

I am not sure what i am doing wrong.

If anyone can explain to me, from scratch, what i need to do, it would help heaps.

ok, so I took the suggestion about using XBMC- and hazzah! we see what we see.

awesome thanks to you my friend. the answer is that windows Media player is crapola.

if anyone has got a WMP solution about this, please let me know however.

can anyone even give an explanation why XBMC worked, but not WMP?

Posts: 187 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by PipBoyBSOD View Post
can anyone even give an explanation why XBMC worked, but not WMP?
I havn't used much win7, but I got 1 running on my GF's laptop. To my understanding WMP12 streaming feature requires a windows live account or something like that which should only be compatibe with another WMP 12 or later edition whenever it will come out due to it's closed nature. While XBMC uses UPnP which is to my best knowlege is an open (source?) protocol.

Mind you, I had problem with WMP 12 to play UPnP streams from XP (XBMC). It's amusing that Win 7 can't acces my shared files on my XP box because I don't have password on it. XD

Edit: I spend much of the night searching the web, but didn't find much resources on the topic.
Windows Live account only required for sharing videos online in WMP. But as I recall on LAN between 2 WMPs you need to set up some sort of home network thing(sorry I don't know what it's called) which involves typing in a passkey that is ganarated by one of your machines. I think this is the reason why it wouldn't work. I belive WMP is both UPnP and DLNA compliant though.
WMP 12 can play XBMC streams out of the box, just displays them in a weird way in the library.

Last edited by fasza2; 2010-11-21 at 16:27.